Login

question on saturation / gain staging in nebula

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

question on saturation / gain staging in nebula

Postby samwillis6 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm

hi all, one more question - I understand the basic principle, that most programs have been 'captured' at -18dbfs (apart from CDsoundmaster who does his at 0dbfs?), however the newest version of nebula that I have, shows a reading of "DNM SEL" in db - I'm guessing that's the joint average of the L & R channels, and I should therefore be looking for that signal to be averaging around -18db, using the input gain if necessary to help it achieve that level- is that correct?

assuming that is so, if I'm after a particularly audible 'vintage' sound, am I better off running the audio through the same preset repeatedly, with no changes to the parameters in order to achieve a more saturated sound? or should I be boosting the level even more so that it's averaging, say around -20db?

I wonder whether it might be possible for giancarlo or someone to create a youtube video that walks you through the process of this stuff, as it's obviously such a crucial factor in getting the best out of nebula, and for those of us (myself included) who don't have golden ears / years of real studio experience, it'd be really helpful..

thanks so much for your time if you can spare it!

best,
sam
samwillis6
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: question on saturation / gain staging in nebula

Postby Puranon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 pm

We need precise control of I/O gain.

-1db, -1.5db, -2db etc.

We also need Numerical parameter value input via keyboard so we don't have to rely on the slider.
Puranon
User Level X
User Level X

Postby david1103 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:42 pm

the best method i found to hear what the drive is doing, i got the idea from the pdf with the great demo of the sampled radios (sorry i forget the name)

download the free:

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_GainSuite/

now stick a bluecat stereo gain in front of and after nebula. on each plugin click the red A button, and on the 2nd plugin click the REVERSE button.

you can i think shift click for better resolution. when you turn up the volume into nebula, the other plugin turns down by the same amount. now you are volume matched and can hear exactly the amount of drive you are adding without the volume changing! perfect. when it gets too much input you will hear the sound break up or other artifacts.

what would be AMAZING, and i am sure would take about 5 seconds to code :), would be if you could shift/ctrl or alt click the input in nebula and when changing the value the output went in the opposite direction. then you would not need 2 instances of the bluecat plugin :)

let me know if it works for you... this is a *massive* improvement in workflow for me, would be good to share this knowledge in a faq or sticky?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby samwillis6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm

thanks david, I'll give it a try!

cheers,

sam
samwillis6
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:33 pm

I wondered if anyone would actually try that. ;)

i've felt for the past few years that all distortion plug-in effects should have the drive/input gain control automatically compensated. it wouldn't work perfectly, depending on the input, but it helps. it totally kills your ability to directly compare between different levels of subtle saturation/distortion when you have to jump back and forth between two separate controls.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby sin night » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:15 pm

@david1103: great tip! This is something I'm going to try as soon as possible! I never thought about using those gain plugins before, I thought I didn't need them... Thank you for the input!
sin night
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula