Login

Nebula fx count on high end computers

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula fx count on high end computers

Postby Veet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:39 am

Since 8 months I use Nebula with lots of third party extensions and I am very happy with the results I am getting. At the moment, I am selling my UAD card with all the plug-ins to raise some funds for a new computer.
I would like to know, if this can be a realistic scenario:
- 64 bit I7 980x computer with 24 gB ram
- Nebula as the main work horse for EQ, Tape, Console, some compressors
- Additional plug-ins would be Vienna suite, Stilwell rocket compressor, a linear phase eq

So my question would be: What Nebula plug-in count people are getting with I7 computers (920 upwards) when using Nebla reverb.
I know this depends on many factors. Still it would be nice to know, if a -say- 24 track session can be handled with Nebula without any pre-rendering.
The alternative would be to print tracks with one console, r2r and tb+ and then start mixing everything.
Any feedback on workflow that facilitates the regular use of Nebula would also be welcome.
Veet
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Nebula fx count on high end computers

Postby garyk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Veet, I don't have a great answer for you but no-one has come back to you so here is what I have.

Sandy Bridge is due this Jan. It's expected to make gains on even the 990x in sheer horsepower, but the decent 6 core LGA 2011 stuff might not be with us till 2nd or even 3rd quarter.

I run a 920 with 6GB RAM W7 x64 and your pre-rendering method does seem to be the best way to do things. It's quite a traditional approach akin to analogue anyway - tracking first with preamp, console, tape and saturation nebulas, followed by the mixing stage with comp eq and reverb or whatever, followed by a 3rd stage of mastering if you do it.

This works well enough for me to make me hang on for Sandy Bridge - even if its only to push the price down on the 970-990 range.
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Veet » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Good post!
Seems correct on the facts.
I had a look on the Gigabyte motherboards for the upcoming Sandy Bridge.
They have only 4 memory slots not 6!
That means you have to go for 8gb sticks if you want to have more than 16gb of ram (which I absolutely need for orchestral stuff.)http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?mode=bbcode&rb_v=faq
The prices for Sandy Bridge cpus are in the midrange. If the best version really outperforms a 980x then it would mean that those have to fall in price a lot.
But I guess I will go with the new socket anyway. Two years ago, I bought a Quadcore just before I7 became established and feel the lack of power in many situations, Nebula being one of them.
Veet
User Level II
User Level II

Postby garyk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Hey Veet, I've been thinking about this and Giancarlo has got what I think is a better and cheaper solution if you've got the space. Did you see the Nebula server thread?

You basically network a bunch of cheaper pcs and run Nebula accross them all. You can keep adding to your sum processing power by throwing another pc on the network. Seems that you can mix os's and pc hardware etc as Nebula server just harnesses the cpu power. Anyway,the thread explains it better...!

I'm planning to stick a pile of old dual cores in my cupboard (with a fan of course...)

One thing, it's not ready yet!
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Return to Working with Nebula