Login

Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Postby ickefes » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 am

I notice the more bass I roll off, less clipping occurs. But, I want things to have bass after all and not sound like a radio effect. :D

I would really like to try compressor programs created with NAT 3 in Nebula3 Free to know if core II makes a difference. The compressors in the free packages doesn't give me any info about when and with what NAT version they were created.

Damn, I really wished Nebula could work better than this. I guess I will abandone it soon if nothing shows up. Regards
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Postby mathias » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 am

Damn, I really wished Nebula could work better than this. I guess I will abandone it soon if nothing shows up. Regards

do you only work with compressors in nebula :shock: !

this is something i did not try very often, because the sound and reaction is too unpredictable for me.
i get good results with preamp and tube-programs and a digital compressor inbetween, which reacts precisely to my needs. and nebula gives me the right color.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby ickefes » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:04 am

mathias wrote:

do you only work with compressors in nebula :shock: !

this is something i did not try very often, because the sound and reaction is too unpredictable for me.
i get good results with preamp and tube-programs and a digital compressor inbetween, which reacts precisely to my needs. and nebula gives me the right color.

mathias

Hehe, not only but very few software compressors give my a nice character effect like some of the nebula compressors have given me, except when being used on bass heavy sources where they clip badly.
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Postby micstandbob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:52 pm

I have this same issue with compressors. i am working with the lastest version of nebula 1.3.467 core II 64bit at 96k sample rate in cubase 5. on bass sounds i get clipping consistently on all the compressor programs i have tried. (mc77, 165a lofi, fate demo, yakuzi, boeing 747) in every case, watching the levels in the program page. the input is reading -20db, so i know i'm not clipping nebula. as i lower the threshold control, the clicking starts consistently when i start reading gain reduction values. even at gain reduction levels less than -1db produce the click. all these tests were done on a kick drum, but i first noticed this in a mix. i loved the sound the nebula compressor was adding to the mix, but the compressor was unusable.

any help would be appreciated, as i would love to start using nebula compressors, but i can't start using them on a mix, cause i know later in the mix i might screw myself with the clicking sound
thanks,
Darrell
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Could you upload a 20 second of this kick and the screen shots of the Nebula compressors that make clicks. I'll try here ASAP.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby micstandbob » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:29 pm

here is a zip file with the kick audio and a screenshot of compressor settings and Master page in nebula.
thanks,
Darrell

http://tonegrown.com/Neb%20Compressor%20Issue.zip
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby highvoltage » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:11 pm

micstandbob wrote:here is a zip file with the kick audio and a screenshot of compressor settings and Master page in nebula.
thanks,
Darrell

http://tonegrown.com/Neb%20Compressor%20Issue.zip

I could totally replicate your issue here. Even with other compressors. (nebula 3 pro)
highvoltage

Postby Cupwise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 am

could this maybe be an issue with the host program's handling of the delay compensation? i'm just wondering because of the fact that some people are noticing it, and others don't seem to.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Cupwise wrote:could this maybe be an issue with the host program's handling of the delay compensation? i'm just wondering because of the fact that some people are noticing it, and others don't seem to.

I never had this kind of issues ever, but only with that posted audio clip
highvoltage

Postby micstandbob » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 pm

I picked this clip just for the demo, i have had this happen to me on other sessions as well when using a compressor on the mix bus.
thanks guy for lending an ear!

as for delay compensation? the clip is being listened to on it's own without parallel processing, so i'm not sure how delay compensation could play a role?

thanks,
Darrell
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula