Login

Free or Nebula Pro libraries in 96khz list

Acustica Audio's Official Included Library
Free Unregistered Version Libraries

Free or Nebula Pro libraries in 96khz list

Postby _ben » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi,
i'm quite impressed by the result that i can get from Nebula there is just one thing that makes me sad.
I have to process 96khz and sometimes even 192khz files, so when i'm looking for preamp programs most of them are sampled in 41khz.
The result when using these programs is a more bright and chiming sound, less detailed.
So i would like to make a list of all Nebula's programs sampled in 96khz or more.(free or available to customers for free)

Could you help me?
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Free or Nebula Pro libraries in 96khz list

Postby giancarlo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 pm

almost commercial library is 44100. Please increase RATE CNV and SAVE
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby _ben » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:09 pm

I've already done that because i'm working on 192khz files actually.
The rate cnv was about 3500.
To me it's due to artefacts so i have read here that increasing the liquid parameter can help with artefacts.
So i have tried with exactly the same file same preamp with liquid set to max, rate cnv at 9000 (max) and another parameter set to higher (can't remember now) and the brightness has disapear.
So all is fine for me now, thanks.

(i always find a shame that people didn't make impulse in 88khz or 96khz instead of 41 or 48)
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Honestly...I've never had any issues either with 96k programs (I work at 44.1 or 48 exclusively) downsampling or with 44.1 programs upsampling on 96k files. 192k is so far beyond what's recommended...the market for programs tuned for that sample rate would be pretty limited. Don't take my word for it, hear it from the horse's mouth:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/documen ... Theory.pdf
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby _ben » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 pm

These files are for specific use for audio 96khz is enough. Between the two processing the result is clearly audible.(for what i do)
Anyway the most important is that it works for me. I have to read the user guide to understand better the tuning of the application.
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:14 pm

_ben wrote:These files are for specific use for audio 96khz is enough. Between the two processing the result is clearly audible.(for what i do)
Anyway the most important is that it works for me. I have to read the user guide to understand better the tuning of the application.

Fair enough. I wouldn't presume to tell you what sample rate you should use (lord knows that argument has been hashed out to death on every audio forum in the world); I was simply suggesting that 192k users are a pretty rare minority, in part due to the Lavry white paper (and subsequent posts by him and other DSP legends on various forums).

That said, I don't think the majority of us 44.1/48 guys would mind 96k programs, as I said they downsample just fine. But since 44/48 programs tend to upsample without much difficulty, it's not a problem for the vast majority of users; when third party designers have to make choices, they are going to take that demographic into account, it only makes sense.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby _ben » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 pm

There is a difference between downsampling & upsampling.

For example going from 96khz to 48khz you match exactly the datas of the rate sample.(or 88khz to 44,1)
But upsampling from 48khz to 96 you will have to do interpolation which is not as good of course.
Downsampling will always been better than upsampling in this case.
So for people who are working in 48khz they will get the perfect data by dowsampling from 96khz, which is not the case for people working in 96khz and coming from 48 with interpolation.
That's why 96 or 88 is better for both world.
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 pm

That's really not the case. Any modern SRC shouldn't care whether you start at an integer multiple of your target rate; that's supposed to be old news. There are filtering needs whether you're going up or down.

Anyway, to actually answer your question, verified just now:

R2R library
TapeBooster Plus
CCC consoles (Sphere, T*****t and BBC)
Producer's Pack 2
from CDSoundmaster all seem to be 96k programs. The rest of my CDSoundmaster programs (RASS, Producer's Pack 1, Mastering Pack) seem to be 44.1k. Not certain about the CDSM libraries I don't own.

All of my AlexB programs (MBC, MWC, CLC, VBC, 73eQ, CLQ) are 96k programs. I could be mistaken but I think all of the AlexB programs I don't own are as well.

VNXT's EMT140 plate programs are all 96k.

I'm sure there are probably more amongst some of the other 3rd party developers but I'm not sure which ones.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby _ben » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 pm

So you have to explain me why you have to need filtering going from 96khz to 48.
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:49 pm

_ben wrote:So you have to explain me why you have to need filtering going from 96khz to 48.

Downsampling requires an anti-aliasing filter.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Acustica Audio Library