Login

Worth selling a preamp or two?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Worth selling a preamp or two?

Postby anthonyhowells » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:52 pm

My question is related to preamps. It is a tough one for me but may be simply answered by an experienced Nebula user who has gone through the same thought.

If I record through a neutral preamp of good quality...a modern pre along the lines of a Steinberg D pre, mackie onyx, mackie desk, presonous pre, rme pre...etc etc. Something pretty normal but good quality with enough gain to drive most mics, lacking in character but good clean drive etc...

...then apply a Nebula PREAMP preset to the audio file.

Is this the same net effect as using the preset pres 'real deal' preamp (as in NOT the emulation but the hardware) with the mic being driven by said preamp while recording?

So I mean, will this clean neutral signal recorded with a simple preamp, having had a Nebula pre preset applied, lets say an A*I preset, now sound like the same mic recorded through the same hardware A*I preamp in the first place?

When I say same as...I understand the room for error given emulation, so I'm not looking for perfection As a result or as an answer...just ballpark similarity to the quality of recording with a pre as opposed to adding a pre flavour later.

I wonder if the pre affects the mic while recording in ways that can't be emulated later by applying a 'pre' preset emulation later.

Has anyone had any success with applying preset pre's and being satisfied with their outcome after using many real preamps over time? I've only owned ADM, N**e, Sony and GA pre's along with many stock pre's of interfaces, mixers, etc so I am interested in trying things out myself too, just very interested in what's already been tested.

thanks for your ideas. Apologies if this has been discussed, tried a quick search but it seems a bit specific for the search words I was using...

Cheers!
anthonyhowells
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Worth selling a preamp or two?

Postby mertayy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:48 pm

My thought, personally I'd like some mojo at the recording stage. I'm not sure if leaving everything (coloration related) after the source recorded is a good idea.

Even if they are; I don't see preamp emulations as preamps, they are color options for me just like anything else thats sampled with Nebula.

Also you can think like this, you won't be using everything and whatever preamp you prefer (hardware) there will always be options to add on to it ITB. So rather than depending on software, leaving it as optional makes more sense to me.
mertayy

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm with mertayy on this one. Even with the best "emulations", one can't dismiss the moment a signal in it's more natural state pushing air, transformed into voltage, can be nicely colored by analog gear. Approach it as that being the real foundation and Nebula being the spice; the garnish.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby anthonyhowells » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:30 am

Thanks for the replies and good points.

"Also you can think like this, you won't be using everything and whatever preamp you prefer (hardware) there will always be options to add on to it ITB. So rather than depending on software, leaving it as optional makes more sense to me."

This is my thinking, but coming from another angle, I could see it like this: Say I record with a clean preamp first off...good transient response, depth and non coloured sound. Then the option allows me to later experiment more with pre colours in my own time, and not the singers and bands time.

I know pre's and mics interact with each other affecting transients, depth and perception of 3 dimensions of a recorded source etc. and there is more too gaining a pre's sound than a plugin added later which isn't quite the same. but having said that, it would be easier to add flavour to a clean and neutrally recoded signal later on ITB than it would be to add more colour to an already coloured signal.

Just some thoughts. I don't like to commit to EQ when recording for instance. This comes later (and i have to say, Nebula is making this easier!). Other like to commit to EQ pre-recording. I also don't like to commit to any strong compression pre record. Then again I don't like committment in general so maybe that is just me :)

Anyway when I get the chance I will try adding preset pre's later to a cleanly recorded signal through a neutral sounding pre such as on my MR816 interface (Yamaha D-pre from their bigger consoles) and try a 1073 style pre. and then later compare through a GA pre 73, which at least somewhat sounds like my old 1073 which died. It will be interesting to see how they compare. It will be very unscientific!

Cheers again.
anthonyhowells
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mertayy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am

http://www.nebula-programs.com/

Long time ago a member made a lot of examples with different preamps on the same song, I'm not sure if its still there but it will be worth for you to check.
mertayy

Postby anthonyhowells » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi mertayy

thanks, It will be a tough search to find it from a brief look bt will keep trying. Did you mean preamp emu's or pre's applied in recording stage? I assume the former.

Cheers.

Ant
anthonyhowells
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula