Login

4K Dynamics Pro (AlexB) vs Snap Compressor (AITB)?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

4K Dynamics Pro (AlexB) vs Snap Compressor (AITB)?

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Did a search for differences between these two, to me similar compressors, but didn't find any info. Seems like many have both.

What is the main difference?

Downloaded the Snap Compressor manual and couldn't find any info about samplingrate, so guess it's 44,1 kHz like the other AITB releases?

There is a 50% off sale today at AITB, so I would really like to know if someone could give me some info/experience!

Best
dagovitsj
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: 4K Dynamics Pro (AlexB) vs Snap Compressor (AITB)?

Postby fpoitevin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:02 am

I own both, and I've just finished a hardware clone of the S*L buscomp (gyraf).

The AlexB 4k is sampled with only the bus compressor. The AITB Snap is sampled with other parts of the console (By the way, I'd like to know what was the signal path in the console to get this sound...).

In my experience, the AlexB is the closest to my hardware unit (a clone), but I really prefer the Snap sound. It gives something that everyone calls "3D". In this case, it's obvious. More width, more depth.

BUT... the dynamic behavior of the Snap is not the same as the hardware unit. For me, it works perfectly with slow attack, fast release and no more than 1 or 2 dB of GR.

To conclude, I'd say that the Snap is less "dry" than the AlexB 4k, which is the closest to the hardware.

In fact, I would like to know what AITB added to the signal path to sample the Snap. I would add the corresponding circuit in my hardware clone. I really really love this sound.

All the best.
fpoitevin
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks a lot, fpoitevin for that thorough explanation.
Purchased just a minute ago ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby lipa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am

so.. anyone else compared snap to other S*L options? I'm using alexb clc console master (or the new henry summo lib) + the glue all the time.. (i like 4kd master comp but somehow I feel I don't loose anything if I use glue.. and it's so easy to set up.. so how snap stacks up with those? ;)
lipa

Return to 3rd party libraries