Login

Optimising MAST parameters for different types of programs

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Optimising MAST parameters for different types of programs

Postby analoginthebox.com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Well, as I understand LFREQD is just the upper limit, programs will use the FREQD specified by the developer unless it's higher than LFREQD...

Yes that' right.
I suggest not to limit it on the MAST page.
For instance there could (and the will be ;) ) cabs around using 300ms or 500ms H1 length. This way is not 100% safe to get the same results that developers intended their releases to deliver.

RateCNV 3200 as default for reverbs is not enough. There are reverbs around with much longer tails or even more.

For Pres/EQs/Consoles/... it could be even less. But again: It doesn't matter because developers don't keep 2s (including some padding space) kernels for a console or a an Eq.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Juanjo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks for the info!

analoginthebox.com wrote:
Well, as I understand LFREQD is just the upper limit, programs will use the FREQD specified by the developer unless it's higher than LFREQD...

Yes that' right.
I suggest not to limit it on the MAST page.
For instance there could (and the will be ;) ) cabs around using 300ms or 500ms H1 length. This way is not 100% safe to get the same results that developers intended their releases to deliver.

I was using 100ms because the cabs I own don't have kernels higher than 50ms, but I'll adjust this for your cabs (looking forward to them btw ;)

So, always using a high LFREQD (say, 12000ms for reverbs, 1000ms for everything else) should be fine? I'm not sure if this parameter can have any negative side effects i.e. cpu loads or program loading times...

analoginthebox.com wrote:RateCNV 3200 as default for reverbs is not enough. There are reverbs around with much longer tails or even more.

For Pres/EQs/Consoles/... it could be even less. But again: It doesn't matter because developers don't keep 2s (including some padding space) kernels for a console or a an Eq.

I thought RATECNV wasn't related to kernel length... how exactly? In any case, I'll raise it for my reverbs.
Juanjo
User Level II
User Level II

Postby analoginthebox.com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:10 pm

So, always using a high LFREQD (say, 12000ms for reverbs, 1000ms for everything else) should be fine? I'm not sure if this parameter can have any negative side effects i.e. cpu loads or program loading times...

In terms of quality there is no negative effect.
When it comes to loading time: I don't know much about current "official" libraries but for all 3rd party developers that I got my hands on you won't waste time because kernel length is already limited to a useful amount by the developers when crypting.
So, yes, with high values you are on the safe side.

I thought RATECNV wasn't related to kernel length... how exactly? In any case, I'll raise it for my reverbs.

RateCNV (expressed in ms) = max kernel size that will be used for SRC.
Again: It is safe to set it to maximum or any high value if you can live with increased loading time.

I hope that was useful.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Juanjo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:18 pm

analoginthebox.com wrote:I hope that was useful.

It was indeed, thanks so much.
Juanjo
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks for this info guys, appreciated! ;)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula