Login

Nebula 3 on a Mac. How to change the directory path

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula 3 on a Mac. How to change the directory path

Postby cpwade » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 am

If you plan to move the directory to another drive:

http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/What-Ar ... c-Os-X.htm
Last edited by cpwade on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpwade

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Andro wrote:Please! Someone on MAC! Help!
Show us your paths as an example please!
Thanks!

I can confirm that the nebula libraries works on a external HDD on osx

Nebula tip of the month has not covered a very good explanation on this for osx

So i had to google around to understand the right paths to truly understand them for osx

I did find a xml file when i googled and to me it was much easier understanding what to do just by looking on that xml file

I'll post a screenshot hopefully tonight if i can make it, if not im posting it tomorrow :) so stay tuned cause it does work :)

Edit :
I think I'm gonna make a thread on Gearlsutz on this so we can have this information in one place and make it easy for new users to understand in a not too tecnical way

I'll post the link in here when i have created the thread

Cheers
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby keedie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:11 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:
Andro wrote:Please! Someone on MAC! Help!
Show us your paths as an example please!
Thanks!

I can confirm that the nebula libraries works on a external HDD on osx

Nebula tip of the month has not covered a very good explanation on this for osx

So i had to google around to understand the right paths to truly understand them for osx

I did find a xml file when i googled and to me it was much easier understanding what to do just by looking on that xml file

I'll post a screenshot hopefully tonight if i can make it, if not im posting it tomorrow :) so stay tuned cause it does work :)

Edit :
I think I'm gonna make a thread on Gearlsutz on this so we can have this information in one place and make it easy for new users to understand in a not too tecnical way

I'll post the link in here when i have created the thread

Cheers

Greetings jfjer, could you please give me step by step instructions to change directory path to my 3rd party libraries on my SSD. A lot of conjecture about how to do this on Mac. There seems to be steps in between that are not fully explained in detail about how to achieve this. Even Acustica's own manuals are of no help. In addition, I have a question about installing Alex B.'s and others libraries, the installer doesn't seem to work. When I click on it none of the libraries show up like they do when installing Acustica's own libraries(they installed fine and show up in menu "Init") presets. What am I doing wrong? All of my Acqua's and Nebula Server Ultimate are registered and authorized. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 am

ok , just started a thread on Gearslutz on this

i started out with posting my xml file for osx

but questions will be answered too if i know the answer hehe

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... st11588957
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Please take in account you are editing a file written in XML, our products from 1.4.00x support relative and complete paths.

Alternative data path should be a valid full path, so you can test it in finder in OSX before use it or in Explorer in Windows.

Note not all file systems are supported so you should tell us which one are you using.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby keedie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:ok , just started a thread on Gearslutz on this

jfjer, Thanks!
keedie
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm

keedie wrote:

jfjer, Thanks!

no problem
full easy to understand explanation for osx is done now :)

i have explained it as easy as possible without getting to technical

it's not perfect but i think most people will understand the Alternative data path for osx after reading it which is the key to do it

Cheers
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:25 pm

This is great info! Thank you. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... stuff.html
cpwade

Postby mixmonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:27 am

As cpwade alluded to with his post at the top of this page, if you don't want to get into editing the xml file and just want to move the library to save space on your start up disk and/or put it on an SSD, the easiest method is simply to move your Vectors folder to the disk of your choice, create a symbolic link to it and put that link in the Nebula3 folder (after deleting the original Vectors folder) You could move the Programs folder too, but it really doesn't use that much space, so I didn't bother.

You don't have to use the Terminal to create the link either. Here's a page where a kind chap has written an Automator workflow that installs a 'Create symbolic link' service that you can access by right clicking on the folder you want to link to:

https://tumbleseed.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... k-service/

He mentions that you have to open it in Automator and save it to the Services folder, but I found (on 10.10.5) that double clicking the unzipped workflow generates a dialog asking if you want to install it as a service. If you click 'Install' it simply moves the workflow to home folder/Library/Services.

Now right click on your newly moved Vectors folder and select 'Create symbolic link' You should see what looks like a Mac Alias appear called 'Vectors link' Copy this back to your Nebula3 folder and rename it to just 'Vectors' If you click on it you should see the contents of your Vectors folder on the other disk and so will Nebula. You can delete the 'Vectors link' link left sitting next to your Vectors folder on the other disk.

Bear in mind if you move the Vectors folder again, you will have to recreate the link. It won't follow it like a Mac Alias will.

Incidentally, if you're a Logic Pro X user and you'd like to move that ~15GB GarageBand folder in Application Support off your start up disc, this technique will work for that too.
mixmonkey
User Level III
User Level III

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula