Login

cdsoundmaster - Roland mmp-2

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

cdsoundmaster - Roland mmp-2

Postby Yllet » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Cdsoundmaster releases the Roland mmp-2. Anyone tried it? Seems like an interesting idia, but no demo.

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: cdsoundmaster - Roland mmp-2

Postby indravayu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I would be interested in trying it out, but this is one of those few instances in which I already own the hardware being sampled! :D
SYSTEM:
MB: Intel DP35DP
RAM: 8GB
DAW: Sonar Producer 64bit
indravayu
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mertayy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 pm

I never knew of such unit, looks interesting. Also I wouldn't be surprised in Mangel came out with interesting sampling ideas for it :)
mertayy

Postby bottom1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 am

Is the COSM the same as in the Roland V-Synth?
bottom1
User Level V
User Level V

Postby vicnestE » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 am

COSM in guitar amp simulation is not the best around even compared to FREE preamp simulator + nebula free cabinet programs.
I wonder how it works for microphone/rec-pre modelling.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby vicnestE » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:20 am

A manual or some audio demos would be a great showcase.
Very intersting in the outcome.

From the web site: "This Nebula release proudly recreates the high-points of the now discontinued MMP-2 in a more advanced VVKT format"
I wonder how a sampled sound excel the orginal "simulation" hardware while the original has lots of knobs for adjustment.
If you sampled the orginal hardware instead of this simulated one, it would be very convincing due to the good outcomes from your previous Nebula programs.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby indravayu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 pm

The MMP-2 was designed to be used with an AKG C3000B condenser mic - unfortunately, I no longer own that mic (never really liked it, to tell the truth). You can use other mics, of course, but the modelling is supposed to have the highest accuracy with the C3000B.

When I was using the MMP2 extensively (back in 2002-2003), I knew very little about recording, so could never tell if the modeling was good or bad - I just used whatever presets seemed to fit what I was recording and left it at that. Aside from mic modeling, the unit has on-board compression, expansion, de-essing and EQ, which i assume wasn't sampled for this.
SYSTEM:
MB: Intel DP35DP
RAM: 8GB
DAW: Sonar Producer 64bit
indravayu
User Level II
User Level II

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 am

Hi everyone!

First of all, All information will be posted soon. The manual and audio samples are complete. I just have to finish links and test uploading.

The MMP collection is unique and I don't think it will appeal to everyone. But, I think it is in the category of 'modern classic' and is a worthy and interesting collection. For the person that owns one, yes it would be redundant to own in both forms. If you were using the presets in the hardware unit on a daily basis for tracking, you might enjoy having them inside Nebula for mixing as well. But, there are is a series of important individual analog hardware coming right around the corner to keep your eyes on as well:)

The transformation to Nebula's use of harmonics is an improvement over the original COSM process. Although subtle, this is something that was exciting to me and found useful. Roland did an excellent job on the hardware pre-amplication units included. Some of them are extremely similar to comparative units. It is true, sampling these directly from the hardware represented to Nebula is the best process for those individual units, but keep in mind this is an entire collection, a library all focused on what this one hardware device offers.

A few important notes:

Part of the reason that the original Roland MMP-2 didn't sell better, is that it was a poor-timing choice to cross-promote a preamp device with an AKG microphone that initially seemed like it had as strong a market share, but ultimately is not one of the more successful mics. The Roland modeling for the mic side of things was a nice touch, but was the weaker portion of the preamp's concept. The preamp items included are based upon harmonics and frequency. The harmonics are dependent upon the live microphone input source, which means that it is possible to preserve dynamically inside Nebula.
The COSM concept for harmonics works very nicely. I sampled it using only a portion of the adaptive character of the compression, and did include the few enhancer portions. The results definitely have the original character of the unit. Because it is sampled in analog and not digitally, the full process contains the personality of the preamps and the processing as well.
The programs included are several preamp units, a couple of originals I tweaked for best results, all in full harmonic mode, med, light, and clean. There are nearly all of the unit's original instrument programs tailored for a nice outcome.
What also makes this unique is that the instrument programs are created to make a source sound its best while being recorded. In the past, I have created things like The Producer's Pack based upon my mixing experience. In the case of the MMP2, this perspective is placed in taking what could be a flat or dull source recording and making it sound as good while recording as possible.

Also, I know one person mentioned not being impressed with the COSM process for guitar amps. The technology itself has been used in many forms and has been watered down over the years for use in the BOSS line and secondary processes. Personally, I think that the primary use in items like the VG-88 where the guitar and amp are both being modeled, and items like the Roland Cubes, that the COSM is remakably good, dynamic, and responsive. I don't worry about if it sounds like the exact source as much as whether it inspires me as a guitarist, which it does. I play really well through the VG88(not upgraded, just regular one). For more purity, I'm continually impressed with a Vox AD60vt closed back that I think is very much true to the stomp boxes and AC-15/30 with top boost.

But, that is getting off the subject.
I will post full info, manual, and demos as soon as they are complete. Again I don't think this collection is a perfect match for everyone. If you aren't sure about it or are curious about other high end analog items coming soon, then don't buy it just to have it. I feel it has a place in the Nebula universe and is one of those unique concepts that I'm happy to see it preserved for historical purposes:) !
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 am

Now Available!

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/software.html

MMP Info:
Online Manual:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/mmpmanual.html

Adobe Acrobat Manual: (see online manual for preamp graphs)
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/mmpmanual.pdf

Audio Samples:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/mmpmp3.html

Free Demo Programs:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/Mac-PC/MMP/MMPFree.zip

I hope you enjoy!

Keep your eyes open. Something new is around the corner...
Something very analog...
:)

cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ericus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:22 am

CDSoundMaster wrote:Keep your eyes open. Something new is around the corner...
Something very analog...
:)

Something very analog will be released soon? Any hints? :mrgreen:
ericus

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries