Login

Using Nebula as an AUX Insert particularly console programs?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Using Nebula as an AUX Insert particularly console programs?

Postby Genes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi does anyone use Nebula as an AUX insert? so that you can send all your tracks to the AUX/Bus that its inserted on using pre fade sends rather than inserting on each track.

I do have problems with running multiple instances and want to apply some overall consistency to a a mix using a console program.

I asked someone about this yesterday and they suggested it was better to use Nebula on a track by track basis.
Genes
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Using Nebula as an AUX Insert particularly console programs?

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah, I do this with pretty much all my reverbs.

ETA: Not sure who was telling you to only use it track by track (or why) but I definitely don't agree with that advice.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Nebula as an insert fx sound better to my ears.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Genes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Yeah, I do this with pretty much all my reverbs.

ETA: Not sure who was telling you to only use it track by track (or why) but I definitely don't agree with that advice.

They were referring to using something like the Alex B consoles on a track by track basis not reverbs. ... I was hoping I could save my CPU by using one of my Alex B console programs on an Aux Bus and then send each track to it .. can't really see how it is different from using it as an insert.
Genes
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Genes wrote:

They were referring to using something like the Alex B consoles on a track by track basis not reverbs. ... I was hoping I could save my CPU by using one of my Alex B console programs on an Aux Bus and then send each track to it .. can't really see how it is different from using it as an insert.

Oh, that's kind of a different story. I don't think I would use the console programs that way. For one thing, I always try to alternate between inputs and busses (on programs that have multiple choices available), that helps to maximize some of the really subtle differences that make the whole thing sound more "real" (or like a real desk, anyway). So that's one major difference: my average mix makes use of every input program and many of the buss programs.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Genes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
Genes wrote:

Oh, that's kind of a different story. I don't think I would use the console programs that way. For one thing, I always try to alternate between inputs and busses (on programs that have multiple choices available), that helps to maximize some of the really subtle differences that make the whole thing sound more "real" (or like a real desk, anyway). So that's one major difference: my average mix makes use of every input program and many of the buss programs.

ok I create 3 - 4 Aux Bus with a different characteristic of the console on each then send tracks to one of them or two at the same time etc.

and maybe a tape program on another :D
Genes
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Genes wrote:ok I create 3 - 4 Aux Bus with a different characteristic of the console on each then send tracks to one of them or two at the same time etc.

and maybe a tape program on another :D

You definitely *can* do that, but I still think you're missing out on one of the most important aspects of the tape and console programs: tailoring individual (and different) programs/levels to create a more realistic reaction similar to the way that the hardware would react. It's a subtle difference, probably, but those subtleties are one of the things that makes the Nebula programs superior to other decent emulations that have a more one-size-fits-all approach.

There also might be an order of operations difference (I guess this might vary from host to host): when I apply and render tracks with these individual programs, the summing engine is adding up the various results of the programs. There's an interaction between the (already affected) tracks and the harmonics you've built up in each of them. In your example, your summing engine would be summing the individual programs and then applying the Nebula program to that result. It would be like putting the program only on the 2-buss. That's going to sound a bit different I would think.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula