Login

What are your favourite R2R programs?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: What are your favourite R2R programs?

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 pm

so I wouldn't be too surprised if the port will come sooner than later.

Now that would be awesome!
dpclarkson

Postby faun2500 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:16 pm

I use lots of the machines for effects like taking out bass and treble from a 'mid bassline' to be layered on a sub bass.

Studer 30 -10 is almost transparent for mastering.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby greekpeet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 pm

faun2500 wrote:I use lots of the machines for effects like taking out bass and treble from a 'mid bassline' to be layered on a sub bass.

Studer 30 -10 is almost transparent for mastering.

The OTR is good for this application too.

I have owned this library for well into a year, and STILL am exploring the possibilities of this. Really amazing value with everything you get, plus its fun.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dpclarkson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Little OT, but who is using Ferox from Toneboosters
after R2R & TB+ for the compression stage?
I didn't like the compressor of PSP Vintagewarmer at all;
it messed the transients too much.
Any succes stories with Ferox as the 3rd stage?
dpclarkson

Postby elam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Little OT OT,
Ferox (when it was still JB) was my tape simulation plugin before I discovered Nebula (and R2R).I especially loved the filters.I used Ferox a lot.I totally dropped it, mesmerized by the sound R2R and its almost endless sound palette.I'm agree with Pete,I'm still discovering new things every time I dig in it.(Check the Wollensak Tone dial)

Recently fighting my "Nebulite" (disease consisting of buying every library on the market and never taking time to learn it,and know it upside down ;) ) I try Ferox with Nebula as I try Roundtone and Ferric TDS (I tried Polysquasher, and Elephant,and a couple of different comp/limiter vsts too for that 3rd stage). It was a really quick test on a drum loop.Nothing scientific.Just vibing and moving knobs trying to see how close I can be from that "tape compression sound".I tried to "don't think too much"

This 3 VSTs add something unique to R2R,each of them bring you closer in a different way.I think it's more source-dependant than who is better ? Some, like Ferox are more tweakable but ... they are all usable.I need more time to dive deeper anyway.

2-When you try to flip flop the order in the signal chain,the results are really interesting too... SO imagine how much sonic possibilities are open just with playing with that...

3-I re-dig in my commercial/nebula-programs libraries and I find A LOT of really nice Pre and EQs.

4-I start exploring the combo "transparent" algo. compressor to :arrow: Nebula pre.And boy,the sonic possibilities are incredible and endless.

All that to say that fighting against my Nebulite, re-Nebulized me in a good way.Less focus on "real world " emulation and "correct" signal flow but on "Let's use my tools only focusing on what they bring to my sources".

I think I'm starting to know my libraries (...but I'm far from done yet ;) )... It feels good...

On a side note,the tape distortion I like is the really fvcked up/crunchy/60's/70's/basement funk/ghetto reggae, not the fancy Los Angeles subtle world-class studio one, just to position myself sonically, so you know what I was trying to emulate. ;)

On a side side note,JB did a couple of sonic improvements to Ferox since I was using it.They might bring interesting things on the table too...try them if you find some time...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks, elam!

As long as VTM2 is not ported to OSX yet, I'm looking
for a 'second best'.
Ferox does the job so far, I only use the compression-stage.
When it comes to tape emulation, I try to approach it as
close as possible.
I never even thought about 'flipping' the stages around.
Going to try that soon.
dpclarkson

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi there!
If Ferox is the same as JP (I think Jeroen?), and controls do the same, I personally was a big fan of what he did. We wrote each other a long while back while in the process of studying tapes. The only thing I would say about using it in chain, depending on what the latest feature set is, is whether there is a choice not to affect frequencies in Ferox. If noise floor and frequency can be avoided, I think it is a great option where VTM isn't an option for Mac, at least not yet. Porting to Mac has simply been a matter of resources and time. We already know it can be done, but time and implementation are costly and it is a struggling time in the economy, so he has to work on programming what provides an income.

As far as my early experience with Ferox, no it is not a substitute for VTM; it does have its own sound, and there are things implemented in VTM that just aren't going to happen with roundtone or vintage warmer or others. But, I really liked what was done with Ferox especially in place of the others mentioned, which have particularly plug-in-ish sound. If this isn't the same as Jeroen's plug-in, then disregard-lol :-).

dpclarkson wrote:Thanks, elam!

As long as VTM2 is not ported to OSX yet, I'm looking
for a 'second best'.
Ferox does the job so far, I only use the compression-stage.
When it comes to tape emulation, I try to approach it as
close as possible.
I never even thought about 'flipping' the stages around.
Going to try that soon.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby elam » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 am

Yeah Michael that's the one : Jeroen Breebaart (JB) who named his company Tonebooster now and still providing some really good tools.If I remember Ferox was the first tape sim.plugin (or one of the first) for non Protools users...not 100% sure...

As dpclarkson was looking for a "second best" I was talking "second best".By the way dpclarkson give a try to Polysquasher that I put in the "very" transparent quality compressor category .So when you buy VTM Mac version you can still use it as a quality mastering compressor :D Of course VTM is another beast.Reacting to the incoming signal and changing is compression level according to it like the "real deal".

Anyway always support CDSM "provider of ultra quality and ultra humanity".
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:46 am

Grrrr Michael! Now you made me go to ToneBoosters.com and get the full package to hear what Ferox is capable of now (I heard it a long time ago and didn't like it). I have Red Phatt Pro (still waiting for a 64 bit compatible "re-issue") and Barricade but never cared about trying Ferox again.

Frikkin' tiny little monster this Ferox guy is! It doesn't do that "Rev-15-499-0" or "OTR-30-499-3" sound but it's pretty close, pretty pretty close to tape (sound-wise). You know what I hate about all tape plug-ins? They add low-mid range like mad just to achieve "warmth" and that really sucks. Whatever happened to that 30ips sound where highs are "enhanced" and low-mids are "constrained"? Or that 15ips magic where highs are "tamed" not "lowered" and low-mids are "enriched" not "boosted"? Roundtone was the closest thing I had when I needed to pull a mix quick and get nice results but now Ferox seems to do the job quite well. Need to do more testing... grr the world needs a CPU-friendly non-hardware protected tape emulation that actually delivers.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries