Login

Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Postby ickefes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:46 pm

I read that some qualities with compressors arë better rendered/decoded with core II (Nebula3Pro) compared to Core I (Nebula2 & 3 non Pro) but is the difference big if I use a compressor made for core II in my core I Nebula 2? Does anyone have any examples to show?

If I had a good answer to this then I would be a lot more confident in upgrading from Nebula2 to Nebula3 Pro.

Regards
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Compressor's quality with core I vs II ?

Postby ickefes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 pm

I notice that compressors in Nebula have big problems compressing low frequencies. If I compress a snare with a compressor then it sounds fine in most cases but if I try to compress a kick drum I get massive clicks on the attacks. How come?
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Postby highvoltage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:39 am

ickefes wrote:I notice that compressors in Nebula have big problems compressing low frequencies. If I compress a snare with a compressor then it sounds fine in most cases but if I try to compress a kick drum I get massive clicks on the attacks. How come?

i dont have clicks with nebula pro, and didnt have them with nebula 2 either.

There is a difference between the pro version tho with the new compressor programs. The attack and release is not working properly with the previous version of nebula.
highvoltage

Postby fuseburn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 am

ickefes wrote:I notice that compressors in Nebula have big problems compressing low frequencies. If I compress a snare with a compressor then it sounds fine in most cases but if I try to compress a kick drum I get massive clicks on the attacks. How come?

Try to avoid overloading nebula, don't drive it above 0dB. It doesn't get "phatter" from there, it just gets "wrong". The famous clicks or beeps you're talking about are probably a result of the engine crapping out - so turn down the input volume or put a Sonalksis FreeG right before nebula. That said, compressing kick drums works fine. Try the Yakuzi CNUM ones !
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Nebula plays what was sampled by NAT the last level top end (higher than +18VU) where the saturation starts normally in not sampled. Don't force Nebula to distortion like a analog gear, you are in the digital domain and saturation = distortion = unpleasant sound.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby ickefes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

I have tried to lower the input gain both inside Nebula 2 and using FreeG before Nebula 2. Nothing fixes it. If I lower it enough to stop distorting on the attacks then it won't compress the signal at all. Regards
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Postby ickefes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm

It is too bad that I can't load some of the compressors I have bought from "CD Sound" in Nebula3 Free to see if they sound different.
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Postby SWAN » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:56 pm

actually Im interested in this click/glitch issue as Ive noticed it on some bass heavy programs...even when not overloading - is there any reason?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

SWAN wrote:actually Im interested in this click/glitch issue as Ive noticed it on some bass heavy programs...even when not overloading - is there any reason?

I would suspect somekind of modulated distortion and a good possibility that less kernels would correct it.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby ickefes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Here is an audio example where I toggle between using Nebula 2 and no FX. The program I use is 1176_type_comp by CD Sound Master.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8246790/shibby_ ... ssorer.mp3
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Next

Return to Working with Nebula