Login

How many instances of Nebula can you use on top PC?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

How many instances of Nebula can you use on top PC?

Postby Satoration » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Ok,

I just bought a new PC, primarily also to be able to use more Nebula... I have i7 950, 4mb RAM, etc., running on Win7 32bit. I use Nuendo4 (original, not crack) and Nebula3pro with many AlexB programmes... Sooo... I brought my computer to the knees all too easily. But the problem is that VST Asio performance meter in Nuendo overloads and audio starts to pop and crack, while task manager shows only some 20% processor usage and ca.70% of RAM usage, running some 15 instances of Nebula with more complex AlexB and CDsoundmaster and similar programmes.

I ask how many instances would be normal to run without overloading Nuendo? Is there a fault to be searched in my system or is this normal count?

How many instances are supposed to run in Nuendo on a high spec modern PC?
Satoration
User Level I
User Level I

Re: How many instances of Nebula can you use on top PC?

Postby futur2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:17 pm

your pc may be high spec but your OS and ram (even if it's gb and not mb) are not. i recommend a x64 system and more ram! then you can also run nebula on your 32bit nuendo via jbridge to use all of your ram!
futur2

Postby Satoration » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Ah, my mistake - of course it's gb, not mb...but even so it's not overloaded - so says task manager - I came to around 70% witch ca.15 instances... So how many instanced are you guys able to run on average? Is it normal to be only around 15 before pops and cracles occur?

I suspect there is some fault to be found in Nuendo... Any Nuendo users?

I didn't go the 64bit way, since there are reports that bridges don't work well for some plug-ins, etc.
Satoration
User Level I
User Level I

Postby futur2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Satoration wrote:Ah, my mistake - of course it's gb, not mb...but even so it's not overloaded - so says task manager - I came to around 70% witch ca.15 instances... So how many instanced are you guys able to run on average? Is it normal to be only around 15 before pops and cracles occur?

I suspect there is some fault to be found in Nuendo... Any Nuendo users?

I didn't go the 64bit way, since there are reports that bridges don't work well for some plug-ins, etc.

pretty sure it's the ram. 32bit systems can't use all your ram. google "3GB switch" to make at least use of your available ram.

in the long run i can only recommend win 7. it's no problem at all to use a 32bit DAW with it. the bridges (like jbridge) make sense if you use memory intensive apps like softsamplers or nebula.
futur2

Postby Grim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 am

With 32 bit windows 15 instances is about the most I could run with Nuendo or Cubase. Check your ram useage in task manager.... Probably it will be close to 1.7Gb when you have problems.

64 bit Win7 running Cubase 32bit allows full 4Gb ram use without any bridging required & I tested up to 65 instances of AlexB consoles & R2R while still running the audio well...any more than this things got sluggish & finally crapped out at 72. This is with i7 2.8Ghz.
This was with no other plugs or vsti though, so in real world maybe I'll use 25-30 in a project depending what else is being used. (So rendering still necessary for full console & tape emulation on every track)

I haven't tried any bridging which would allow more ram use (no idea why I bought 12Gb!) but the cpu is usually the limiting factor for me now.

To get the most out of what you have, use Neb Reverb version only, Ghost mode on & tweak the xml to lower the latency (dsp buffer) if you can't deal with the delayed reaction of the default Neb reverb latency (1024,2048 are very workable even when chaining Nebs). Also run your ASIO driver at a resonably high buffer setting when mixing. (1024 a good start point again)

All this aside...it does seem odd that your ASIO meter is topping out....but see if the memory use is near 1.7 which will confirm if ram is the problem.
Grim

Postby Renan L.B » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Finally got my new i7 920 up & running and overclocked it to 3.8GHz to test Nebula and other plugins (using Reaper 3.72Pre1)

24 tracks each with one instance of CLC IL1 ST + 4 tracks with different CLC group buss programs + 2 tracks with CLC send&return programs plus CLC MBC on the Master Buss.

Total CPU usage for this was 64% and RAM usage was 1.7GB. My guess is that with the SE versions total CPU load would be about 32%/34% for the same number of tracks/instances and also fewer RAM Usage..
Renan L.B
User Level II
User Level II

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 pm

right now i only have my singlecore 1,70ghz laptop with 2gb ram and i can run 3 instances of nebula 3 pro,before my laptop starts chocking,so i render out a lot :D
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby woeischris » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 am

I have something like 35 instances right now, mostly AlexB console, Fate Comp, Fate EQ, and Mammoth EQ. CPU's running at like 35%, RAM is at 2.56GB.
woeischris

Return to Working with Nebula