Login

cdsoundmaster dynamics

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

cdsoundmaster dynamics

Postby sneaky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 am

Looking at the manual for the Globe console:
Under what circumstances would the user choose any setting other than ALL ? Is this purely to save cpu cycles
And what is the expected effect on the sound
THanks
Steve
sneaky

Re: cdsoundmaster dynamics

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:41 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks for asking!

Short Answer: Yes, mainly just for saving computer resources.

Long Answer: The way the programs are created is to give you flexible options in what aspect of the console's dynamic behavior you want to apply, if not using the entire dynamic range.

At the extremes, you have the loudest signal level which is above unity and starts to add pleasant, measurable harmonic non-linearities. At the quietest level you have a different response just above the noise floor, where the non-linearities are based more upon the difference between a clean signal and the signal that sits above the hiss at the lowest signal level. The programs are divided so that you can apply just the loudest response from unity to louder, still dynamic but based on the addition of harmonics, or you can choose to just load the response of a quiet signal range. When using such a cool sounding console like the Globe, I personally like applying the entire range of response. There are slight variations in the audible spectrum and more dramatic changes way above 22kHz as the signal gets quieter, which is typical as the sound approaches the noise floor.

For the most part, when using plug-ins to add coloration like this, we are after the addition of harmonics, from clean levels to slightly driven. So, the option is there to use the programs that just add this range if desired for simplifying the response or saving cpu resources.

sneaky wrote:Looking at the manual for the Globe console:
Under what circumstances would the user choose any setting other than ALL ? Is this purely to save cpu cycles
And what is the expected effect on the sound
THanks
Steve
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: cdsoundmaster dynamics

Postby sneaky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 am

welp. I didnt understand that at all :D
Bought the Globe & installed the 6 or so programs I did understand.
Or thought I did
Dude. You should buy this. It makes your mix sound expensive.
Steve
sneaky

Return to 3rd party libraries