Login

GMC from Alexb

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

GMC from Alexb

Postby darren » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi folks,

I recently got the German Master Console (GMC) from Alexb and I'm trying to get into using it right now.

Could anyone here who is familiar with the library maybe show me a couple of examples of signals passed through the input model and output model?

I am making tests here but I am not hearing any 'magic' yet ;) I don't doubt that there is magic though.. maybe I am not using it correctly.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Re: GMC from Alexb

Postby mathias » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm

as the name implies (...mastering...), it is very transparent, not much colouring going on.

to my ears, it acts on transients and adds a kind of dimension to the sound, all very subtle.

try increasing input and drive, to get it to act more hearable.

i use it for finalizing mixes, that should be clear and open, but need a little compact feeling and punch.
as said this is very subtle.

the effect of this library is more prominent, when you use the inputprograms on tracks, plus the output on busses or masterbus.
here i hear a better separation of soundsources, while at the same time they glue together in a good way.

have fun experimenting,
mathias

p.s. the eq of this library is great, i love it!
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby darren » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for your insight into this.

I have tried pushing the input up until I can start to hear the artifacting, bringing the output level down accordingly - but I still think, as you say, it is very subtle.
I really need to listen to the Input/Output nice and loud but my 5 month old Son is always asleep it would seem :) And my AKG K240 headphones are really not up to the task. I have to grab time on speakers when I can get it!

Yes, I really like the EQ too :) Nice top end, I have not tried to work with the bass end much yet.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby studjo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Try bass at 60hZ. Omg :D
studjo
User Level I
User Level I

Postby AlexB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:11 pm

The main characteristics of this Mastering Console are:
- transparency
- depth
- separation
- width

I think that it's quite impossible to hear these characteristics with headphone... You need the air-movement by monitor speakers ;)

Perhaps I'm wrong but I haven't seen any mastering engineer do this job with headphones 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby darren » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Of course you are right :) It's quite impossible to judge width on headphones - they are just too linear.

I think the EQ is beautiful, but perhaps the input/output stages are way too subtle for my usage.
If there is subtle width/depth being added then cool, I need to look into that further and explore the possibilities there. Currently, after testing on some decent monitors (albeit at low volume) I still was unable to detect any change in character with the material I test it with. It's VERY subtle ;)

Maybe I need, instead, the in/out on your classic blue model combined with the EQ from the GMC.

Would you say that the input/output stages on MBC, MTC, MWC, CLC, VBC and MLC were more characterful and less subtle than those of the GMC?
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 am

My problem is that I can hear every little change as 1/2m of microphone cable added, so for me nothing is so transparent at the sound. In mastering I prefer to not use any input console but only the Mixbuss by GMC with his eQ.
VBC, MBC, MTC and MWC are more coloured since they are mixing console but generally a good console is without color that untouch the sound, this is the main goal of the constructors. If you look at colors it's better to use preamps.

However this winter I have recapped this console with better caps (rare Rubycon instead Nichicon and Panasonic) and the sound has been improved in depth and width and a little in details. I think to resample the whole console in the next month: input, eQ, compressor, mixbuss.
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby nino » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 am

at Yamaha HS50M with HS10W you can really hear difference for any of Alexb library preset(consoles,preamps..),
GMC is great, add 4db of 40hz (if your mix lacks bass of course) and bass gets separated and augmented in such a pleasant way.

Tested all consoles (from alexb demo listening room)
at Genelec 1038 and they differ even more on those monitors.
nino
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:05 pm

AlexB wrote:However this winter I have recapped this console with better caps (rare Rubycon instead Nichicon and Panasonic) and the sound has been improved in depth and width and a little in details. I think to resample the whole console in the next month: input, eQ, compressor, mixbuss.

Hi AlexB ... are you speaking of the GMC console to
be resampled ??
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Yes, I speak about GMC.
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert