Login

Few questions...kern page, attack and release and others

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Few questions...kern page, attack and release and others

Postby victims » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi - not been able to get to my music pc for the last few days but these questions have been bugging me, so hopefully you guys can help so I'm sorted for when i get back to the studio.

I read through the pdf user manual that I got with my nebula download - seems it's outdated somewhat, with the menues etc I presume this is due to the update? Is there an updated version? My main problem is the kernel page, in the manual they are listed as H1, H2, H3 etc but on my version they are referred to as odd and evns values...could someone explain? Also would changing these values have an impact on sound quality/performance?

Also - within the kern page there are options marked economy/normal - mono-l/stereo - splith(?). When loading different presets a small dot appears flashing - does this mean I should change the parameter to suit or does it even matter?

going back to the odds/evns question - on some pre amp presets there is the option of adjusting evns/odds values - what effect does this have? Also why do some parameters start at 0.0 db and go backwards? Series lack of read me files with these downloads lol

Some of the preamp presets seem to make very little difference to the sound - the only hardware I've used is reverbs so I'm not sure if my ears aren't used to the subtle nature of these preamp units or whether I'm doing something wrong.

Attack & Release on every preset; Do these make any difference to the sound on presets that wouldn't nessearily have attack and release on them anyway - the FAQ says to keep these fairly low values - would it make sense to have them both at 0.0??

Thanks in advanced.
victims
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Few questions...kern page, attack and release and others

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 pm

I read through the pdf user manual that I got with my nebula download - seems it's outdated somewhat, with the menues etc I presume this is due to the update?

PDF Manual is based COREI audio engine.

Is there an updated version?

No yet

My main problem is the kernel page, in the manual they are listed as H1, H2, H3 etc but on my version they are referred to as odd and even values someone explain?

COREI first release manage only 5 Kenels, so you can change FREQD and TIMED values for every Kernel. Now COREI and COREII Nebula audio engine can manage 10 Kernels so we join even Kernels and odd Kernel.

Also would changing these values have an impact on sound quality/performance?

TIMED > Direct convolution: best sound, worse performance.
FREQD > FFT convolution: worse sound, best performance.

Within the kern page there are options marked economy/normal - mono-l/stereo - splith(?).

ECONO mode send all Kernel to FREQD.
MONO-L use only left Kernels instead L > L and R > R. So R audio stream is processed by left Kernels.
SPLITH mode is a feature of the hybrid COREI/II Nebula audio engine, fundamental or H1 can be processed with TIMED + FREQD giving you the best of both world: best sound + best performance.

When loading different presets a small dot appears flashing - does this mean I should change the parameter to suit or does it even matter?

Under which PAGE?

going back to the odds/evns question - on some pre amp presets there is the option of adjusting evns/odds values - what effect does this have? Also why do some parameters start at 0.0 db and go backwards? Series lack of read me files with these downloads

Nebula is doing a re synthesis of the sampled gear, you can remove non lineal distortion if you don't want it or even exaggerate if you feel you need more non lineal distortion.

Some of the preamp presets seem to make very little difference to the sound - the only hardware I've used is reverbs so I'm not sure if my ears aren't used to the subtle nature of these preamp units or whether I'm doing something wrong.

Processes a multitrack recording with 24 tracks with the same preamp emulation preset. Mixdown into a stereo and compared (ABX stile) with the non "Nebulized" mixdown. Still little differences?

Attack & Release on every preset; Do these make any difference to the sound on presets that wouldn't nessearily have attack and release on them anyway - the FAQ says to keep these fairly low values - would it make sense to have them both at 0.0?

There are part of the Nebula re synthesis engine. Nebula has a envelope follower, setting in lower values Nebula will react like the original sampled gear.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Has the difference between FREQD and TIMED been explained anywhere so clearly before? I'm a little annoyed that I never knew about that until now.
woeischris

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 am

M-hm...
beingmf3

Postby highvoltage » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:37 pm

This confused me a little. Every program developer says that attack and release parameter should be untouched. And now it turns out that if you lower them you get more faithful emulations? That's some contradictory information.
highvoltage

Postby futur2 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:38 pm

highvoltage wrote:This confused me a little. Every program developer says that attack and release parameter should be untouched. And now it turns out that if you lower them you get more faithful emulations? That's some contradictory information.

i would trust in what the program developers tell you ;)
futur2

Postby victims » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:24 pm

When loading different presets a small dot appears flashing - does this mean I should change the parameter to suit or does it even matter?

Under which PAGE?

under the kern page and also the prog page

going back to the odds/evns question - on some pre amp presets there is the option of adjusting evns/odds values - what effect does this have? Also why do some parameters start at 0.0 db and go backwards? Series lack of read me files with these downloads

Nebula is doing a re synthesis of the sampled gear, you can remove non lineal distortion if you don't want it or even exaggerate if you feel you need more non lineal distortion.

not sure i understand - lets take the 'Analogue channel' pre amp as an example. There are the normal controls of attack, release liquidity. But there is also a control for reducing the odd value and also the evns value. The drive control also starts at 0.0db and goes backwards. What does each control do?

thanks for the initial answers mate, sorry if this all beginners stuff for you :oops:
victims
User Level I
User Level I

Postby mathias » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm

not sure i understand - lets take the 'Analogue channel' pre amp as an example. There are the normal controls of attack, release liquidity. But there is also a control for reducing the odd value and also the evns value. The drive control also starts at 0.0db and goes backwards. What does each control do?

thanks for the initial answers mate, sorry if this all beginners stuff for you :oops:

this gives you the option, to raise or lower only a certain distortion-kernel of the program.
with the drive slider you have on most programs, you can only adjust all at once.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm

woeischris wrote:Has the difference between FREQD and TIMED been explained anywhere so clearly before? I'm a little annoyed that I never knew about that until now.

We already have written an tip about Hibrid Engine that will be release with next AA newsletter, but this concept are explained in "Nebula3 - User guide" on page 17 and 18.

Acustica Audio user manuals (direct download): http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Enrique Silveti.

UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm

highvoltage wrote:This confused me a little. Every program developer says that attack and release parameter should be untouched. And now it turns out that if you lower them you get more faithful emulations? That's some contradictory information.

Depends the emulation preset rate (RTE) and the Nebula version that is in use. Use Nebula reverb version gives the ability to use more Kernels and longer ones than Nebula non reverb version with less CPU/CUDA usage, but Nebula reverb version has bigger program rate value. Clicking on LIST with show the RTE used by Nebula for every loaded emulation preset. So using Nebula reverb version, Nebula reflesh is slow and use MIX1 (ATTCK)/MIX2 (RELS) faders/knobs makes no sense.

When you use Nebula non reverb version emulation preset rate is unlocked and Nebula refresh according MAST page value, that is normally PROG RATE: 2.0 ms.

MAST page F.A.Q.
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Enrique Silveti.

UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula