Login

What are your favourite R2R programs?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

What are your favourite R2R programs?

Postby Dogbite » Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Just looking to narrow down the choices - this is for inserting on every channel as opposed to just the master buss.

I've got two projects at the moment - one which has quite a 'modern' sound and the other which is quite retro.

But which do you find the most useable?

Thx!
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: What are your favourite R2R programs?

Postby ngarjuna » Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 pm

My usual go-to for "tracking" is the Studer at 15ips. Occasionally on synths or some electric guitars I'll load up an Akai or Teac (the cassette).

For master buss I almost always use the Revox ATR (0); I just love the sound of that program for the master buss. I don't get around to using the Revox for much else. Occasionally the Studer at 30ips is more appropriate than the Revox/ATR.

For vintage-y sounding stuff, I use the Wollensak. The thing about the Wol is that each pass is crazy different from each other pass. Choosing between the 7 FullBand programs and the (I think it is) 150-tape programs is a track by track decision. I also use these Wol programs for a wide variety of effect-ish choices.

Interestingly I was at my grandfather's helping him clean out an old closet last week and he actually has one of those Wollensak/Scotch units (I think it's the same model Michael sampled), I think if I help him digitize his library I might be able to talk him into handing it over. Not sure if I'm up to the task (certainly not as qualified as Michael) of sampling some more tapes on this monster but it's something I'm definitely interested in, I get a lot of use out of this machine.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby greekpeet » Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Fully agree 100% with the above suggestions.

The Studer -15db @ 30 ips is great for the master bus and the 15 ips program @ -10 db is great for individual sounds too.

Maybe its -10 for the 30 ips, and -15 for the 15 ips program, always get em' confused but these generally are my go to 'nicerizer' type things.

Don't discredit the OTR programs either. Sometimes those work better than the Studer programs for individual sources and or master bus duties. OTR @ 30 ips can have a nice lift and 'sheen' to the sound, but with a little bit of movement of energy away from the low end (sometimes this can be good or bad, it all depends).

The Akai and Sony programs are fantastic on anything from softening/darkening certain drum loops, guitars, synths, really whatever works.

I like using these programs too for tonal and harmonic shifting for really getting sounds their own vibe but still retain a cohesive flavor for the mix. Michael gave me this great advice.

It takes A LOT of time to not only learn what each program can do, but the time on trying each tape for each sound.

Sometimes using the 'track to a Studer' and then using the other programs to tonally shape things is really awesome too.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby woeischris » Tue May 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Studer 15ips 15db for really punchy toms toms, snare, and kick; Studer 30ips 15db to add some air and soften cymbals.

Akai 250 Fast 1 or 2 for super-distorted metal guitars. I always experiment with everything else and don't usually put it on the master buss.
woeischris

Postby fuseburn » Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 pm

OTR 499 30 0
Hardly using anything else, sometimes maybe the other tape with that machine (ATR)
And I really wanted to like the Studer ;-)
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Dogbite » Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Wicked, thanks guys for taking the time to reply, that's really helpful!

Just off to try a few of your suggestions :-)
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby pat38 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 am

fuseburn wrote:OTR 499 30 0
And I really wanted to like the Studer ;-)

What is it that you dislike about the Studer?
pat38
User Level II
User Level II

Postby fuseburn » Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 am

It's too smeary for me and makes a Hi-end bump which I mostly don't like the character of. It's not particularly bad, it's rather that the Otari does the things I'm looking for even better :D. The Studer's great for certain kinds of Overheads or room mics (shiny expensive jazzy polished, 30 ips) or entire drum busses, turning signals and transients into textures, whereas the Otari shines on basically everything which needs a thick ballsy rock'n'roll attitude (guitars, basses, drums, vocals - everything !). OTR 499 30 0 for phat focus, OTR ATR 30 0 for smearing when required.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Finnish » Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks for input, fuseburn
Finnish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby woeischris » Wed May 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Interesting. I'm gonna give those a try.

I just fell in love with the Akai Slow programs for heavy distorted guitar. There are one or two in particular but I can't remember which. I used to find them kind of dull but I've come to see the Fast programs as too shrill while the Slow ones glue extremely well and can be EQed very well.
woeischris

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries