Login

Nebula - Stability

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula - Stability

Postby Giggy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Is anybody having trouble with Nebula crashing?

What users here have a stable system running Nebula? By stable I mean (at least): running a project with a minimum of 16 tracks, 20 instances of Nebula with other plugs for a whole day without any crashes. If you've managed this could you list your OS, computer, and DAW?

thanks
Giggy
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Nebula - Stability

Postby giancarlo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:54 pm

many. Check the ram usage in 32 bits systems or hosts. Sometimes lacking of resources is the main issues. Memory limit for 32 bits plug is around 1.2 gigabytes due to memory fragmentation
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Genes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Giancarlo given what you have said regarding 32 Bit and Memory allocation if I am running a few Ram intensive VST's such as Kontakt 4 and IR Reverbs that go over the 1.2GB would opening an instance of Nebula then just cause my DAW (Studio One) to crash. I struggle with Nebula I must admit; its one of those plug ins where I have to think to myself OK now time for some Nebula :!:save save save :!: :arrow:

I have had crashing on both Cubase 4/5 and S1.

Great product unfortunately a bit under productive on workflow

I am running XP SP3 32 Bit Intel Q9400 (4) 3.2GB Ram
Genes
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:34 pm

ok contact me, we'll work on a solution
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Genes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for replying Giancarlo in fairness I haven't tried the lastest installers does this improve stability - CPU/Ram resourcing.
Genes
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Giggy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:24 pm

I've sorta taken a break from Nebula the last few weeks, I've been sorta bummed out.

When I downloaded the the free plug and first heard it I thought to myself this is it, I've finally found something that is the real deal, I could hear that it sounded analog and 3D...this was exicting becuase this was the first time I've ever heard this in a plugin.

Afer doing some investigating and asking questions, most of which you can read right here on this forum I realized my computer wasn't strong enough to handle the plugs. This was a Digital Village built PC for music in 2006, Pentium 4, etc.

So two months ago I bought the new AW700 from Digital Village, I7 920, 4 gigs of RAM running Windows 7 JUST to use Nebula. Guess what? It's apparently still not enough. I should have chosen Windows 7 64 bit. Now apparently if I buy this everything should be fine...okay.

I've contacted Digital Village about this and they can do it but it will cost another £170, plus I've already installed everything and will have to take the computer back, get all new 64 bit plugs, etc.

I'm disapointed because I think it should be made CRYSTAL CLEAR on this site that you pretty much cannot run these plugs in any serious mixing situation without a certain spec of computer. I think Acustica-Audio should reccomend this spec, because without it you're fucked.

Now I should also say Giancarlo is an absolute legend of a dude and has promptly answered my questions but it's sorta all after the fact, like I'm chasing my own tail. I've bought all this stuff, the new computer, all the Analoginthebox libraries, Neb 3 Pro and I can't use it because it sucks the life out of the RAM after 6 instances which crashes the computer and takes ALL the fun out of making music.

It would be great to get some assurance that if I bring my computer back and upgrade and spend more money in the quest to bring Nebula to a real world working level that it will work and also for Acustica to have a very clear section explaining what spec of computer one should use.

I've never had any trouble running plugs in my life. I use great gear, UA 2192 converter, track it all through A*I and have been using the Duende and Waves stuff but I REALLY want to switch everything over to Nebula. I'm here, I believe, I will buy the plugs and whatever you want just tell me how to get it to work.

Peace
Giggy
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Vando » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Try JBridge. It helped me to increase the number of Nebula instances notably. You can test it with the free version first.
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Giggy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks, I'll try Jbridge.

I'm only using Analoginthebox plugins - Doc Fear, Mammoth EQ, Fate compressor and the VXNT plate verb.

I understand these plugs can take up more RAM then the commercial libraries.

It still seems odd that a brand new computer with the latest specs can't handle more then 6 instances without crashing but that's why I'm looking foward to Win 7 64 bit.

Of course if that doesn't work then it I'll probably go bananas and just buy all the hardware.
Giggy
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Working with Nebula