Login

Slate VTM VS Nebula R2R + Tape Boost ETC...

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Slate VTM VS Nebula R2R + Tape Boost ETC...

Postby KP2009 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:14 am

Hey Nebula Family has anyone compared the Slate Tape Release to the Nebula Libraries like R2R+Tapeboost or Henry Libraries??

Just wanted to see if any reviews here..

KP2009
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Slate VTM VS Nebula R2R + Tape Boost ETC...

Postby lipa » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:06 am

I'm curious too.. from reviews on forums I've only concluded that it's noticably less subtle than uad tapes.. too me it must be overdone then.. but maybe it's some new quality level (for algo plugs) cause it's supposed to be cpu heavy.. :?:

I prefer nebula over any of those anyway.. :mrgreen:
lipa

Postby Vernon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm

lipa wrote:I prefer nebula over any of those anyway.. :mrgreen:

Me too...
I've just downloaded the Slate VTM demo and made some tests on a drum track (R2R + TapeBooster + VTM-M2 vs Slate VTM).
The Slate VTM sounds good but IMHO the R2R chain works in a better way, more natural and with more roundness.

Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby KP2009 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Too me Nebula wins hands down on Tone, reverbs, Pres, tubes, consoles, EQ and Comps with some of the Newer libraries from AlexB and CDsoundmaster TDC and others..

Wondering if its a Clear Win with the Tapes as well.. Probably.. :mrgreen: Wanted to get user opinion on the slate release.. Tried the Waves version didn't like at all.. UAD is pretty good.. I personally have the R2R and Tape Boost and it wins over the others but Don't have ilok 2 to demo that slate release..

Many cry about the work flow.. I choose sound over work flow any day!

:D :D
KP2009
User Level X
User Level X

Postby SWAN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Slate is getting some pretty good feedback...its easier to drive...and to be honest I think algo plugs can sound more dynamic? However my fear is the ever present plastic sound that can happen...which Nebula does not suffer from. Thing is you have to stack 2/3 tapebooster plugins as well as the R2R per track and then VMMT after that which is quite a chain...
Ive heard one Neb user say he thinks Slate VTM is as good in terms of sound...but I would have to try it to be convinced.

Im not mad keen on buying anything by slate as I find him excessively irritating...but if it was really good I might consider it.

I thought it was a bit naughty how they mistreated the 'kernal based' competitor in the tech video...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby KP2009 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:36 am

anymore feedback?? :D
KP2009
User Level X
User Level X

Postby DavidMeShow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm REALLY surprised by the Slate VTM. Since I been using Nebula tapes for a long time, Slate VTM is a fast way to give "colors" to the sound but for people who like transparent result, you should stay with Nebula. But for people like me who prefer to have a fast workflow, you should really take a try at this one because it's a really great plugin in my opinion ! :)
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

I am very curious about what the Slate plugin can do that CDSM's VTM-M2 can't...? I totally get how Slate's can be a great add-on for R2R and TB+, but isn't VTM-M2 doing what the Slate plugin does? Honestly, I haven't tried Slate, but I love the CDSM one, and also think that product support is second to none. Curious though what y'all think.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Grim » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:42 am

am very curious about what the Slate plugin can do that CDSM's VTM-M2 can't...? I totally get how Slate's can be a great add-on for R2R and TB+, but isn't VTM-M2 doing what the Slate plugin does?

I don't own VTM-M2 but my understanding is that it is intended (if not exclusively) as a 3rd stage to use after R2R & TB+ to give a full tape emulation. On it's own I don't think it does complete tape sound?
Slate VTM is more a full emulation in the one plug.

I'm finding it hard not to really like VTM...it just makes things sound better & while maybe not as open sounding as Neb, it's character is certainly appealing. Its default setting gives a considerable low end boost but that can be tuned out...annoyingly though the processed sound is always louder than bypassed despite the supposed auto level matching.

I love R2R, TB+ as well as Nag tape, some of the new HO tapes & the YUV tapes & this isn't going to replace them but it has found a place (for me) alongside them.

If you can try it yourself then give it a go, but if you have no iLok 2 don't sweat it as you have amazing options already.
Grim

Postby DavidMeShow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:36 am

+1 to Grim post !

For people who are already happy using Nebula, you will maybe not feel so excited with Slate VTM... but for a lot of people who wants to have a faster workflow without being too technical, Slate Digital VTM is a must to make your tracks more "analog" sound. :)

I love both ! For different reasons ! :D
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries