Login

Any of you mixing metal?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Any of you mixing metal?

Postby odd » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm trying to incorporate Nebula into my mixing (I'm still a noob though). So far I've only got the R2R and Tapebooster+ collections and nextas' EMT140, as I'm unsure of what other programs to get. So often I see recommendations for Nebula programs for 'sweetening' or 'vintage' sound. But I want more linear (frequency-wise) and punchy programs. Esp. drums are a bit of a problem for me, quickly sounding over-saturated and muddy from the tape compression.

If there are any of you mixing metal, what are you using? Console, EQ, tape, compression - the works.
odd
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: Any of you mixing metal?

Postby odd » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:31 pm

Here's what I'm working on:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/13/ ... an2104.mp3

Happy New Years!
Last edited by odd on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odd
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby citizenpaul » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi odd. I've been doing fairly heavy rock (not sure it's really metal) and using R2R, plus several of the AITB EQs and Alex B consoles. This song was rendered using Alex B's CLC and MBC, plus R2R:
http://music.acitizenabovesuspicion.co.uk/album/big-ideas
I've definitely found the consoles give a much more pro sound, with less harsh guitars and mid range.
I've not yet got the Tapebooster+ programmes - have you found them useful for this style?
Cheers
Paul
--
A track made with Nebula: http://music.acitizenabovesuspicion.co.uk/
citizenpaul
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby odd » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 am

citizenpaul wrote:Hi odd. I've been doing fairly heavy rock (not sure it's really metal) and using R2R, plus several of the AITB EQs and Alex B consoles. This song was rendered using Alex B's CLC and MBC, plus R2R:
http://music.acitizenabovesuspicion.co.uk/album/big-ideas
I've definitely found the consoles give a much more pro sound, with less harsh guitars and mid range.
I've not yet got the Tapebooster+ programmes - have you found them useful for this style?
Cheers
Paul

Hey Paul,

Your track is so much better sounding than mine, it's ridiculous. And how did you get it so loud? Looking at the waveform, there's next to clipping. Are you a pro mixer/engineer?

Haven't used the Tapebooster programs yet, only the R2R. And still to get a Nebula EQ, console and compressor. You recommend the CLC?

Happy New Years.
odd
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Barendse » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:46 am

odd wrote:I'm trying to incorporate Nebula into my mixing (I'm still a noob though). So far I've only got the R2R and Tapebooster+ collections and nextas' EMT140, as I'm unsure of what other programs to get. So often I see recommendations for Nebula programs for 'sweetening' or 'vintage' sound. But I want more linear (frequency-wise) and punchy programs. Esp. drums are a bit of a problem for me, quickly sounding over-saturated and muddy from the tape compression.

If there are any of you mixing metal, what are you using? Console, EQ, tape, compression - the works.

Check General Forum -> Songs/Tracks.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby citizenpaul » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:18 pm

odd wrote:Hey Paul,

Your track is so much better sounding than mine, it's ridiculous. And how did you get it so loud? Looking at the waveform, there's next to clipping. Are you a pro mixer/engineer?

Haven't used the Tapebooster programs yet, only the R2R. And still to get a Nebula EQ, console and compressor. You recommend the CLC?

Happy New Years.

Hi Odd
Thanks for the comments and Happy New Year to you too.
Regarding loudness, I think it's a combination of things - I do a lot of automation of individual track levels during the mix to keep levels in check and try not to overdo the compression on individual tracks or everything ends up sounding small. I try to use low compression thresholds and low ratios to compress the whole dynamic range rather than just trimming off the tops of waveforms. During mastering I used the Oxford limiter but didn't do anything special in particular.
I'm not a pro - just a self-taught bedroom hobbyist, but would love to do it for a living one day!
I do recommend the CLC but must admit that I've bought many of the Alex B consoles and have not yet had the time to do proper A/B comparisons of the same tracks rendered through each of them separately to really know which one I like best!
Normally I end up using the one I bought most recently. Whichever one I use, though, I find it helps add the final analogue polish to an ITB track - it doesn't radically transform a mix, but just adds that elusive sheen to it and helps reduce digital harshness. I do use a lot of the EQs as well - Doc Fear, Ape etc.
Only the three most recent mp3s on that site were 'Nebulised' - everything earlier was just using standard plug-ins and I think the Nebulised tracks just have that 'something' else.
I'm not sure if that helps...
Paul
--
citizenpaul
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby odd » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Paul, thanks for your input. Do you use the R2R tapes?

Btw., I've updated my track. It's really, really loud now - maybe overdone.
odd
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby woeischris » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:24 pm

I work with extreme metal almost exclusively -- death, black, grindcore in particular. All of my mixes use MBC (though I'm gonna pick up the CLC like... now) and R2R/TB+. The Akai programs are crucial for heavy guitars. The EMT140 is my go-to reverb.

Check out the Mammoth EQ and its add-on. Aside from being a really killer EQ, the filters are absolutely crucial.

Get an AlexB console and make sure to use his analog panner, which comes with all of the console releases. It makes a very significant difference in anything that is hard-panned.

The 165a comp is perfect for really punchy drums. Try it on your overheads, snare, and kick. The Fate compressor sounds very nice on guitar and bass. I also use it on vocals and if I'm gonna do something on the stereo buss, it'll probably be this one. In certain cases, I find that it's like flipping a switch that immediately makes them sit correctly in a mix.

I started playing with the Theater of Life the other night and found that putting the mono channel on my room and EQing right, I got a really awesome, big, Jens Bogren (Opeth engineer) sound.

I don't know how much of this is really unique to metal. Others might have better advice. The most important things I've learned in my exploration of Nebula have been general tips about gain staging, which helps more than just Nebula. Sonalksis FreeG does the trick.

To give you an idea of my work, the first song here, "Innate Enigma," was something I did a few weeks ago. It is too compressed but you get the idea. http://sadgiqacea.bandcamp.com/

If you look at the wall of Coffin Dust's Facebook, you'll find streaming versions of songs they recorded with me. Here's a direct link to that page, I don't know if it'll work. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffin-Du ... 851?v=wall

I'll put up one of my grindcore band's tracks tonight, they sound better than anything I've ever done.
woeischris

Postby odd » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 pm

woeischris wrote:I work with extreme metal almost exclusively -- death, black, grindcore in particular. All of my mixes use MBC (though I'm gonna pick up the CLC like... now) and R2R/TB+. The Akai programs are crucial for heavy guitars. The EMT140 is my go-to reverb.

Check out the Mammoth EQ and its add-on. Aside from being a really killer EQ, the filters are absolutely crucial.

Get an AlexB console and make sure to use his analog panner, which comes with all of the console releases. It makes a very significant difference in anything that is hard-panned.

The 165a comp is perfect for really punchy drums. Try it on your overheads, snare, and kick. The Fate compressor sounds very nice on guitar and bass. I also use it on vocals and if I'm gonna do something on the stereo buss, it'll probably be this one. In certain cases, I find that it's like flipping a switch that immediately makes them sit correctly in a mix.

I started playing with the Theater of Life the other night and found that putting the mono channel on my room and EQing right, I got a really awesome, big, Jens Bogren (Opeth engineer) sound.

I don't know how much of this is really unique to metal. Others might have better advice. The most important things I've learned in my exploration of Nebula have been general tips about gain staging, which helps more than just Nebula. Sonalksis FreeG does the trick.

To give you an idea of my work, the first song here, "Innate Enigma," was something I did a few weeks ago. It is too compressed but you get the idea. http://sadgiqacea.bandcamp.com/

If you look at the wall of Coffin Dust's Facebook, you'll find streaming versions of songs they recorded with me. Here's a direct link to that page, I don't know if it'll work. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffin-Du ... 851?v=wall

I'll put up one of my grindcore band's tracks tonight, they sound better than anything I've ever done.

Lots of good info, muchos gracias. Looking forward to hear your track. My engineering noobness aside, metal's challenging music to produce. Btw., I hear a lot of newer Morbid Angel's doomier side in the guitars of your track above - I was into doom/death metal and grindcore waaay back in my teens.
odd
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby citizenpaul » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:38 am

Hi odd - Yes, I use R2R (I usually render every track with a 15 ips OTR or Revox programme), but haven't got TB+.
Woeischris - thanks for the tip about the Akai R2R programme, that's really helped me in toning down some harsh distorted guitars on a current mix.
Paul
--
citizenpaul
User Level 0
User Level 0

Next

Return to Working with Nebula