Login

Loud beep at 0 db?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

using alexb consoles 0dB = +18dB in the hardware, so your input is extremely hot. Those consoles are not supposed to work in that way
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby futur2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm

giancarlo wrote:using alexb consoles 0dB = +18dB in the hardware, so your input is extremely hot. Those consoles are not supposed to work in that way


don't know if it happens with alexb consoles and also have never experienced the loud beeps but things like that shouldn't happen however you use the stuff. it's not ok to risk ruining ones monitors or even worse ears.
futur2
Member
Member
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 pm

we limited nebula to +24 dB because actually someone is using nebula in that way (extremely loud signals from special libraries). We could limit outputs anyway adding a parameter
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby sfunk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 am

giancarlo wrote:we limited nebula to +24 dB because actually someone is using nebula in that way (extremely loud signals from special libraries). We could limit outputs anyway adding a parameter


i would suggest limiting. The level of this beeping sound can be incredibly loud and im surprised it hasnt damaged my monitors or ears. Please limit it :)
sfunk
Member
Member
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby woeischris » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 pm

You know, I never really tested it enough to pin it down to one plugin but I use AlexB consoles on every track in every project so that makes sense. I try to keep everything around -18 but sometimes a transient spikes way high or I'll disable another plugin that attenuated the output and it will absolutely smash my monitors and ears. I'm very worried about hurting myself or someone else if they're listening on headphones.
woeischris
Member
Member
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 am

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby sneaky » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 am

sneaky
Member
Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby giancarlo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:38 pm

we'll insert a protection. Soon. Silence when output is louder than a fixed amount
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby sfunk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 am

giancarlo wrote:we'll insert a protection. Soon. Silence when output is louder than a fixed amount


Brilliant news!
sfunk
Member
Member
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:25 pm

starting from version 1.3.476
I added a parameter to nebula xml named "protectiondb". Default setting (so if you don't declare it) is +3dB, but you could change it. Audio is silenced when it's louder than it.
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Loud beep at 0 db?

Postby sfunk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:32 pm

giancarlo wrote:starting from version 1.3.476
I added a parameter to nebula xml named "protectiondb". Default setting (so if you don't declare it) is +3dB, but you could change it. Audio is silenced when it's louder than it.


great news. When will this update be released?
sfunk
Member
Member
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests