Login

Preamps workflow

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Preamps workflow

Postby samuelp13 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a new nebula user - just bought the 3pro bundle and was wandering if anyone could impart any advice on working with preamps and how they find a satisfying workflow.

Do people here generally use one preamp which they use as the first insert in a track chain for every part of a set when rendering so that it is like running things through a mixer? I did this with a KGB preamp on a set of mine recently and it sounded really good. Problem I'm facing is knowing which one to use as there are so so many, and as the difference is incredibly subtle when heard on just one track alone as a test how do people know which preamp will be the best one for their set?

Any advice on this at all would be really useful - thanks!
samuelp13
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Preamps workflow

Postby Mplay » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi and welcome,

If you use several instances of the same program in a row, you get a better idea how it colors the sound. I like to use a different pre amp for each track in my mixes. The differences help when mixing.
Last edited by Mplay on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mplay

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Use several instances of the same emulation preset into a multitrack project (with NRGUI es easy) and sum in a stereo file, do the same with others preamps emulations, then make and ABX comparison and take decisions by yours ears.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby samuelp13 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 pm

thanks for the replies... what's NRGUI? I guess as you get more and more familiar you understand which ones work for different parts... Using the same one in all my tracks worked pretty well recently but I'll get onto more advanced usage of them as time goes on I'm sure
samuelp13
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula