Login

Cuda for Dummies

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Cuda for Dummies

Postby Spacey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 am

Nice new forum guys, I like it very much.

Could I trouble someone far more in the know than myself to help those of us out who are stuck getting Cuda to work. There is information spread out on the old forum that is confusing etc.

Could someone do a step by step and treat me like am 8 year old with regards to explaining how to get Cuda running on my system.

System specs:

Win 7 64bit but running Cubase 5 32bit host.

Nebula 3 Pro, i7 Pc, 6gb Ram, SSD main drive, GTX260 Graphics.

Many thanks in advance, I'm sure this will help many peeps who are a bit confused, especially with a 64bit OS running 32bit host.
Spacey
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Cuda for Dummies

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 am

An user reported it can't work in your system. We are speaking about cuda 3.0. You can't install a 64 bit driver and use a 32bit version of cuda.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Spacey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Damn, so I would have to use 64 bit Cubase? This is not good for me as Cubase 64 is so bad with the plugin bridge. I know there are work arounds but it's not the same.

Would the solution be this new Nebula Farm program you are working on. Where I would have a separate PC with a Cuda card in it over Lan network?
Spacey
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm

you could wait for 2 possible solutions
1) nebula server
2) cuda working in that way. I didn't test the case, it was just reported from an user, so I can't be sure about that. For sure a 32 bit dll could be placed in x64 windows. So you could find a way for installing or copying the cuda dll in your system, still using a 64 bit video driver. It was possible in cuda 2.3, because toolkit was installing cudart.dll again. Now cuda dll (it has a strange name now) is installed by the driver only. Again, I'm not sure, I didn't test it and it was reported by an other customer only, maybe there is a solution.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Spacey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Ok cool, so back to my orig question :)

I have installed 64bit Cuda with the 64bit Cuda Bridge, so I should really have installed the 32 bit Cuda Bridge with the main 64bit Cuda from Nvidia?

If so how do I set up the actual Nebula 3 Pro Reverb version Plugin for use with Cuda? Do I:

Make a copy of the plugin changing the .dll name to something like Nebula Cude......

Then change the 'OPT Timed' settings in the 'Master Pageto one of the Cuda settings?

Am willing to try hard to get this going as it is a big selling point for many people if this works nice.
Spacey
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I repeat: in your system it can't work. It will work ONLY using everything x64 (host, nebula, cudabridge).

You have 2 possibilities:
*everything 32 bits (driver, toolkit, cudabridge, nebula, host)
*everything 64 bits (driver, toolkit, cudabridge, nebula, host)

tell me which is your case!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Spacey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 am

Hey why so hostile? I'm only trying to get Cuda to work :(

I repeat here what you typed to me earlier in this thread:

For sure a 32 bit dll could be placed in x64 windows. So you could find a way for installing or copying the cuda dll in your system, still using a 64 bit video driver. It was possible in cuda 2.3, because toolkit was installing cudart.dll again.

As I stated in this thread before:
System Specs: Win 7 64bit but running Cubase 5 32bit host
is what I am running.

I only asked again because you stated that it might be possible.

Ok...let's say that I have an all 32 bit or all 64bit environment. What changes to the actual Nebula Plugin do I have to make in the master page to get it to theoretically work?
Spacey
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am

Giancarlo hostile? Nah... He's a cool guy! :D

Look, I am the user he's talking about. You cannot run Cuda 32-bits in a 64-bits system because of the drivers. In your specific case: Cubase 32-bits in Windows 7 x64, you can't. You need a x64 host to run Cuda or you need REAPER :)

REAPER can run x64 plug-ins so you can use Nebula x64 with Cuda because everything (drivers, toolkit, bridge, nebula) has to be x64.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:50 am

..exactly... till cuda 2.3 it was possible, now it's not possible any more, at least it seems so.
On the paper you could run it, but I don't know the steps . Maybe you should install 32 bits video drivers (possible? dunno, I guess not), copy the dll (which one? I don't remember), install 64 bits drivers, place the 32 bits dll (where? syswow64? I'm not sure) and try nebula. Since I didn't test it... I don't know!!!!!! :D

Other possible way: install nvidia drivers on 32 bit windows, copy the dll (again:which one?) in your 64 bit windows.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby vicnestE » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 am

Spacey wrote:Damn, so I would have to use 64 bit Cubase? This is not good for me as Cubase 64 is so bad with the plugin bridge. I know there are work arounds but it's not the same.

Would the solution be this new Nebula Farm program you are working on. Where I would have a separate PC with a Cuda card in it over Lan network?

I remembered read some bridge software called "JBridge" for Cubase SX 64 on steinberg's forum.
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
It costs 14Euro and seems the current best way until steinerg actually "listen to" their customers.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula