Login

a fresh new start ..which libraries are still keepers?

Acustica Audio's Official Included Library
Free Unregistered Version Libraries

a fresh new start ..which libraries are still keepers?

Postby dreaddd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:35 am

hello

i just did my first total reinstall in like 5 years on my audio PC, and i want to try to preserve it as less bloated as possible to avoid ending in a mess like a did in the last years..
just bought Nebula Pro upgrade moreover, so i cant wait to start nebulizing with my old obsolete but now at least CUDA-pimped machine :)
so , to me browsing Nebula presets has always been quite messy after a shitload of installed libraries, and yes Nebulasetup can help but still i dont want to go after thousand of presets when i cant remember WHERE i found the one i was using some days ago..

with that said, at the moment i own AITB germanos EQ and Doc Fear, so i guess on EQ im a little saved, and hopefully i ll get some Tape libraries as well, but at the end of the day the question is..
which libraries of the ones included with Nebula do you still find useful to have handy?
are you still installing / using the WHOLE bunch?
opinions are welcome ..thanks
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Re: a fresh new start ..which libraries are still keepers?

Postby dreaddd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 pm

whoa! ...really? noone? pretty please?

bump!
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi dreaddd,

It always tough to make recommendations for someone. All I can really say is what I've done or do.

Many of the 3rd party commercial libraries were for equipment that I had worked back in the pure analogue days. As I built up these various libraries, I now have not even used a 'factory' preset in quite some time.

I can't really say it was a 'quality' thing ... or lack there of. By no means, the factory presets are what saved me from the huge algo collection that I had purchased. :lol: [one dimensional sound :roll: ].

The factory presets just went to the background of my choice, as the variety/flavor of 3rd parties grew. I think it became more of working with complete components.

I have assembled many custom Nebulas that consist of a single hardware piece, I've developed several controllers [NVC series] that have totally transformed my Nebula work-flow. It goes beyond just having a coherent, interactive, intuitive interface ... now add the ability to configure the various 'kernel kolors' while maintaining settings has opened an experience that I can actually control and understand.

Without sounding like a commercial ... but the latest 2 examples ... I know what a Pultec or a Massive/Passive sound like ... the 3rd party libraries provide a much larger palette of options to choose from. With complete control over the entire unit, I feel I can make better decisions as to what unit I feel would work for a particular.

I'm probably not answering your question[s] at all :roll: I am looking at the Nebula tools in a whole new way.

We have so many 'vintaged', colored mojo available ... but we also have 'clean'. Beside the 2 mentioned, we now have the GeQ, and the SongTec. Very different units. They impart 'their' sonics there own special way. For my work in mastering, we need [or much prefer] a range of tools that can cover a broad spectrum of tone/color, clean to downright good nasty. :lol: And for me and my sanity ... I'm am moving as fast I can away from the single, fragmented concept of individual presets scattered across a list of Nebula samplers. Too distracting, time consuming, and exhausting for me. That was the 'Nebula Work-flow Warning' that we all knew going in .... after several years, though I had to do something. Thus born my NVC design.

I'll be watching closely the 'future' Dev of Nebula. It is now core to all my audio work. The mentioned 'new features' are exciting to hear about. I also have plans for the NVC series too :mrgreen:

well ... tried to help bump this for ya :lol: Might be more helpful to converse in the thread rather than just read someone else's list of favs.

8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dreaddd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm

hi there RJ

thanks for your exhausting reply, its been much appreciated anyway...i tend to less technical in my empirical choices on sound mangling, so definitely having some more techie explanation is ALWAYS welcome to me, especially when it comes on opinions on HW stuff emulation..
its a similar feel i get anyway when you speak about "The factory presets just went to the background of my choice, as the variety/flavor of 3rd parties grew."
in fact my previous installation of the Nebula library goes back almost to the days when Nebula was in its own infancy..so definitely at the time, it was a "no way" option to avoid installing those libraries, since there were almost none other available (free or commercial)..
and thanks for the bump of course :)
BTW im following the development of the NVC-MAMMOTH thingy ;)...im afraid it will almost kill my (old) cpu when i ll light it up, since i already got it screaming with one single preset sometimes in the past, but hopefully ill be able to try it at least on some subgroups tracks, now that i maximized RAM and added a CUDA compatible graphic card..
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:13 pm

yes ... the MAMMOTH is .... MAMMOTH :lol: That was the reason I started with it. I had to see how the concept would work [if at all] in real time.

I still use the original NVC-MP controller. It's like having a Super Mammoth, but I think it may have been too much for others to take on [especially at first].

The Mammoth JR is no sloth :lol:

This design follows much truer to the hardware logic ... unless you don't want it too :shock: It is capable of communicating with all 13 Nebulas if desired. Every sub-module has a discreet MIDI channel, so the flexibility is there for the advanced user.

In the default state, we have 5 channels [4 eq bands and dual filter].

A point to remember, and this goes for the entire NVC design, there is NO requirement to use ALL the channels. You can load in 5 Nebulas [if you want]. Assigned to INIT, no preset loaded ... minimal memory used. Also, from the NVC you can bypass each Nebula completely out of the FXChain.

There are times when I may use only one or two eq bands. I still use the NVC because everything is right there. I switch kernels/patches and all my eq settings transfer into the selected preset. I can also selectively 'defeat' the EQ gain/cut so I can quickly A/B what changes I'm doing. I won't even mentioned the elimination of screen clutter or windows to open and close ... after getting and finding the plugin in the FXChain. Ergonomics, work-flow, ability to focus on the task at hand ... rather than being being distracted by the task itself.

I equate it to playing an instrument. If you have to constantly look and watch your fingers, hands, posture, breathing ... what have you ... you're not having fun, and probably not making music, at least, NOT to the unobstructed potential.

I sincerely hope others will take the time to experience this with the NVC. I look toward comments, ideas, suggestion on how these "version 1's" can be refined or totally re-designed if be the case :o

Anyway ... just wanted to remind that using the NVC will not force you to use all the Nebulas ... in fact, you can just as well insert the NVC with only a single Nebula. You can even use all available MIDI channels to talk to this single Nebula from all the NVC modules. :shock:

Hope this was helpful.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Figured I'd chime in here. Just like RJHollins, I can only speak for what I use and like, but hopefully it can give you some perspective.

I can't live without:
- R2R (gotta love the texture tape brings)
- EAR Reverbs (best "depth" of any reverb IMO)
- CLC (love the subtle punch it adds)
- Snap Compressor (or try the 4KD, I only own the Snap)
- GMD (always seems to clean up my mix in a way nothing else does)
- Henry Olonga's stuff (all of it really, the mics, quickmix presets, preamps, analog mojo, etc.)
- TSX (LOVE the Anamod, MWD, and DTE. For whatever reason, I don't use the Fatso much)
- a Pultec (I have the Mammoth and TubeTrek, I'm sure the Poolteq and Coolteq are great too)
- Powered Buss (almost always on my master fader)
- nrA Enhancer or AIR (S2N and Henry Olonga respectively, these 2 libraries add air to anything in a truly beautiful way)

I'm pretty sure every one of my sessions have had these on them in some way or another.

EDIT: Thought of a couple more :D
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby ianc » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:07 pm

I like to still use the factory time variables (if i remember the term correctly, chorus's flanger's ect) especially on dirty guitar as I always put them on a fx send channel and then through a console fx return as the last in the chain, I still think it beats a lot of algo's but I'll use both kinds in the chain untill i get what I'm looking for. I'll do this just after the tracking stage generally due to cpu load unless I'm sending a lot of tracks to it which I sometimes do with a chorus.
Last edited by ianc on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48 am

botus99 wrote:- a Pultec (I have the Mammoth and TubeTrek, I'm sure the Poolteq and Coolteq are great too)

Mammoth is not a Pultec, by the way. It's a sampling of the Massive Passive EQ. Just sayin'..... :mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:05 pm

richie43 wrote:
botus99 wrote:- a Pultec (I have the Mammoth and TubeTrek, I'm sure the Poolteq and Coolteq are great too)

Mammoth is not a Pultec, by the way. It's a sampling of the Massive Passive EQ. Just sayin'..... :mrgreen:

But they are both tube passive eq's, so I figured "meh" and threw them in the same category. :lol: Just being lazy
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

botus99 wrote:But they are both tube passive eq's, so I figured "meh" and threw them in the same category. :lol: Just being lazy

Indeed. but the Pultec-style has the unique simultaneous push-pull qualities. Just sayin' again....Mr Lazy :D
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Acustica Audio Library