Login

Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Postby giancarlo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm

it happens for particular sources only, in general it happens because differently from other compressors nebula control signal is NOT filtered at all (many compressors are using an highpass filters). We leave that freedom to you releasing the sidechained version of nebula.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby micstandbob » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 pm

great thanks for the reply! i'm excited to try out the sidechain version!
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby ickefes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 am

Deleted...
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 am

anyway I explain it again.

In nebula2 and nebula3 you have wrong timings. Only nebula3 pro supports right envelope follower timings.
So compression sounds differently.

It doesn't mean that nebula3 pro can handle compresson on low frequencies content better than nebula3 and nebula2.

For that you need to engage sidechaining with a proper filter, because it's physics: we don't sample which kind of spectrum the compressor is sensible of, all our compressors are sensible on the whole spectrum. So they "ring" if you have for example a bottom drum: original compressor unit maybe is reacting only to particular frequencies, not all of them.

I should say it doesn't happen frequently though, it happens if you are trying to compress a bottom drum or a bassline alone.

I'm explaining it because an user upgraded to nebula3 pro from nebula2 and asked for a refund. I hope it doesn't happen any more. We provide nebula3 free with a couple of compressors, and nebula3 free is based on CoreII. All of them are obviously ringing on a bottom drum alone if you are trying to process it.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sneaky » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am

Ok well that rings a weird sort of a bell. I just upgraded to pro3 & thought I was doing something wrong. Ive done a couple of clean installs before I read this. How do we download the sidechain version please?
Steve
sneaky

Postby giancarlo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:43 am

we'll upload it on next week. First working version is VST. AU is working but not in every host.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby micstandbob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm

thanks for all the info giancarlo.
i am excited to try the side chain version.

i did first discover this issue on a mix buss compressor. so it isn't isolated to solo sounds. at the time i didn't know it was the lowend causing it, so i don't know if i could have backed off the lowend before the compressor and applied more afterward.
thanks,
Darrell
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula