Login

double channel vs triple channel memory?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

double channel vs triple channel memory?

Postby Mplay » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm looking at my options for an upgrade. I have a question about the new 2600k. The sandy bridge has only double channel memory bandwidth compared to the triple channel on X58 (And I read in half a year, the Ivy Bridge should have quad channel)

Will having only double channel bandwidth be the bottleneck with running Nebula?
Mplay

Re: double channel vs triple channel memory?

Postby Mimi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Being an i7, not makes a difference of double, triple or whatever...
I use an i7870 and have no problems with nebula.
Save money when you feel the need to buy a more powerful four years from now
Mimi

Postby Mplay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:01 pm

thanks for the info. I have decided to wait a few months and see what ivy bridge and bulldozer will bring
Mplay

Postby woeischris » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 am

I did some research into this and got a lot of conflicting information. Some tests seem to suggest that dual channel is faster in some applications, others suggested that tri-channel is about 5% faster. A sentiment that seemed to appear here and there was that tri-channel RAM is still relatively new and has potential that is not yet being reached.

I think that the number of channels used by your RAM will be much less of a bottleneck than your HD or processor. Get an i7 and a good board and you're guaranteed triple channel RAM support. RAM is cheap -- I ordered 12GB of DDR3 1600 last night for less than $250. A much more important concern should be hard drive performance. As long as you have enough RAM, your biggest bottleneck after processor is going to be your drive, so ensure your board supports SATA 6.0GB/s and spring for an SSD. A 64GB SSD will run you $150 but more than double your read/write speeds over conventional SATA.
woeischris

Postby Mimi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:10 am

In theory tri channel would be faster,but not corresponds, for a fact of construction...
he utilizes load memories DDR 1066, and its more powerful processor, the i7 975 is an old socket.
only the sockets 1156 utilizes the most powerful memories, DDR 1333 and 1600...
But do not be fooled, the processor i7 875 has access to an internal band of 1333MHZ.
that would be simply throwing money in the garbage by buying DDR1600...
see it this way, nebula to run today in a corei7, it is very easy... not need to buy a "transformers" to work well.
If you want to prepare for the future ok, I advise make a smart economy . A 64GB SSD for me would be small I have many gigabytes of instruments kontakt, about 80 gigabytes.
Do not believe the financial viability of HDDs SSDs, Wait longer.
I have gotten great results with my i7 with 8 gigabytes of ram and normal HD of 500 gigabytes.
I make music for Sony Music Brazil and I do my best not to commit extravagances.
I hope that these words help you.
a big hug
Mimi

Return to Working with Nebula