Login

GMC from Alexb

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: GMC from Alexb

Postby david1103 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:37 pm

alex, fantastic news on resampling at 44.1!!!

can't wait for the Black Master eQ PRO to be resampled. i hope it gets the new trim command with it :)

also, if you felt like making a switch to shift between shelf and peak rather than seperate programs would make it even more incredible. it is maybe the best nebula EQ for flexibility and sound... and please keep it stepped!! :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Spacey » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:01 pm

I might be able to swallow the cap theory, but a cheap cable that is not limiting the amount of power able to pass through the cable (audio is extremely little compared to the 60amp 60v continuous that I use and pass through a 10Awg cable).....so there is no reason any cable regardless of cost as long as the cable is thick enough would sound 'better'... I just do not buy the whole cables make a difference to the audio.

RF interference for sure, some cheap cables have nothing to protect the signal from this....but in a lot of cases a coat hangar is just as good as those stupid Monster Cables costing hundreds of $.
Spacey
User Level I
User Level I

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Absolutely caps, resistors, etc and how they are put together have a big role. As far as cables go, there are basic things to remember. The resistance of wire is proportional to length. While cable capacitance is an issue at higher frequencies (higher then audio signals), it only matters when the source impedance is very high and the cables are very long. So for example, it is a non issue for short speaker wires. The thicker/fatter the wire, the less resistance & inductance it contains with the trade-off of higher capacitance. So think about it: a pretty small or intimate set-up: go for thick and fairly short cabling with good shielding (except for speaker cables shielding isn't needed nor desired). Certainly helps using pro gear with low output impedances.
As long as the shielding is suffice, the quality of the build and soldering is solid, and a good thickness is present the cable is good. Expensive brand names are snake oil, Monster is a good example.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 am

if you are NOT able to hear a difference in a piece of wire ... then ... don't worry about it.

As for cable length ...

We did extensive listening test with several engineers [back in the 80's]. MONSTER CABLE had delivered a package of cables for evaluation [they did NOT tell us the price :| ] The reference cables at the studio was the stock 'Belden' cable [used to cut COUNTLESS numbers of Hits & CRAP through recorded history.

Months afterward [having tracked several albums] using some of 'their' cables, many observations were made. One IMPORTANT one was this ... it was NOT possible to track with Monster cable, and then come back later and do a 'punch-in' with the regular Belden cable. It was a different sound. end of story.

The arguments that that there is or not a difference is very conclusive ... now whether you prefer one over another is subjective.

BTW ... cables were gifted to us ... when the studio made the conversion to add the Mitsubishi digital recorders, they rewired the entire facility.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 am

Well we know there is difference between different cables and this makes a bigger difference with high Impedances.Guitarists know this because of the high end roll off from capacitance.

Some guitar guys like those long coil cables because of the filter effect it has from inductance and capacitance.This will also be affected by design thickness, length , materials ,Thats including the jacks!! all parts add up subtly
A few months ago i was going to request somebody sample cables ,really!! Ha 10ft,25ft ,50ft 100ft.......
You could put them in the signal chain for subtle roll off 8-)

I remember reading that albert collins used to have a 100ft cable and then turn the treble up to max on his guitar amp to achive his tone

In my earlier post I was talking about cable direction had a more subtle difference after break in.Now I sound crazy!!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:56 am

RJHollins wrote:if you are NOT able to hear a difference in a piece of wire ... then ... don't worry about it.

As for cable length ...

We did extensive listening test with several engineers [back in the 80's]. MONSTER CABLE had delivered a package of cables for evaluation [they did NOT tell us the price :| ] The reference cables at the studio was the stock 'Belden' cable [used to cut COUNTLESS numbers of Hits & CRAP through recorded history.

Months afterward [having tracked several albums] using some of 'their' cables, many observations were made. One IMPORTANT one was this ... it was NOT possible to track with Monster cable, and then come back later and do a 'punch-in' with the regular Belden cable. It was a different sound. end of story.

The arguments that that there is or not a difference is very conclusive ... now whether you prefer one over another is subjective.

BTW ... cables were gifted to us ... when the studio made the conversion to add the Mitsubishi digital recorders, they rewired the entire facility.

It really depends on what a person means when they question the difference in a cable. WHat I mean by this is it isn't about "magic wire" vs. "something else" but it's about the build. Which is why there are differences so to speak between different brands, I don't know how Monster builds their cables but I can imagine perhaps some techniques implemented such as extensive shielding that would alter the sonics of the signal being ushered through it. The point was that using basic wire and making a properly built cable is suffice. The other end of this is that a company implements superflous things into their build which would adversely affect what you're hearing. In essence, we're saying the same thing here just coming from the opposite ends of the perspective.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:11 am

Hi TRANS !

I too am not sure we see or hear it different :lol:

The only thing I DO know is that the hype today did NOT exist when we did our test. In fact, it was just a piece of cable to try. Today, its' a whole new story, and one that I'd gladly skip [that is, unless someone comes by the studio and lets me listen ... then decide. But I gotta say ... as the price of this stuff goes too CRAZYLAND, the more inclined I hope that I DON'T hear a revelation in sonic delivery :lol:

I do recall one test on cable length ... I think we strung some 300 feet of cable, one Beldin the other monster, and did A/B switching in the control room.
This was pushing the extremes, but the conclusions were quite obvious. We even compared a 10 foot run of Beldin to the 300 foot run of Monster. We were surprised.

For those that say, who uses 300 ft runs ... well, maybe true ... but I would remind that in some studios, a 160 ft run from the mic input lines in the studio that are run through walls or ceilings into the control room patch bay IS a reality [AND expense] that sound stage studios must incur.

Oh, and before anyone wants to take issue with my comments ... knock yourself out :lol: I don't care about what anybody ends up doing with their final tracks, be it MP3's or Cambell's soup cans ... and I guess this goes for using NEBULA ... I go with what I hear, and I do like it. 8-)

All this said ... cable is not the only issue of opinion ... we had this with master tapes running 1/2" at 30ips, or 1/4" at 15ips [and all combinations between and beyond]. Oh, and then the issue of whether our monitor amps should be 'tubes' or solid-state.
None of these are as trivial at first glance ... and I humbly admit I am STILL a student.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 am

I'm confused!

Where do I plug the cables into Nebula? :arrow:
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sneaky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 am

AlexB wrote:I think to release ALL my libraries, olds and news, at 96kHz and 44.1kHz. Also, the vintage N**e 33609 will come with other compressors in the next months...

33609 ?
sneaky

Postby Barendse » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:21 am

sneaky wrote:
AlexB wrote:I think to release ALL my libraries, olds and news, at 96kHz and 44.1kHz. Also, the vintage N**e 33609 will come with other compressors in the next months...

33609 ?

No. 44.1!!! I just hate the src thing.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries