Login

Nebula: Huge Creative Advance

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula: Huge Creative Advance

Postby lschefman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 am

The more I work with Nebula, the more I realize what a huge step forward this software represents. As a noob, I'm astounded.

I've been listening to my other software and my hardware to compare it with Nebula, and there really is no software comparison. Nebula is very, very close to the hardware sound.

For example, my favorite IR reverbs sound lifeless compared with Nebula; and I can hardly stand listening to algorithmic reverbs any more! Even the S****x. Reminds me of the days when I heard a 16 bit sampler for the first time after owning and getting used to a 12 bit!

The analog gear emulations are just plain true sounding (I work with analog gear often, and did for many years before going digital). The guitar amps (to my ears) sound more real than the best modeling software and I've got quite a lot of it I've compared.

I just listened to some of my recordings done with a real EMT Plate; no emulation I've tried before could sound quite like a real plate, even standard IRs. Nebula sounds like a plate (realizing that most EMTs sound a bit different of course).

Nebula is the finest FX software I've ever used, by far. I just wanted to say so!
lschefman
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula: Huge Creative Advance

Postby steve36 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am

Gotta say I agree with you totally...Nebula is a major sonic achievement...this to me (along with Reaper) represents the best value of any audio software on the market today...genius...!!!

Steve
steve36
User Level II
User Level II

Postby lschefman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 pm

I've been talking Nebula up so much that my production company partner just tried the demo and then bought it for his system.

He said, "All I had to do was hear one reverb to know I should get it."

Best effects plugin that I've ever heard, hands down. Compared with Waves IRs and their premium hardware emulation plugs, URS, Sonalksis, S****x, the list could go on as I have a ton of plugs...this is simply the most real-sounding.

The only suggestion is that they need an installation manual...;)
lschefman
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWAN » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:57 am

yes its quite funny - all these software companies are trying to market their plugins as 'Game Changer'...every cheesy algorithmic plugin these days is supposed to change our game...

Yet for some years now quietly, Nebula has been REALLY changing the game. Yet it seems like some people are not interested in changing their game for the sake of good quality audio if it means changing their precious workflow...

I swear I was about to throw in the ITB towel before I found Nebula and buy a desk because I was so hating the ITB sound - which would have been very difficult and costly for me...so I am thankful! For someone like me who doesnt have huge budgets and space - Nebula is a godsend...

For me - it is the EQ that is so amazing...followed by the saturation. The reverbs - particularly from NNXT (Plate) and Signaltonoize are excellent. A few years back I was demoing all the reverb plugins feeling very depressed - they never sounded good to me! Always thin grainy and weak...when I came across Nebula and tried the PCM Tiled Room preset I went "Ahhh-this is what a good reverb sounds like...". I had never even used a high end reverb - but even so I knew the majority of reverb plugins sounded dull and weak. It was Nebula that showed me what quality reverb was...The market has changed somewhat since then - but Nebula is still formidable in this area...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lschefman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:30 pm

>>I swear I was about to throw in the ITB towel before I found Nebula and buy a desk because I was so hating the ITB sound - which would have been very difficult and costly for me...so I am thankful! For someone like me who doesnt have huge budgets and space - Nebula is a godsend...<<

I know exactly how you feel. Especially after many years of having an overblown analog rig, my workflow got faster going ITB, but the sound suffered.

I have a N**e 8816 summing mixer; and while it's great sounding, it's only going to give you back its best sound if you put in good sounding tracks. When it gets Nebula3 sound, I think my little 8816 has an orgasm! ;)

I ran drum tracks through the Studer tape emulation for a project I'm working on for North American Auto Show, and man, it really sounded glued together with just the right touch of flavor.

By the way, the N**e summing mixer emulation in the Library is really very close to what you get if you run a channel through the 8816.
lschefman
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby garyk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm looking forward to uninstalling (almost) all my other vsts sometime in the new year!

Then I'm looking forward to Nebula server. Gonna hook up a bunch of dual cores and a gigabit fast switch and sail away.
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Postby lschefman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Just got lovely client feedback on the sound of the tracks I'm working on. Nebula playing a large role in this project.

I'm really thrilled with this software.
lschefman
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby anthonyw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:32 am

lschefman wrote:By the way, the N**e summing mixer emulation in the Library is really very close to what you get if you run a channel through the 8816.

Which program is the N**e summing mixer emulation? :D
anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:17 pm

garyk wrote:I'm looking forward to uninstalling (almost) all my other vsts sometime in the new year!

Haha! That's what I do right now! I think only 20% of my old VST's will survive :)
beingmf3

Return to Working with Nebula