Login

Cubase 5 Issues

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Cubase 5 Issues

Postby scooter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:55 am

I'm getting huge spikes of audio and loud snapping when I load more than one Nebula in Cubase 5.
It's so loud sometimes that I'm worried it's doing damage to my monitors! :shock: If you look at the picture you can see the spiking on the VUE on the master bus.

I'm also getting really poor performance out of Nebula, R2R and Alex B's MBC. Take a look at the screen shot.
3 Nebulas running and my ASIO meter is pegged in C5, but i'm using very little of my PC's CPU. SUCKS! It's a simple midi file playing at 48khz. I even tried updating to the latest Nebula 3 release and still the same behavior. Any help would be great! Thanks!

See Screen Shot Here:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3517/nebularunninglikecrap.jpg
-Scott
scooter

Re: Cubase 5 Issues

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 am

are you using "nebula reverb", aren't you? cpu load will be lower, you should get rid of spikes, processes will be distributed among all available processors (so they will be balanced). The only drawback is latency, BUT you could change it if your cpu is pretty good.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Spacey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 am

I have this as well, although I do not get any clicks or pops running up to 12 reverb GEQ's..... I do get the main master bus in Cubase 5 on overload.

The weird thing is that there is no audio being past, it just overloads the display on the meters.

Seems to happen sometimes when you run more than 2 Nebula's.
Spacey
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:49 am

what is a GEQ?
are we speaking about "nebula3 reverb"?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby futur2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:17 pm

this is a bug in the non reverb version. nebula/giancarlo should either get rid of the non reverb version or fix it! it's the kind of stuff that is really irritating to novices and makes nebula an unnecessarily confusing initial experience.
futur2

Postby Grim » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 pm

what is a GEQ?
are we speaking about "nebula3 reverb"?

Yes...he means he is running CDSoundmaster GEQ programs in Nebula Reverb.
Grim

Postby scooter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm

I wasn't using the Reverb version.

I'll give that a go.

Thanks Gaincarlo!
-Scott
scooter

Postby scooter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 am

Using the Reverb fixed the performance and the snaps.

Thank you!
-Scott
scooter

Postby scooter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:01 am

The problem with the LOUD snaps and digital blurps still occur when loading and working with multiple instances of Neb3Pro Reverb. Any fixes? My audio buffer is set at 512 or 1024 and still get the nasty spikes of sound. They are loud enough to cause damage to my monitors, so I'm a scared sh*tless to say the least! :shock:
-Scott
scooter

Postby giancarlo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:40 am

all the strangeness regarding nebula is just the loading time required by the plugin for being started, which is a bit greater than other plugs. It could be improved further, but here it's not nebula, it's the host + drivers. The plug should be launched from a different thread and should start processing audio only when everything is ready, not before. Otherwise the host hangs instead of filling the audio buffer and SOME audio card drivers cause clicks when they are waiting for a new buffer.

So it's not a fault of nebula, or a fault of the host or a fault of the driver. It's a combination of them (for this reason other users are not experiencing the same, maybe their driver is different). From our side we'll try to get a faster initialization, it will be a consequence of AU porting (AU hates long initializations) but I can't promise it for tomorrow.

Just to be clear, I use cubase 5 and here everything is fine. Tascam driver in windows xp. No clicks, no pops, nothing of nothing.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Working with Nebula