Login

What are your favourite R2R programs?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: What are your favourite R2R programs?

Postby highvoltage » Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 pm

fuseburn wrote:It's too smeary for me and makes a Hi-end bump which I mostly don't like the character of. (the Struder)

I dont like that high end bump either, but be sure to give another try to the Struder 15ips: -6db, -9db -10db
versions, cause they have the least amount of bump.
Also the 30ips versions have a relatively gently top boost.

I like the smear tho.
highvoltage

Postby cfunck » Thu May 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Very interesting topic guys. Some cool and useful information about what I consider one of the deepest libraries in Nebula in termos of possibilities and tone shaping.

Keep them coming!
cfunck
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Yllet » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Otari 499 30 ips is great for most stuff. I too find the studers to bright sounding on some sources, due to the high end bump. Be sure to try out the Otari 499 15 as well, can work wonders on the masterbus.

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 26, 2011 8:32 pm

cfunck wrote:Very interesting topic guys. Some cool and useful information about what I consider one of the deepest libraries in Nebula in termos of possibilities and tone shaping.

Keep them coming!

The next time you're tempted to place a steep HP at a fairly high frequency try a Lafayette Radio deck program instead. Make sure to audition several different tapes (there's a big difference between each pass similar to the Wollensack).

As far as the Studer versus Otari thing, I'm intrigued. I never ever use the Otari because, frankly, it hardly sounds like tape at all, too subtle. You still get the frequency shaping to a lesser degree (so I understand why, even on a very clean mix, a super clean tape program like the Otari would be useful) so I'm not clueless as to why the programs exist. I'm sure the Otari is just a super clean deck (I would vastly prefer a Studer deck to an Otari one). But for a vintage-y tape sound (I realize not everyone using R2R is going for vintage-y sounds, but I usually am) that top end effect is critical (I don't even know what "smear" means honestly as often as it gets thrown around in mixing discussions). Not essential for every kind of mix but certainly required for a library of tape programs.

Now, if we could get an Ampex 1000 as an R2R booster pack I would truly be in tape heaven.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Yllet wrote:Otari 499 30 ips is great for most stuff. I too find the studers to bright sounding on some sources, due to the high end bump. Be sure to try out the Otari 499 15 as well, can work wonders on the masterbus.

/Jon

At 15ips the Studers only have a bump on the high end on the lower dB programs (about a 5dB bump @20KHz using the -40). The higher dB programs have the exact opposite effect (@20KHz it looks like about a 10dB drop using the 0 program). The programs more in the middle calibration-wise are more even. Levels have a major impact on the character of the Studer such that it doesn't necessarily have a drop or bump on the high end unless you make it that way. It's still a very colorful machine though (even at the levels with less high end effect), so even taking levels into account I realize it's not for everybody.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby fuseburn » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Wow, plenty of great feedback - keep it coming guys !

Ha, the Studer's Hi-Bump is level-dependant, didn't really look into that...Looks like I'll have to give it (yet) another try then 8-)

Well, I like the Studer color/smear aswell, it's just that the material I'm working with doesn't seem to like it as much.
Wouldn't call the Otari particularly clean though. It does add mojo and attitude and makes things more dense (fun to watch the harmonics come up in the spectrum analyzer when you turn nebula on). Brilliant on edgy digital sources (VST synths, cheap preamps, cheap converters etc.). It doesn't recreate the lacking resolution (how should it ? it's a tape machine...) that better gear would probably have delivered, but it does make things more enjoyable and seem expensive.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 27, 2011 12:05 am

fuseburn wrote:Wow, plenty of great feedback - keep it coming guys !

Ha, the Studer's Hi-Bump is level-dependant, didn't really look into that...Looks like I'll have to give it (yet) another try then 8-)

Well, I like the Studer color/smear aswell, it's just that the material I'm working with doesn't seem to like it as much.
Wouldn't call the Otari particularly clean though. It does add mojo and attitude and makes things more dense (fun to watch the harmonics come up in the spectrum analyzer when you turn nebula on). Brilliant on edgy digital sources (VST synths, cheap preamps, cheap converters etc.). It doesn't recreate the lacking resolution (how should it ? it's a tape machine...) that better gear would probably have delivered, but it does make things more enjoyable and seem expensive.

Sounds like my impressions of the Otari are a bit old (I have actually had this library longer than most), I'll have to start experimenting with them again.

Out of curiosity: one machine I never really got into (and, as a result, didn't really find my own uses for) is the Sony. Anyone making use of the Sony? I don't even really recall getting much of a feel for it when I was more actively experimenting with R2R.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Fri May 27, 2011 9:26 am

I really like the way Michael described it one time: the Otari tends to be a little more punchy and dynamically it is remarkable on percussive and fast transients. If a source is recorded with very fast preamps and/or mic positioning, the Otari is great. If the music style leans more towards long fluid passages then the Studer at 15 IPS might be preferable.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby tcandy_89@hotmail.com » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:39 am

Anyone else favouring the revox B77pro 0/-6 15 for heavy guitars??

Exceptionally nice rounding of the low end and addition of harmonics.......
tcandy_89@hotmail.com
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Yllet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Some love here for the GMC LF (German Mastering Console by Alexb), great round and tight low end.
Works wonders on bass and kickdrum, as well as whole mixes where the low end is a little bit lacking.

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries