Login

Real world pc specs

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Real world pc specs

Postby garyk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:18 am

Of course I'm loving Nebula. And of course I had to do a whole load of rendering before I could hear anything which just killed my workflow. CPU was pegged to the max.

Is there a realistic pc spec for getting Neb to function in a mix without rendering/freezing? When I added in the console and tape across the mix I wanted to adjust the eqs, comps (and levels) of the other regular vsts. Being rendered, it was laborious to say the least!

I think Nebula is worth it so I'm not complaining. But is upgrading the CPU or RAM going to help or is Nebula so demanding that we just need to accept rendering for now? Can we optimise Nebula for mixing as opposed to tracking? I've dropped my latency on my Lynx L22 to 1024 (the max).

I run an i7 920, 6gb ram W7 x64. My track had 8-10 softsynths, 2 busses and 2 fx busses, all with 2-5 vst inserts. Plenty were jbridged - does that affect things? Vocals not in yet but would eventually add another 4-6 tracks or so and another buss, with similar inserts but obviously as audio not virtual instruments.

Thanks for any tips!
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Real world pc specs

Postby garyk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:44 am

Oops just seen the optimisation tips (FAQ 4.2) and will give that a go. I have a feeling it won't be enough...
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:46 pm

light releases for console are coming... anyway how many instances do you open?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby garyk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:52 pm

My hope was, for a small mix, to open 60+ instances...
for example
6 vocals
10 virtual instruments
4 busses
2 fx returns
2 buss

I thought initially to run 1 AlexB, 1 R2R and 1 Tapebooster on each.

Then as I got more into Nebula try some eqs and compressors. I can easily see a medium-sized production hitting 100+ instances!
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:19 pm

well, you use a lot of alexb and mangel stuff, so in that direction light version of them will help you a lot! A "microkernel" is around 50% of previous cpu load, so your computer could be able to handle that number.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby garyk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Oh great. So I'll change the PROG RATE to 4ms like the FAQ says and look for these lite versions of AlexB and MAngel.

Hope the quality doesn't drop by 50%!

Thanks
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Postby garyk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't know which thing did it or all of them, but after rendering, turning off all vstis and vsts (duh!), changing Prog rate to 4 ms or more and changing the Rate cnv to 3200 for Alex's console I now have my virtual analogue domain and only 40% cpu! And that using the full fat selections.

Enough hp left to do the vocals! I think next time I'll try fewer regular vsts too as everything just sits right.

Very happy user! :D

Giancarlo sorry to have wasted forum space but at least it shows that even a Neb noob can get going in just a few days!
garyk
User Level I
User Level I

Return to Working with Nebula