Login

Clean mode = same as standard convolution?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Clean mode = same as standard convolution?

Postby RuudUnit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 pm

I've been wondering for a while now, so I'll just go ahead and ask...

Are the clean modes the same as standard convolution? or is there more going on in clean nebula programs (even with only one kernel) than with standard convolution? If so, what differences would they be and how are they achieved?

Also, on a related note, is it possible that the clean programs might have more high end roll off than is desired? If the boxes sampled rely on some harmonics to maintain their fairly flat frequency response, wouldn't the clean programs then be darker due to the lack of harmonics?
RuudUnit
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Clean mode = same as standard convolution?

Postby mathias » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 am

as far as i know, you get frequency, phase and dynamic behaviour of the sampled units, with the clean (1 kernel) programs.

about the high frequency rolloff, you can test with vstanalyzer, by tuning a program down to 1 kernel.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby RuudUnit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:15 am

Thanks - so the dynamic behavior would be the difference? AFAIK convolution (e.g. Q Clone) covers frequency and phase stuff without any difficulty.

As for VST analyzer, I am on Mac but I should be able to figure something out. :) Though I suppose I was curious to hear from some of the creators of the different libraries as well if they had any thoughts on that subject. It's interesting to me to see a little bit of the "nuts and bolts".
RuudUnit
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Are the clean modes the same as standard convolution?

NO

or is there more going on in clean nebula programs (even with only one kernel) than with standard convolution?

YES

If so, what differences would they be and how are they achieved?

Using one IR, you can model a limited type of gear and can't model non lineal distortion. Auralization or convolution reverbs use FFT for process every IR, Nebula use direct convolution + FFT. In addition depending the model Nebula use more than one sample.

Understanding Nebula audio engine, COREII > http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p8439

Nebula engine features: http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=133

Also, on a related note, is it possible that the clean programs might have more high end roll off than is desired? If the boxes sampled rely on some harmonics to maintain their fairly flat frequency response, wouldn't the clean programs then be darker due to the lack of harmonics?

That depends on several factors, NAT sample rate, quality of the sampling chain (AD, cables, DA, clock), host sample rate, Nebula SRC. Non lineal distortion not add high harmonics only, for example if you send a summed 1 kHz and 1.2 kHz pure sine signal into a device with non lineal distortion you will receive in the output harmonics in 200 Hz (1.2 kHz - 1.0 kHz = 200 Hz)
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula