Login

Quick question about Nebula and 96k

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Quick question about Nebula and 96k

Postby anthonyw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:54 am

If my sequencer is running at 44.1, and I'm running Nebula with a program that is 96k capable, Nebula displays the program as 96k. So is Nebula oversampling, or is Nebula really running the program at 44.1. Do I need my sequencer to be running at 96k to actually take advantage of a 96k program?
anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: Quick question about Nebula and 96k

Postby fuseburn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 am

Yes, nebula can do that. It only takes a few (more) seconds each time you instantiate a program which is not on the native samplerate (96 -> 44.1 etc.) for the conversion. The bigger the program, the longer it takes.

Be aware of the parameter "RATE CNV" on the MAST page. This is the time nebula is given to convert a program to another samplerate - if it takes longer than that, nebula stops the conversion and it'll play back the program on the target samplerate without conversion (reverb tails will sound dark and twice as long for example). I recommend turning up that parameter to the max. value (something like 9000 ms). Then hit save and reinstantiate nebula so the value is used.

Apart from that you'll see the current conversion on the prog page. If there's 96000 -> 44100, everything's (supposedly) fine.

This is a dangerous topic though. There have been several time when I wondered why my EQ boosts were totally off from the specified frequencies (3200k sounded like 1500 or something) and the sound was grainy. Then I discovered that probably the last nebula upgrade reset my configuration values and the sampling rate conversion failed. BIG issue when you're in the middle of a mix and you've already built things upon those "wrong" sounding EQs.

Same thing happened bigtime when the VNXT EMT140 Plate was released. Everyone tested the (96k) plate with too short RATE CNV values and people fell in love with the wrong, twice as long demo plate which wasn't 2 seconds as supposed, but rather a cathedral-like 5-seconds monster ;-)
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby anthonyw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:34 am

If I'm not using any of the reverb programs, should I worry about the "RATE CNV" parameter?
anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby fuseburn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 am

Absolutely ! Applies to every kind of program. EQs etc. aswell.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby anthonyw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:24 am

Ok, thanks for the clarification so far. Overall what are some good recommend settings for the master page of Nebula? The only thing I changed so far is the DSPBUFFER to 1024 to match the setting I'm using with Logic.
anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby edbilleaud » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 pm

anthonyw wrote:Ok, thanks for the clarification so far. Overall what are some good recommend settings for the master page of Nebula? The only thing I changed so far is the DSPBUFFER to 1024 to match the setting I'm using with Logic.

OK this raises another question, should I attempt to match Nebula's DSPBUFFER setting to the one I set in Logic?
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby mathias » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 am

i don't use logic, but normally, the buffersize you set in your daw, is related to the sounddriver.
internally, your daw does latency-compensation between the tracks, as they are reported from the plugins (i talk about daws that have automatic latency-compensation - take care! sometimes the latency-compensation has a limit) and assures that they are mixed together in the right timing.
the master-audiostream is then sent to the soundcard in buffers, in the size you have set.

so you can have a buffersize of 1024 for your sounddriver and run nebula-reverb with its full latency (this is what i do in samplitude all the time).
the only thing you will notice is a little dropout or short bufferflipping, when bypassing the plugin for comparing.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 am

Nebula will convert programs to your host sample rate when you load them if RATECONVERSION (RATE CNV in MAST page) is high enough. These are the settings I use, if anyone is interested:

There's something important I discovered a couple of months ago. GUI RATE and LOADER PR affects, dramatically, how long it takes to load programs and how responsive Nebula is (faders, meters, etc.).

I always suggest to run several tests with different DSPBUFFER settings and your audio card buffer size. For example, after several tests I've determined that my optional settings are 2048 (or 1024) for DSPBUFFER and 512 samples for my audio card. With these values I'm able to load 40-45 Nebula instances per project as well as many other plug-ins (and I'm just running a Core i5 with 4 GB of RAM). Run some tests and you'll surely find your optimal settings.

I work in REAPER 64-bits, Win7 64-bits.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby anthonyw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:01 am

Thank you for the info and help guys! :D
anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:04 pm

There is a Nebula tip and FAQ about those topics (read AA newsletter and annuncemets). I suggest to create manually several instance of Nebula .DLL in order to cover your needs. Some customers use Nebula Reverb .DLL in very low latency to run VST instrument thru Nebula reverbs EPs in real time, or load and different OPTs setting for Nebula with CUDA and with IPP. In addition you can set different skin and LCD color for easy optical visualization.

Nebula is very flexible on customization, but you should read FAQ and manuals in order to understand what are you doing.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula