Login

performance meter and crash on Reaper

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

performance meter and crash on Reaper

Postby mitch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

Hi, I bought a nuclear Pc and now I am very happy to be able to use 50 instances of Nebula at the same time. :D

My problem is that I only know that I have reached the limits of my computer when the Reaper project crashes, because the Reaper performance meter shows me around 32% when I am about to crash . :shock:

Does it mean that the crash comes from another problem, or that the performance meter is not accurate on spikes which happen on loading a new Nebula instance?
And in this case, is it possible to avoid Reaper from crashing on spikes when loading a new instance, so that I can go a bit further with more plugins, maybe with a buffer setting or anything of this kind? :?:

Thanks
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: performance meter and crash on Reaper

Postby gurth » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Could be a memory problem.

You could figure this out with looking at task manager if youre using a windows machine.
gurth
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mitch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 pm

In fact, I am using a windows machine.
I remember reading in the task manager that I was using 4 gig of Ram when I was in a crash situation (lots of Nebulas, and 32% cpu use according to Reaper).

But my Pc is loaded with 16 gig of ram...
Is there a well known trick to enable more Ram to be used by Reaper/Nebula? Or is it a super complicated/impossible process to get to use more Ram ?
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Hello mitch. Nebula reverb use a intensive multi thread scheme so it's not easy to measure the right amount of CPU/RAM consumption. In addition CPU core should be latency compensated and seems that some sequencers fails in that topic. Can you restrict the amount of cores from 4 to 3 in Reaper? Did you Report this to reaper support, now we Have NFR Reaper license so we can bug hunting together.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby mitch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi, Enrique,

"Can you restrict the amount of cores from 4 to 3 in Reaper?"
I'll try to test that to see what happens.

"Did you Report this to reaper support, now we Have NFR Reaper license so we can bug hunting together."
Ok great! I'll report my crashes, and I'll see if I can go somewhere.

As both the meters of cpu and memory show that I don't use all of the available resources...
I think maybe it's possible to load even more Nebula instances with the proper Reaper settings..
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Return to Working with Nebula