Login

THE Drum Compressor - CDSoundMaster !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: THE Drum Compressor - CDSoundMaster !!!

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Ok, just bought it today and no regrets!
So far it does what it promises; it grabs
the transients really well, as opposed to
other sampled units.
Am I to guess that the LA2A, 1176 and a D*x unit
have been sampled?
They sure sound like prime suspects!
Great accomplishment, Michael!
dpclarkson

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 pm

I was looking at the Vectors folder of this
library, and I'm trying to figure out which
is which.
Michael, can you tell which n2v files are the tubes,
which are the Fets, and which are Vca's?
dpclarkson

Postby piperboy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 am

I still can't get over how good this thing sounds. :shock:
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby SWAN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 am

really want to buy this soon and compare to some hardware compression...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 pm

ok so just wanted to make a report on this program-and will repost my thoughts on GS.

This is a deep set of programs - as usual a lot of love, effort and thought has gone into it.

I think Michael has pulled the best of compression out of the current Nebula engine. This is the first time (along with Rayflex) Ive felt a sense of analogue in the compression area in the box. It is surprising how different it is to using an algo compressor in sound and usage - because it is quite sensitive to input levels and of course you dont have metering - so you have to use your ears...

What is surprising is that when you move the volume level into compression - (how much level you feed into the plugin) - it clamps down on the signal in a way that sounds like analogue compression - and it can shape transients without sounding spikey or harsh...a lot of the programs - especially the Tube - contain some tone which takes a bit of the digital harshness away which is very cool. I know it might sound overstated but compression in the box - especially on drums - was the thing really lacking for me (to the point where I got into hardware compressors)...

With this Nebula toolkit (of 800 programs for all drum situations) - I feel like I could handle a mix just with Nebula EQ and Compression and it would genuinely sound analogue...

Now the downsides. There are a couple of issues Ive encountered. First is that if you use a heavy bass sound - like a kick with a lot of sub freq - sometimes the Nebula engine cant handle compressing that. I need to test this more but Im taking about trying to compress house drum kicks (as opposed to acoustic drum kicks) - if you push it - it doesnt work so well and I hear breakup. This only seems to happen with very sub heavy powerful kicks but normal drums are of course fine...
Second - the feel of these programs is unmistakably analogue - however for me when comparing to analogue hardware - because they are based on samples of analogue gear - naturally they dont have quite the same subtle variation in processing that analogue units do (the sort of 'alive' aspect of the processor)...of course there has to be some limitation on the size of these programs...

However this collection I know is going to be hugely useful to me. I may stick with compressing my kick and snare OTB because they are the backbone of my music (electronic) but use these programs (and CDS upcoming ones) on all sorts of areas in the mix which need compression-as I prefer it to using algo compression. You can use these programs on your drums and really get a musical punchy sound...the programs Ive tried on ITB synths and it really sounds like Ive run it through a piece of hardware - adding tone, body and presence...
There is such a broad range of styles of compression - including some creative exaggerated pumping effects - they are really useful I think...

I wish more people would try Nebula and try collections like this - it would be great to see peoples reaction to it...I wanted to mention some downsides to be completely honest rather than go blindly hyperbolic claiming 100% perfection.
I didnt do a blind test vs the hardware - but it is clearly quite accurate and the important thing for me is that I dont feel depressed about putting it into the signal chain and degrading my sounds...the programs adds real character and something positive and actually musical...Its pretty cool having this collection in my computer...I think this is another yardstick in the Nebula journey...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 pm

^ What he said...hehe seriously this is one kick ass compressor library. I didn't A/B testing with other software comps on drums and it destroyed everything (even my dearly loved UBK-1).

I have yet to try these compressors on other instruments...If it sounds this good on drums, it will probably sound awesome on bass, guitars, vocals, etc...
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby everbeatz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm

What is demo program sampled from?
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby sneaky » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 pm

jpchartrand wrote:it will probably sound awesome on bass, guitars, vocals, etc...

Im nervous about downloading huge, unweildy purpose-specific libraries. So Im very interested if people find some success using this with other sources?
sneaky

Postby jpchartrand » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm

sneaky wrote:
jpchartrand wrote:it will probably sound awesome on bass, guitars, vocals, etc...

Im nervous about downloading huge, unweildy purpose-specific libraries. So Im very interested if people find some success using this with other sources?

I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I'm sure it would work on anything...It sounds really great. You won't regret the purchase.
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby botus99 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 pm

No regrets here! In fact, I'm still intimidated by the 800 programs!!! GREAT VALUE!

It sure sounds sweet though, everytime I load up an instance, I start going through them all. They all sound great, so then its a matter of personal preference to shape the sound how you see fit.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries