Login

AITB-Snap Compressor

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AITB-Snap Compressor

Postby zaminx » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 pm

sfunk wrote:Bought this and had a bit of a play. Not quite sure im into it yet. Any tips for setting up? The gain reduction seems way off? When i am getting about -2dB of reduction it pumps quite a bit in an unmusical way. Any tips for setting up guys? Standard Rock S*L Bus comp sound?

Forget what Nebula says the reduction is as its way off the mark I felt that when it was showing around half to a third db it was more like 2db too 3db.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jesse.nemitz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

yeah definitely use the ears. not quite sure how the different compressed sounds are "triggered" to play but it seems to have more to do with how much signal you send into the unit than the threshold knobs trying to give an accurate GR readout. It's probably impossible to have the GR meter tell you exactly what amount of GR you are hearing the analog unit providing as it is nonlinear on the unit itself.

But having worked on the S*L E series, it's easy to hear the exact sound you need regardless of how much GR nebula tells you. What an amazing thing to be able to take a piece of this into console into the studio I have to say. Thanks AITB!
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby mathias » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 am

did some more experiments with snapcomp as parallel-compressor.
the drive parameter is a great colouring-tool!
if you want to have some grit in a mix, that sounds too clean or sterile for example, set it up as parallelcomp and bring the drive up to maximum. adjust the level to taste.......i like that sound :D

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby fuseburn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 pm

Can't wait to try the demo !
So this is 44.1k and 96k, just as announced, right ?
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Bought this immediately, total no-brainer. Looks great, looking forward to use this on a few upcoming mixes. If it's anything like the 2254 you'll have to check the amount of compression by ear and gain slider. Fine with me.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby giancarlo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 pm

testing it... I'm mixing a song, and I'm comparing it with the glue. I like the glue on the whole master bus, but for individual tracks I'm using extensively this snap compressor, and I'm keeping other compressors turned off. Best choice is a chain composed by 747, 1968 and snap compressor.

Soon I'll post a preview of this song (genre: electro house).
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sfunk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

tried this again last night on a rock mix. Yeah its very very good. I found that slowing the release up to 1 sec or so really works. As has been said dont look at the gain reduction.
sfunk

Postby david1103 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:57 pm

i played with this all night, and it is quite brilliant. its seems more 'hi fi' than any other vst compressor. things just sound more focussed/tight and without damage after compression. you can add a special punch sound i have not heard before :)

i find 2:1 SF is by far the best program for me on everything i tested for 'glueing' stuff and making it more punchy. 30ms or 10 ms attack, 100ms or 200ms release and approx 1- max 2db compression is AMAZING.

the other settings squash too much for my taste, but i have not had enough time to really play with the faster more extreme compression. i may grow to love it.

i did hear once the 4:1 SF program going wrong once. the attack time seemed to change on the loop i was working on. maybe i was out of cpu or something, or maybe it was a bug?

giancarlo, you prefer the glue on your master bus? i would be VERY interested in your reason for this. i suspect you are hearing things with your super ears i can't pick up on. would you be happy to run the 2:1 SF program on your mixbus, or do you detect any problems/inferior sound to the glue?

i hope eveyone will share their findings on this amazing program in great detail in this thread!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Barendse » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 pm

david1103 wrote:i played with this all night, and it is quite brilliant. its seems more 'hi fi' than any other vst compressor. things just sound more focussed/tight and without damage after compression. you can add a special punch sound i have not heard before :)

i find 2:1 SF is by far the best program for me on everything i tested for 'glueing' stuff and making it more punchy. 30ms or 10 ms attack, 100ms or 200ms release and approx 1- max 2db compression is AMAZING.

the other settings squash too much for my taste, but i have not had enough time to really play with the faster more extreme compression. i may grow to love it.

i did hear once the 4:1 SF program going wrong once. the attack time seemed to change on the loop i was working on. maybe i was out of cpu or something, or maybe it was a bug?

giancarlo, you prefer the glue on your master bus? i would be VERY interested in your reason for this. i suspect you are hearing things with your super ears i can't pick up on. would you be happy to run the 2:1 SF program on your mixbus, or do you detect any problems/inferior sound to the glue?

i hope eveyone will share their findings on this amazing program in great detail in this thread!

Exactly! 2:1 SF is great for mix buss and drum buss.

4:1 SF works great on snare.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby zaminx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 am

I'm Finding the 2.1 SF is perfect on the Mix buss totally gorgeous.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries