Login

Mastering EQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Mastering EQ

Postby ce1909 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 am

Interested in any user suggestions or preferences for mastering eq programs. My stuff ranges from pop, rock, jazz-fusion & classical.

-pros/ cons?
Mammoth
Mastering Suite
German Mastering Console
Vintage Master eq
others..

thanks
i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, Win7 x64
ce1909
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby sneaky » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:00 am

Got mammoth and vintage master as well but I use this and nothing but:http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/en/german_mastering_console.htm
sneaky
Member
Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am

Hi ce,

Well, I too have most every lib you've mentioned ... including the 'others' :) .

Not sure what Pros/Cons I could relay that would be helpful to you, as each lib you've mentioned could be used. Guess that doesn't help much ... :roll:

For mastering ... it would be tough to ignore the 'Mastering Suite' from CDS. Two main reasons come to mind. Flexibility and Range.
The eq's included within this suite offer very 'musical' static frequency choices, in a number of 'Q' widths. There are also 'sweepable' ones.

The quality of sound is the, usual, excellence that Michael delivers.

If there is any type of coloration added, hmmm, well it is NOT something that gets in the way.

Another aspect ... the suite seems to load rather quickly, and doesn't seem to hit my system like other libs.

There are other libs out there, and I'm sure others will try to help. But I thought to focus on this one first. You might consider grabbing the PDF manual to read up on it, in particular as a reference point to other libs you may be considering.

Hope this helps.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby lipa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I would add Black mastering eq (A*I 5500).. it's my favourite for pop/rock - energetic music.. where You don't need much color but effortlessly pushing forward certain freqs..

but.. I do own most mentioned eqs.. I only have demo of german mastering console.. but use it's +4db highs often too!..

It's really down to particular song/mix.. If more into acoustic kind off stuff You probably would like mammoth a lot.. or the new tube trek!! It has best highs in the world but no mids (low mids) to fiddle with.. so plenty of choices.. why not download demo for each and try?
User avatar
lipa
Member
Member
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby ce1909 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:48 pm

sneaky wrote:Got mammoth and vintage master as well but I use this and nothing but:http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/en/german_mastering_console.htm

Thanks,

How do you typically treat your source track using GMC?
Channel Stereo->comp, eq's-> Mix Buss Clean-> Limiter
i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, Win7 x64
ce1909
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby ce1909 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:52 pm

RJHollins wrote:Hi ce,

Well, I too have most every lib you've mentioned ... including the 'others' :) .

Not sure what Pros/Cons I could relay that would be helpful to you, as each lib you've mentioned could be used. Guess that doesn't help much ... :roll:

For mastering ... it would be tough to ignore the 'Mastering Suite' from CDS. Two main reasons come to mind. Flexibility and Range.
The eq's included within this suite offer very 'musical' static frequency choices, in a number of 'Q' widths. There are also 'sweepable' ones.

The quality of sound is the, usual, excellence that Michael delivers.

If there is any type of coloration added, hmmm, well it is NOT something that gets in the way.

Another aspect ... the suite seems to load rather quickly, and doesn't seem to hit my system like other libs.

There are other libs out there, and I'm sure others will try to help. But I thought to focus on this one first. You might consider grabbing the PDF manual to read up on it, in particular as a reference point to other libs you may be considering.

Hope this helps.


Thanks, yes it does help. I read, saw a vid & like his approach to mastering & eqing in general.
Gentle on the cpu is always a + too.
i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, Win7 x64
ce1909
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby ce1909 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:54 pm

lipa wrote:I would add Black mastering eq (A*I 5500).. it's my favourite for pop/rock - energetic music.. where You don't need much color but effortlessly pushing forward certain freqs..

but.. I do own most mentioned eqs.. I only have demo of german mastering console.. but use it's +4db highs often too!..

It's really down to particular song/mix.. If more into acoustic kind off stuff You probably would like mammoth a lot.. or the new tube trek!! It has best highs in the world but no mids (low mids) to fiddle with.. so plenty of choices.. why not download demo for each and try?



Thanks,

I've been checking a few demos out & like what I hear so far.

Defiantly will check out the Black too.
i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, Win7 x64
ce1909
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Mastering EQ

Postby mitch » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:43 pm

I would say that there are two major categories for eq's:
-the vintage/tubes ones
-the modern/solidstate ones

I don't know well their analog counterparts, but I own a lot of libraries, and I can say that when you insert a vintage EQ, it does almost allways make something else than only work on the frequency area you choose, and this aspect is level and boost range dependent.
Very usefull, but can be harmfull on a two tracks.

You have to know each eq well to be able to know how/when it will happen.
For instance you will have something subtle on low boosts, and when boosting more than 6 dB or so, you'll see the overall tone change.

For me it is more the modern ones which are used on two-tracks, is is less dangerous.
They all have a color of their own:
German mastering EQ, Black master EQ, N-Ten-Aten,
modern Tube Console, GEQ8300...

Anyway, Nebula is amazing, it helps know the sound of so much hardware without touching it!
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 pm


Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests