Login

IS THIS POSSIBLE??

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: IS THIS POSSIBLE??

Postby richie43 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:33 pm

I just checked the new folders (I actually created 2 so far) and there is an "init" file in both Programs and Vectors of both new folders! And I didn't copy them there, I just moved the presets that I wnated in each instance and then the steps I described before. Apparently Nebula recreates these "init" files somewhere in that process. And so far, it has been very stable. And the workflow is much faster since each specific instance only scans for the presets that I have in it's programs and vectors folders, instead of the entire nebulatemprepositories (which is quite large these days...). I think I have stumbled on to a very cool Neb tweak, at least for my work. If I get brave enough, I just may start setting up more specific instances, like consoles, (maybe even split into different functions of consoles), preamps, tapes, etc. THAT would be a huge job!! But from the little bit that I have done already, those instances with much smaller libraries to scan load much much faster. Like lightning.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:47 am

After reading your post & recent experience, Richie, I think you have hit upon a serious work flow 'clog' working with NEBULA.

My current 'library' of NEB's is over 2500 :shock:
And as new libraries get released, I can't help but feel my 'stash' will only grow :mrgreen:

BUT .... the time it takes for NEB to even come up to a ready to use state is getting excruciatingly slower.

QUESTION to 'G' ... is it possible for NEB to NOT have to SCAN for each and every instance we load ?? I see a 'cache' generated everytime... is this still an absolute necessity ???

Better yet, since it may have been difficult to plan for the size that the library would grow, ARE there any programming strategies being consider that could alleviate this ???

Although I still continue to have GUI issues, in light of the current consensus that the product is stable, I would ask that some attention go into this ever growing issue. PLEASE. :!:

Although user assembled 'favorites' being organized may temporarily help ... at the same time, this would also add to other issues ... like, oh, that WASN'T in my FAVs ... now I have to load a different version of NEB and wait for that. :roll:

Sorry to rant ... but I hope these points will be taken in the proper way. Now, I'm actually hesitating buying more .... this is NOT a good thing for ANY of US.

Again, sorry for jumping on the original post.

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 am

The original problem that I had when I posted is solved, so no problem RJ for jumping in with your thoughts. I understand what you are saying, but Nebula, as you know, is not like any other VST we are used to working with. And the serious work-flow "problems" were evident in the beginning of each users Nebula experience, yet we continues to gather libraries and train our ears to be accustomed to this deeper and more flavored digital audio. I am at a point in my own audio work that if I truly want it to sound as good as it can, I just bite the bullet and start "Nebulizing". If time is an issue, then I may partially Nebulize and rely on my most favorite (and still awesome) standard VST's, and not worry about "what it could have been" had I used more Nebula. I have seen enough responses from Giancarlo, as well as from some of the more experienced users, that seem to communicate that while it has GUI awkwardness, and MAJOR necessary work-flow adjustments, it is as good as possible right now. It is very possible that these issues may NEVER get worked out in the way some people want. It IS emulation, after all. And we DO learn to crave that Nebula vibe. That is why I was toying around with my own answer to the work-flow issue, instead of waiting for Acustica to do it for me. The biggest drawback I see in my method of having many specific instances with their own specific libraries is something that I hadn't thought of until a moment ago.....UPDATES.... OMG, that will be fun. But aside from that, it is a revelation for my work-flow. These smaller library instances load up VERY fast. I don't dread loading up a Nebula instance, no more whistling and waiting....
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby futur2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:11 pm

a more efficient method is to use zabukowskis nebula set-ups. only for windows though.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
futur2

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 pm

futur2 wrote:a more efficient method is to use zabukowskis nebula set-ups. only for windows though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I tried that when he first released it, and while the set-up is more efficient, the usage was not. The beauty of what my method is that each instance only scans the libraries installed in it's specific folder, so the load time is DRASTICALLY reduced. Yes, my multiple instances take a little thought to set up, but now that i have figured it out, it's totally worth the time spent now. The project i am currently working on has been an amazing test for this. When I need a reverb instance, I load it into Reaper and BAM, it's there. And the browser window only has my reverbs. Maybe I will play with Zabukowski's tool again to see if I am mistaken about that. But i thought that while his accomplishes some of what my crazy methods accomplish, with his Nebula still needs to scan the whole nebulatemprepositories folder.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby futur2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:27 pm

initial loading of an original nebula instance on my machine with more than 1300 programs (third party only) installed takes about a good second to instantiate. not BAM but pretty fast.

i rather prefer not to complicate my nebula setup by moving stuff around as i don't really need it faster. but i see your point!

i don't use zabs tool, just tested it a while ago, but maybe i start using it.

richie43 wrote:
futur2 wrote:a more efficient method is to use zabukowskis nebula set-ups. only for windows though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I tried that when he first released it, and while the set-up is more efficient, the usage was not. The beauty of what my method is that each instance only scans the libraries installed in it's specific folder, so the load time is DRASTICALLY reduced. Yes, my multiple instances take a little thought to set up, but now that i have figured it out, it's totally worth the time spent now. The project i am currently working on has been an amazing test for this. When I need a reverb instance, I load it into Reaper and BAM, it's there. And the browser window only has my reverbs. Maybe I will play with Zabukowski's tool again to see if I am mistaken about that. But i thought that while his accomplishes some of what my crazy methods accomplish, with his Nebula still needs to scan the whole nebulatemprepositories folder.
futur2

Postby zabukowski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:48 pm

If I understand this thread correctly, Nebula Set-ups is doing exactly what is required by Richie43.

There is no repository rescanning - except for the first time, as usual. Plugin loading is instant.

Each plugin (setup) created with Set-up has its own program list, even more - you can define a default program to be loaded.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Yup. I stand corrected Zabukowski! I just played around with this for a while, and you all are correct. It DOES accomplish the same thing and without me moving things around. Next question then.... the updates. This will still be a pain in the but, I presume. Each of the new dll's will need to be over-written by hand anyway, right? Another thing; I have both 32 and 64bit Reaper and Nebula. If I create a bunch of new Zabukowski-style dll's in 64bit, do I need to carefully repeat the whole thing for 32bit if I want my 2 Reaper/Nebula set-ups to be cross compatible?
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 pm

A question for you, Rich: does this also speed up the instantiation of FX chain Nebula instances? Or is that about the same?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:23 pm

ngarjuna wrote:A question for you, Rich: does this also speed up the instantiation of FX chain Nebula instances? Or is that about the same?

Are you referring to fx chains as saved in reaper? If so, I hardly use chains for Nebula anymore since they took so long. But maybe I'll try and let you know. But either way, Having separate instances that scan for only certain things, however you set it up, loads much much faster.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula