Login

would love accuraute mixroom programs for headphone mixing!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: would love accuraute mixroom programs for headphone mixing!

Postby brp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:24 pm

i tryed them all:

refined audiometrics hdphx - unusable, unnatural, but free

tb isone - sounds quite good if you set it right, but it does toomuch for my taste

112db redline monitor - does only the minimum to translate a speaker setup to headphones and gives access to the relevant parameters.

i like the redline monitor most, because it just sounds right. no cheap room emulation, no speaker emulation...

cheers pascal
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby telecasterrok » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 am

brp, my experiences exactly. isone, when using room sim has weird plastic highs. Wouldn't you bet a nebula program would raise the bar! i'll have to try the redline monitor
telecasterrok
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby dpclarkson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I sometimes use headphones for setting up guide-mixes before
tracking, it helps me to hear what the musicians hear.
I've also tried just about every monitor-sim, but I absolutely
hate all of them.
When I'm working on a final mix, I want to feel the lows pounding in my chest when needed, and my face needs to be slapped with high mids. Monitors can make you feel excited about your mix,
headphones can't.
I would get a good pair of monitors, in fact, because of Nebula,
my good ol' NS10's sound like they had an upgrade! 8-)
I always wondered why these 'crappy' monitors are so much adored.
Now I REALLY understand why.
dpclarkson

Postby mathias » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:49 pm

the question for me with headphone-speaker-simulations, is not so much, if i like them soundwise, but if they translate correctly. so when i hear a mix, done with these emulations, on my monitors, have my decisions been right? or do i have to correct it or start over again.
this is what i ask for, when trying to decide which one is the best for me. sure i do not take one, that is bad to my ears :)

mathias
Last edited by mathias on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby brp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:51 am

the right translation is very important! i mix with headphones at home and in the studio i work with monitors in a treated room. the best headphone i could find was the beyerdynamic 880-pro which has to be driven by an amplifier because of its huge impedance of 250ohm. when i go to the studio with a mix, it would sound allmost the same as it did through headphone. only the very lowend (<40hz) is impossible to adjust by headphones because you have to feel the lows with the whole body to adjust them correct. so i can recommend the redline monitor which i use for the translation to the headphones!
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby Definity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm no pro so correct me if im wrong but. Isnt the point of acustic treatment to stop reflections and other nasties from bouncing around and affecting the sound? then what the point of sampling a room that has minimal reflections/ or no reflections in when headphones dont have any reflection anyway? they go straight onto the side of your head. that would be more sampling the speakers and mic in that the room than the room itself surley? i think, or am i completly wrong?
Definity

Postby hearteh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:17 pm

i think the point would be to have it sound closer to near field monitors so that you could judge the stereo image more accurate. but i have no idea if nebula could do this good enough to make it useful.

Definity wrote:I'm no pro so correct me if im wrong but. Isnt the point of acustic treatment to stop reflections and other nasties from bouncing around and affecting the sound? then what the point of sampling a room that has minimal reflections/ or no reflections in when headphones dont have any reflection anyway? they go straight onto the side of your head. that would be more sampling the speakers and mic in that the room than the room itself surley? i think, or am i completly wrong?
hearteh
User Level I
User Level I

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries