Login

Few questions...kern page, attack and release and others

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Few questions...kern page, attack and release and others

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm

When loading different presets a small dot appears flashing does it even matter?

Does it even matter.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Lets take the 'Analogue channel' pre amp as an example.

Analogue channel is not a good example, Analogue channel were done with a WSampler a sampler developed by Acustica Audio before release NAT.

There are the normal controls of attack, release liquidity. But there is also a control for reducing the odd value and also the evns value. The drive control also starts at 0.0db and goes backwards. What does each control do?

Is quite simple. A complex signal can be decomposes into simple pure sines signals summed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series). Complex signal can be decomposes into a fundamental, plus odd and even harmonics. We call fundamental to H1; H2, H4, H6, etc. are even harmonics and H3, H5, H7, etc. are odd harmonics.

In Analogue channel you can only trim in negatives values those harmonic separately but in preamps emulation presets done with NAT both odd and even harmonics are linked but you can trim into positive and negatives values, and is called DRIVE parameter.

The NAT tip of the month (#2 - October 2010)
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p5129

thanks for the initial answers mate, sorry if this all beginners stuff for you

Not at all, Nebula is powerfull but complex digital audio tool...
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby wakestyle » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 am

hey I'm sorry so can you explain the nebula filter (attack/release) and Liquidity please. It's not in the manual and I haven't really seen a explanation in the above post except some scientific explanations.

So HOW does attack/release and liquidity effect the audio signal?

When envelope is off is that then pure 100% wet signal? What is happening when envelope is on then is there shaping going on if so what can I look for?

What is liquidity doing to the audio? Should I try to find what I like or? When fader is at 0 is that more 'pure' signal?

thanks
wakestyle
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm sorry so can you explain the nebula filter (attack/release)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_detector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSR_envel ... R_envelope

Q.5.2 Why can you adjust attack and release on a preamp simulation?
The attack and release sliders in this case represent values concerning the operation of the internals of the Nebula engine (CORE I and following cores), specifically the way in which it switches between kernels. For example, if you have an attack of 1 ms on a preamp it switches kernels at a 1 ms slew rate. Think of these parameters as essentially being the controls of an envelope follower. It is a good idea to keep these values low, as doing so will make Nebula emulate sampled equipment with a behaviour that is closest to that of the original equipment.

can you explain Liquidity

Q.5.1 What is liquidity?
Liquity is an interesting concept, and requires some understanding of the technology behind Nebula in order
to appreciate what it controls. Simplistically speaking, liquidity, for which is a parameter which controls the way in which kernels are mixed together in the time domain and is implemented through Acustica Audio SMOOTH technology

The liquidty parameter controls the fades between kernels. High liquidity levels can bring out phase issues and too low liquidity levels can create little clicks or noise on some emulation presets. This is why there is a slider for it, so the user can adjust the values to fit their needs. Typically, keep the liquidity level low will result in a more realistic emulation of sampled equipment.

So HOW does attack/release and liquidity effect the audio signal?

Depends the emulation preset loaded into Nebula, liquidity make a smooth switch between kernel specially on quick ones like time variants emulations.

What is liquidity doing to the audio? Should I try to find what I like or? When fader is at 0 is that more 'pure' signal?

Liquidity is a COREI/II audio engine parameter and make a lineal fade in/out between kernel switch, you can rise it if you listen a click noise or artifact.
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby victims » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:13 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:When loading different presets a small dot appears flashing does it even matter?

Does it even matter.

I don't know if it matters, that's why i'm asking you lol

Thanks for the other responses mate, gonna get my head around this thing once I get a few days off over christmas. Cheers
victims
User Level I
User Level I

Postby sneaky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Sorry if this has been done to death
Question:
For the best sound + best performance should Kernel page display CLASSC ?
[edit] 1.3.486 displays SPLITH by default
Steve
from
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p8439
If you see CLASSC you are in split kernels mode and vice versa if you see SPLITH

from
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p7784

SPLITH mode is a feature of the hybrid COREI/II Nebula audio engine, fundamental or H1 can be processed with TIMED + FREQD giving you the best of both world: best sound + best performance.
sneaky

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula