Login

what 3rd party libraries is great for mastering?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

what 3rd party libraries is great for mastering?

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 am

i just bought nebula 3 bundle,and im going to use it for mastering,what 3rd party libraries would you recommend for this purpose??
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: what 3rd party libraries is great for mastering?

Postby mertayy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 am

Almost all 3rd party releases could be used for mastering. Important thing is what do you think is missing in your masters?

First thing I bought at the time were tubes so I could get a better sound for loud rock masters since other vst plug-ins I had couldn't do what I wanted. Now I sort of have a list of releases I'll buy in time.

There are many demo's but first I think best is to compare your masters to professional ones and figure out what you need. You can post sound examples here too some maybe someone else might notice something that could be useful for you.
mertayy

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 pm

thanks for your reply

heres some previews of some tracks of mine on soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/eroticore-stench

i was actually thinking about the tube collection myself,but would like to hear what your opinions
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby mertayy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:34 pm

well my experience is limited with electronica mastering. Alexb has a library called MTP, there's a demo at his website but other presets from this librarys (to me) sounds much better and can be used for mastering (I used them for 1-2 songs for a friend whose into electronica, the improvement was huge). When they will be available again make sure to check them.

What I can also comment is inserting nebula on mix stage really gives life to "too computer sounding" music if that becomes a goal. From my limited experience of mixing electronica, tube library really helped me with this and I guess console programs could work well too.
mertayy

Postby Barendse » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 pm

To my ears Nebula could be very usefull for (home)mastering, there a lot of (free) options:

EQ: GML, API5500,Summit Audio EQP200A, Mammoth (MP) etc.
(Try the free Mammoth smile curve!)

Subtle tapesaturation: DTE from AlexB (free, waiting for the full release which will be sounding better for sure)

Subtle Tube fx: there are 6 free programs from cdsounsmaster you can try. I now for sure one of them is quite clean and could be usefull for mastering.

Compression: I'm having a hard time finding a digital compression plug I like. Still waiting for Nebula to do the compression trick ;-).

Oh and Ms Smith of course, again a free program. Great m/s widener from Transcending Music Studio's.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

More than a sample of music, the question is going to come down to what you expect to be doing in 'mastering'. The 'M' word means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. A professional mastering engineer is going to be looking for a somewhat different set of tools than a mixing engineer who is going to DIY some masters.

But to me, the most obvious place to begin would be CDSoundmaster's Mastering Pack
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/software. ... hor1807429

CDSoundmaster is himself a mastering engineer so I would imagine these are some of his go-to tools.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:11 pm

There's plenty of artists render their digital mastering through tape machine. So the great CDSoundMaster R2R is essential for mastering, at least that's my original intention to buy it for mastering purpose. And I found even batch individual tracks through R2R made a mix more cohesive and easier to mix.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby tumburu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 pm

You can buy the mastering pack from CDSoundMaster, especially if you are working on 44.1kHz and don't have a fast computer. It can cover a lot of ground if you like the sound (which is good, a bunch of different flavours there).

If you're more picky, you could make yourself a selection of the equalizers you want to use. The best from my experience are the GEQ (cdsoundmaster) and Mammoth (analoginthebox). You can do a lot with only these two. If you have funds, you can definitely go for the PeakEq and NiceEq (cdsm) and BlackMasterEq (alexb). Having these will give you so much options like only big mastering studios have regarding the choice of eqs.

I have all of them and I admit, I use the individual eqs more than the mastering pack.

I also have the "mastering" preamp from Alex but only found a use for it in the mix, where it is very nice, never in mastering. I tried but it didn't work for me, al least not until today. Sounds too colorful for that. But YMMV.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 pm

thanks you very much for your replys,i will try some of the free samples this weekend,and see what fits my needs
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Barendse » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm

vicnestE wrote:There's plenty of artists render their digital mastering through tape machine. So the great CDSoundMaster R2R is essential for mastering, at least that's my original intention to buy it for mastering purpose. And I found even batch individual tracks through R2R made a mix more cohesive and easier to mix.

Still don't have that one, I think it's a little bit pricey for a Nebula program but maybe I will get them one day. I'm using the Studder A81 programs with the booster + programs for track rendering. Does the trick quite well I think.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries