Login

new nebula user

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

new nebula user

Postby tex viler » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi guys, i am a new nebula 3 free bundle user and im thinking of buying full pro version, but for now i have to get to know how it works before i go pro...
can u tell me what can i download for nebula while im free user?
tex viler
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: new nebula user

Postby Mimi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi my friend welcome to the family nebula.
nebula is a plugin which is not simple dynamic...
Is the photo copy of the hardware,with all 10 harmonics identical to the hardware and for its high technology,is a little heavy.
but nothing serious or scary.
you have a band at a time, by the fact that if it had all the bands you have no idea of the weight.
but opening cascade minimizes this problem by 99%.
I use the version nebula3 pro bundler,is the best.
A big hug my friend.
Mimi

Postby tex viler » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:34 pm

ok i have few questions...
I want to record my own album proffesionly (as it can be)
I have RODE K2 mic, and m audio project mix but i wanna get RME fireface 800 (or maybe this F*******e http://www.F*******e.com/products/saffi ... affire_56/
what do you think i should get...)

So the most important question is can i record, mix and master vocal, bass, guitar and keyboards with no external gear but good guitar and bass amps, RODE K2 for vocal, shure sm57 for guitars and for interface RME FF800 (or this F*******e) and some monitors offcourse...? I will records drums in some other studio cause just mics for drums would be double budget which i dont have for now...
can it be done just with using nebula plugs for preamps, eq's, reverbs... (and maybe some other plugs also) so i can give it to record company? Music is pop funk... http://www.myspace.com/noa3108

i have a really good team of musicians and me and my friend are going to mix it...
let's say that we will do our job good, i just want to know can it be done with this equipment...?
I ask a lot, but if u people got the time i would shure use some help...
THANX A MILLION :-)
tex viler
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Mimi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi my friend...Yes you can.
you bought an excellent microphone.
Rode K2 is equal the neumam M249.
And on the audio interfece, I prefer the RME fireface 800...
F*******e has some driver issues,and discontinue its products very fast.
I recorded samba with hiphop wiht much less.
I posted here in the forum:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Link for download:
http://www.4shared.com/audio/RCZkTY5L/- ... _lima.html
And I suggest you Get a compressor borrowed,I used an Alesis 3630 in Lincon de Lima, only to battery and percussions.
batteries arrived in stereo passing through a small console mackie of 8 channels.
nebula used for everything in the mix and Master sound.
I used comercial Library prés AlexB and consoles... only Nebula3 pro Bundler.
What software do you use? advise the reaper, it does offline process,freeing the CPU.
The great thing is to get borrowed equipment,the microphones I used were borrowed.
Do not despair,you need not buy everything.
Buy nebula3 pro bundler he does so much for a low price.
AlexB console and AlexB equalizers... I recommend Analoginthebox FatQ With AlexB VBC_console.
Any doubt I'm ready to help. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Good luck and good mix my friend.
Mimi

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:26 pm

tex viler wrote:ok i have few questions...
I want to record my own album proffesionly (as it can be)
I have RODE K2 mic, and m audio project mix but i wanna get RME fireface 800 (or maybe this F*******e http://www.F*******e.com/products/saffi ... affire_56/
what do you think i should get...)

So the most important question is can i record, mix and master vocal, bass, guitar and keyboards with no external gear but good guitar and bass amps, RODE K2 for vocal, shure sm57 for guitars and for interface RME FF800 (or this F*******e) and some monitors offcourse...? I will records drums in some other studio cause just mics for drums would be double budget which i dont have for now...
can it be done just with using nebula plugs for preamps, eq's, reverbs... (and maybe some other plugs also) so i can give it to record company? Music is pop funk... http://www.myspace.com/noa3108

i have a really good team of musicians and me and my friend are going to mix it...
let's say that we will do our job good, i just want to know can it be done with this equipment...?
I ask a lot, but if u people got the time i would shure use some help...
THANX A MILLION :-)

It's all about experience and knowledge. Having good tools is important but it's way more important that you know how to use them well. It took all of the great engineers years of trial and error to get to the point where they were considered great; there is no hardware or software that can supplement that time spent. I'm not trying to patronize you but based on the questions you are asking it might be unrealistic to expect that you can just throw together a good mix.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Jankowiz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:53 am

Good seeing I am not the only new Nebula user here. :D

Have you tried this Doc Fearn equalizer free? I came to nebula lands with this impulses. No i am seeking what else goodies i can find :)

Cheers
Jankowiz
Jankowiz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby tex viler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:58 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
It's all about experience and knowledge. Having good tools is important but it's way more important that you know how to use them well. It took all of the great engineers years of trial and error to get to the point where they were considered great; there is no hardware or software that can supplement that time spent. I'm not trying to patronize you but based on the questions you are asking it might be unrealistic to expect that you can just throw together a good mix.

y ngarjuna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:26 pm
but u did patrionized after all... only critic and no help.. ok...that is your right.

http://www.myspace.com/ovakozvucimo

on this album i played drums keys and backing vocals, we recorded it in a good studio with a bnad producer, so i took the tracks and mixed it on
M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIPHILE 24/96 and listened on sony stereo :-)
I think i did a great job for the first record...

i have no real comercial experience in studio but i have bin in studio and recorde maybe 30 songs in my life some mine some of frends bands, i trust my sense and my ears, i just need minimum system requirement to do this because in two months i'm beginning to
record and mix my own album and thats why i need this info and help http://www.myspace.com/noa3108 this is some songs (old recordings)
i play keys drums, guitars and leed vocals

Jankowiz wrote:Good seeing I am not the only new Nebula user here. :D

Have you tried this Doc Fearn equalizer free? I came to nebula lands with this impulses. No i am seeking what else goodies i can find :)

Cheers
Jankowiz

i just instaled nebula 3 free few days ago, i didin have time to try it yet, but i will these days, i will post something when i do? i really hope that with good interface and some good mics i will be able to record and mix a solid record...
tex viler
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:32 pm

tex viler wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:

y ngarjuna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:26 pm
but u did patrionized after all... only critic and no help.. ok...that is your right.

http://www.myspace.com/ovakozvucimo

on this album i played drums keys and backing vocals, we recorded it in a good studio with a bnad producer, so i took the tracks and mixed it on
M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIPHILE 24/96 and listened on sony stereo :-)
I think i did a great job for the first record...

i have no real comercial experience in studio but i have bin in studio and recorde maybe 30 songs in my life some mine some of frends bands, i trust my sense and my ears, i just need minimum system requirement to do this because in two months i'm beginning to
record and mix my own album and thats why i need this info and help http://www.myspace.com/noa3108 this is some songs (old recordings)
i play keys drums, guitars and leed vocals

You asked a specific question: with [gear list] gear, can I mix a good record? And the answer is, frankly, that people who mix good records already know the limitations of their equipment from using it. I was trying to be honest that no matter how good or bad Nebula is it isn't going to make up for the fact that mixing takes practice, just like playing. If you just want someone to tell you your gear is good enough, fine, your gear is good enough. Great albums have been made with far worse.

Let me ask you a question:

If I go out and buy the nicest, most expensive Guitar/Amp/Cab I can get my hands on, a nice vintage Strat with a good sounding retubed Twin Reverb...am I ready to play Carnegie Hall? After all, as an engineer, I know what good guitars sound like and have recorded them many, many times. So with the right equipment I can be a great guitarist, right? It's the same thing with mixing.

Every single one of my clients has a computer and 99% of them have recording and mixing tools. I'm sure at some point every one of them has thought to themselves, "I have equipment almost as good as Ngarjuna, I should just record this myself." And yet they all end up back here. The difference in results is easily audible: because they're musicians; I'm an engineer. You can be both, but it takes practice in both disciplines. They practiced playing music every day this year; I mixed every day this year. That's why they aren't good mixers and I'm not a good guitarist.

Take it how you will but it's not an insult to suggest that being good at something like mixing takes a fair amount practice. If you have such practice, then I guess you already know the answer to your own question and can easily disregard the advice of a "critic" like me.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby tex viler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Its not insult, we'r just talking, you have experience and i respect that (and tryng to get some free lessons ;) )
you are right i can go to studio and hire a producer, but i really like working in studio, many musicians dont like mixing and producing and all studio work, they just like playing and that is the difference, i enjoy both, beeing in studio and on stage... i just need some guidance to not by wrong equipement, i have some oppinion, but would like to comfirm it ore receive other advice bout it..
i didnt say it was a insult, but you sonuded like you must record 20 years to be a good producer, maybe thats true, but it is not a rule (i hope)

i will collect about 2500 euros for now.. you get the picture for now what do i want, what is the best to invest in? good interface (with option to expand so i can record acoustic drums in the future) and plugs like nebula (or else) or do i need external preamp/comp or channel strip?
can i pass with just plugs for now, cause i dont want to by cheap preamp, thats a waste of money... i have solid mic RODE K2 for now..
tex viler
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:45 pm

tex viler wrote:Its not insult, we'r just talking, you have experience and i respect that (and tryng to get some free lessons ;) )
you are right i can go to studio and hire a producer, but i really like working in studio, many musicians dont like mixing and producing and all studio work, they just like playing and that is the difference, i enjoy both, beeing in studio and on stage... i just need some guidance to not by wrong equipement, i have some oppinion, but would like to comfirm it ore receive other advice bout it..
i didnt say it was a insult, but you sonuded like you must record 20 years to be a good producer, maybe thats true, but it is not a rule (i hope)

i will collect about 2500 euros for now.. you get the picture for now what do i want, what is the best to invest in? good interface (with option to expand so i can record acoustic drums in the future) and plugs like nebula (or else) or do i need external preamp/comp or channel strip?
can i pass with just plugs for now, cause i dont want to by cheap preamp, thats a waste of money... i have solid mic RODE K2 for now..

I think for what you're trying to accomplish the preamps on your Fireface should be fine; ditto on the mic choice.

So to your new question: I don't believe any particular piece of hardware is essential, one should be able to get a good result exclusively using ITB tools. There are some who disagree with that; there are others (more famous and successful than I) who mix exclusively ITB. For ITB tools, I strongly believe Nebula is one of the best tools you can get your hands on for a wide variety of tasks. And it's not just best because of its versatility, it's actually top of the line for many of those individual duties. I personally do use some outboard effects but I don't think if I were unable to use them I would be unable to complete good mixes (they just help me get where I want to go faster).

If I made it sound like it takes 20 years to be a good producer then perhaps I have overstated my case. It's not an amount of time, it's an amount of actual experience/practice. And it's not a set number, there are lots of variables that will affect how quickly you master the "essentials". Think of it this way: if anyone could engineer with the right equipment, that wouldn't be saying much for us engineers and what we do. If you had asked the same question to a bunch of musicians you'd probably get a different sort of opinion. But, likewise, if you asked a non-musician if you could quickly become a virtuoso they'd be more likely to agree that you could than a musician who had actually put in the time becoming one. Because in that case the musician knows what it actually took (the toil) whereas everyone else would be just kind of surmising.

In any case, good luck to you. For sure the best way to become a good mixer is just: mix, mix mix. Nothing beats practice. It's important to read and understand certain fundamentals but no amount of reading (even the best guides and books) can make up for what you learn when you're actually doing it. Maybe your first mixes won't come out exactly how you want them but you should see progress each and every mix.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula