Postby Yllet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:25 pm

No-brainer, just ordered :)
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: Mammoth EQ - Now available for purchase

Postby farjedi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Fishmac wrote:Hi everyone!

This library was sampled with very superb equipment (Prism converters, vovox cables, etc.), so the SRC shouldn't be a problem when used at higher rates.
I was wondering about the percentage values as well, but the reason it was chosen instead of db values is - you could not believe the db values. Like the original unit, these programs will give you different peaks depending on the bandwith. There is a maximum of 20 db, which you get on 100% bandwith settings. But if you lower the bandwith, the amount of gain will differ. This is one reason why this eq is so different to other parametric concepts and of course is also a reason why it sounds so musical and smooth.
The same goes for the shelf filters. The amount of bandwith controls a boost at the frequency its set here, so you can go from a regular shelving filter to a strong attentuation of the chosen frequency.
These concepts combined give you a great possibility to combine curves in a way that allows rich soundsculpting.
The answer in short: There are no db values because you could not trust them.

Regards,

Fishmac

That makes sense...
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:14 am

Ok, answering some more questions:

also just curious to any rough date fro when the compressor programs are gonna be ready i have been waiting for months!!

It is still not possible to sample compressors in a perfect way as we can do it for EQs right now. Due to this we won't release it until Giancarlo has some some spare time to get back to this topic.

either the server or my bandwidh is quite slow this morning.

Yes, we realized that. It seems our host has some trouble. They move all servers to a new datacenter in the night from sunday to monday. I guess they prepared/are preparing the move and that's causing the temporary bad performance. At this moment everything is working as usual- I'm downloading with 3.5MB/s from this server.

How dose this compare to Doc Fear?

You can achieve results similar to Doc Fear with Mammoth EQ. Not to close, Mammoth is tends always to be a bit more natural whilst Doc Fear has a is more colored. Further the Mammoth is more flexible.

is it possible to just delete the distortion kernals/save as new programs and make versions that are 'clean'

It is not possible for users. We need to prepare it. If you really need this, then we could implement something like that in the expansion. Maybe a Clean, 1K "perfect" version using "STONE" then.

Thats why making a 10kernel preamp program through the device is good, so you can have one of those after your clean eq presets.

10 kernels doesn't mean automatically that the results will be "better" -> closer to the hardware. You have to find a compromise. More kernels make sense for a unit with more harmonic distortion, but not for this one. The more kernels you use the more H1 gets gets affected or even damaged by the implemented harmonics. For Mammoth we tried a 5K version and it was not satisfying to us.
Another thing is: If you work this way your results will be "wrong". The relationship between used harmonics from the 10k program and the settings of your clean programs is "wrong". However, it IS a good idea to work in this way if you have the right unit. It's what we did on the 1073 for example. But for Mammoth we didn't see the need of that.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Johnkenn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:31 am

I just bought this - didn't read the requirements. Will this work with the OSX version of N3?
Johnkenn
User Level I
User Level I

Postby tumburu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:35 am

Yes.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:39 am

I just bought this - didn't read the requirements. Will this work with the OSX version of N3?

John, I sent you an e-mail that provides you the needed Mac version.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby tumburu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:18 am

Oh, I forgot it only has a windows installer :mrgreen:

I'm used to these pc installers because I use crossover and can run them.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby vicnestE » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 am

1kernel programs will be great. And it will make the expansion pack a lot attractive for my old computers.
And thanks for clarifying the more kernel =/= better sound
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:27 pm

thanks for your answers.

i don't know about a 'stone' version, i was not thinking it needed that.

would you be able to release an identical version of the current library but with just clean 1k versions of all the programs? that would be AMAZING :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries