Login

Neb. Problem. Please help:)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Newbie question

Postby the19thbear » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 pm

It is ALL eq,s ALL comps etc. as long as i have 2 or 3 instances of neb. with the same program (eq comp whatever) i get garbled sound.

Buffer settings on my soundcard is not an issue.. i Have no cpu spikes at all and i have tried everything between 1042 and 64 samples.

If i load nebula in reaper, my tracks start to mute - and i mean mute as if i magically had pushed the button my self!!?!?! plus the signal distorts..
Its reall y really weird! All this happens on a fresh install of win7 32bit with an RME raydat card.
Quad core I7 3,something ghz. with 4gb ram.

Is there a way to test nebula pro without buying it?
that might solve my problem..
the19thbear
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:09 pm

It is ALL eq,s ALL comps etc. as long as i have 2 or 3 instances of neb. with the same program (eq comp whatever) i get garbled sound.

If i load nebula in reaper, my tracks start to mute - and i mean mute as if i magically had pushed the button my self!!?!?! plus the signal distorts..

Check the RMS and Peak values in the chain. Try with a pure sine signal with -18 dBFS RMS.

Is there a way to test nebula pro without buying it? that might solve my problem..

Nebula3 FREE
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby the19thbear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 am

I am of course using nebula free:) and I don't see how the sine test could help in any way. If I have one track with an audio track and neb. With an eq prog. Running with let's say a 3 db boost then all is fine. If I then make a new track with the exact same audio (copy paste) and insert neb. On the new channel with the same eq, then I get garbled noise from the new track. In reaper the track even automatically mutes... The mute button is magically activated and pressed down by itself. This is not a gain structure issue nore a soundcard buffer issue. And it's happening in pro tools 10 as well (minus the mute button)
That's why I'm thinking if another version of neb. Would work. Then I could test it and save the money to eventually buy it.
:)
the19thbear
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am

automatic muting ...

The issue that comes to mind are your INPUT levels
into Nebula.

Based on what setting you have your Nebula metering set at [7. RMS -AES-17 is a standard] ... the description of the problem you give hints at this.

What PEAK or RMS levels are you using ??
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby the19thbear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 am

I cant test it fight now but Will do later. But it's true - the signal does get WAY loud on the nr 2 instance of neb. It seems like the second instance of neb. Is adding to the first instance. It seems like its taking the setting of the first neb intance and adding volume/freq etc to the next one. I find myself constantly lowering out/ins to the extreme. And on top of that I get a howling feedback kind of sound. It seems like neb. Doesn't understand that there are several instances of nebula but treats it as one. That makes sense since this only happens if i use several of the SAME neb. Prog. In one session..:)
the19thbear
User Level V
User Level V

Postby the19thbear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 pm

...just tested more. The more instances the louder the output from the latest neb is. by 4 instances its so loud that i basically have to move the mouse 1 pixel on the on/out pots before i get overload.... So it seems that every new neb instance is adding to the previous instances somehow.
bummer:(
the19thbear
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:54 pm

the19thbear wrote:...just tested more. The more instances the louder the output from the latest neb is. by 4 instances its so loud that i basically have to move the mouse 1 pixel on the on/out pots before i get overload.... So it seems that every new neb instance is adding to the previous instances somehow.
bummer:(

There MAY be other issues going on ... but the first 'red flag' points to your levels and gain structure.

Enrique is pointing you to a link that details the dB protection that is defaulted in Nebula ... as an emergency protection mode! There is NO reason to be anywhere near those levels.

There are plenty of postings on this forum that discuss operating levels for the Nebula plug-in.
Nebula is a 'hardware based' plug that references -18dB [RMS]. So, with the INPUT and OUTPUT sliders set to the middle position, no addition gain is happening.

Your audio track level [that is PRE-fader level] should average -18dB RMS or approx -6dB full scale.

The Nebula meters SHOULD be displaying top levels in the middle of the scale [-18dB] if your metering is set to the AES -17 reference scaling.

If you are adding additional Nebula plugs, and the output level is going up ... then you DO have the gain structure incorrect.

just trying to help.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby the19thbear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Sorry of i misunderstood your post but i dont understand how it could be a gain stage error... If it is then its something neb is doing by itself.As stated many times before: this is one neb. Instance per track. Not 3 on one track. So I can't see that it could be a gain stage error:) The signal Pre fader is no where near -6dbfs I have tried with many different source waves and it's always the same no matter what prefade level I have. This occurs on both very quiet passages and very loud passages. I can even see the out meter of neb. Going to max 5 sec after I press stop and sometimes it stays there forever. The only solution is to disable the plug and enable it again. This happens in unwrapped vst and wrapped rtas version. In reaper and pro tools.
:) again: this occurs with only if I use 2-3 or more of the *same* Neb prog. On different tracks. - one neb instance per track. That is why I am saying that somehow neb. Only sees one instance instead of several - kind of... This is at course a wild guess from me.. As said before this started happening before and was fixed by a reinstall. Somehow the problem started coming again and I formatted my harddrive and reinstalled win 7 32bit.
Sorry if I seem a little negative. Its getting late in denmark and I'm tired;) I'll post a screenshot of everything in a couple days.
the19thbear
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Send me your .XML file from acustica folder to my support email address: enrique.silveti AT acusticaudio.net
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula