Login

IS THIS POSSIBLE??

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: IS THIS POSSIBLE??

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:34 pm

richie43 wrote:Are you referring to fx chains as saved in reaper? If so, I hardly use chains for Nebula anymore since they took so long. But maybe I'll try and let you know. But either way, Having separate instances that scan for only certain things, however you set it up, loads much much faster.

Yeah, exactly. That's probably 95% of my Nebula loading, I have everything made into FX chains.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I used to, but they took so long to load I couldn't bear it. Besides single specific instances, I don't really have any long Nebula chains that I need to call up, I seem to be always changing things around. Also, when I used to rely on fx chains more (even with my trusty algo plugs) I was less likely to experiment and find what the part REALLY needed.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:42 pm

But as I said, however you use Nebula, I encourage folks to try out the separate instances idea. The load-time is so much faster that I am re-excited to load up Nebula instances!
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby zabukowski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:45 pm

richie43 wrote:Next question then.... the updates. This will still be a pain in the but, I presume. Each of the new dll's will need to be over-written by hand anyway, right?

Unfortunately, yes. I am thinking how to improve this. There should be some kind of set-ups creation/updating tracking system implemented. Nebula Set-ups currently doesn't know, which custom plugins should be updated with a new version of a Nebula plugin.

richie43 wrote:Another thing; I have both 32 and 64bit Reaper and Nebula. If I create a bunch of new Zabukowski-style dll's in 64bit, do I need to carefully repeat the whole thing for 32bit if I want my 2 Reaper/Nebula set-ups to be cross compatible?

Currently, yes. This could also improve in the future. Have to find enough time to do all this work, though ;)

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Update Mr Zabukowski! I just copied the new 64bit dll's and xmls (which were created from the 64bit Nebula3 Reverd dll), moved them to where my 32bit Nebula is, replaced the 64bit dll with a renamed 32bit dll, and it all worked great. It was a hunch, but so far it seems fine. I don't use 32bit too often anymore, but for the occasional times I do, I need to have this compatibility. Just thought you should know though, it seems that I DON'T need to repeat the steps to have both!
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby zabukowski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm

richie43 wrote:Update Mr Zabukowski! I just copied the new 64bit dll's and xmls (which were created from the 64bit Nebula3 Reverd dll), moved them to where my 32bit Nebula is, replaced the 64bit dll with a renamed 32bit dll, and it all worked great. It was a hunch, but so far it seems fine. I don't use 32bit too often anymore, but for the occasional times I do, I need to have this compatibility. Just thought you should know though, it seems that I DON'T need to repeat the steps to have both!

Yes, it is not too complicated, if you understand what is going behind the scenes :)

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:17 pm

zabukowski wrote:Yes, it is not too complicated, if you understand what is going behind the scenes :)

Zabukowski

It took me a little bit of time when I first started using Nebula to get "under the hood", when I started renaming the 64bit dll's and xml's so Reaper would load them right in both Reaper versions. You are right, after figuring that out, even updating won't be THAT hard..... Thanks for the supremely useful tool.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:18 pm

richie43 wrote:I used to, but they took so long to load I couldn't bear it. Besides single specific instances, I don't really have any long Nebula chains that I need to call up, I seem to be always changing things around. Also, when I used to rely on fx chains more (even with my trusty algo plugs) I was less likely to experiment and find what the part REALLY needed.

When I say FX chains, they're single Nebula instances. I use the FX chain system because, in addition to saving any settings per instance that I might want to use as a starting point, it also saves the naming convention in the FX chain. So instead of having 100 instances of "Nebula Reverb" each instance is labeled correctly in the chain itself. Makes eyeballing a mix a bit easier.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Yeah, I get that. But for me, until now at least, it was still easier for me to just load them from the Neb browser. But now that things are loading faster, I will revisit the Reaper fx chains.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Totally with you 'ngarjuna' on the fxchains AND the resultant loading times!

Why I'm following this thread so closely. For me, NEBULA is some 95% of my plug use.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula