Login

Tape program on every channel or only on busses?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Tape program on every channel or only on busses?

Postby indelible » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 am

Hi guys.I would like to ask a question.I use NI Maschine to produce my music.I export the files and put them in a DAW.Then I put an istance of MTC and NAG tape on every channel.If i put these programs on every group inside Maschine will this be the same or I'll loose the analog flow?
P.S:After the DAW the files goes to Propellerhead Reason 6 for mixing.
Thanks...
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Tape program on every channel or only on busses?

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:01 am

Whatever sounds good to your ears IS good. But for authenticity, you would want a console input and tape (at least!) on each channel. For true analog emulation, manypeople use tube---> console in----> tape---> maybe tape saturation---> console in (again). But this also requires either a very powerful computer or much freezing/rendering of tracks to free up CPU. I say do whatever fits your workflow AND sounds best to you. That is one of the beauties of Nebula; you don't HAVE to do a full or even accurate emulation for it to do good things to your audio. By the way, what DAW are you using that you still need to export it to another DAW for mixing??
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 am

Lately I insert NAG tape on the drum buss. And that's it.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby indelible » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:52 pm

richie43 wrote:Whatever sounds good to your ears IS good. But for authenticity, you would want a console input and tape (at least!) on each channel. For true analog emulation, manypeople use tube---> console in----> tape---> maybe tape saturation---> console in (again). But this also requires either a very powerful computer or much freezing/rendering of tracks to free up CPU. I say do whatever fits your workflow AND sounds best to you. That is one of the beauties of Nebula; you don't HAVE to do a full or even accurate emulation for it to do good things to your audio. By the way, what DAW are you using that you still need to export it to another DAW for mixing??

This is my problem.A lot of bounces from different programs and cpu request is high
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 am

Then do whatever works best for your system and work-flow. As I said, using Nebula is almost any capacity, big or small, can help add an analog flavor to your audio. Unfortunately, to get the most from Nebula requires either much bouncing/rendering or a more powerful computer. And by bouncing I mean rendering tracks down with their fx to take the load off of your CPU.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm

richie43 wrote:Whatever sounds good to your ears IS good. But for authenticity, you would want a console input and tape (at least!) on each channel. For true analog emulation, manypeople use tube---> console in----> tape---> maybe tape saturation---> console in (again). But this also requires either a very powerful computer or much freezing/rendering of tracks to free up CPU. I say do whatever fits your workflow AND sounds best to you. That is one of the beauties of Nebula; you don't HAVE to do a full or even accurate emulation for it to do good things to your audio. By the way, what DAW are you using that you still need to export it to another DAW for mixing??

Because I use Reason 6 for mixing my tracks and there is no vst/au support
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 pm

indelible wrote:Because I use Reason 6 for mixing my tracks and there is no vst/au support

At risk of sounding like a DAW fan-boy, have you thought about looking into a different DAW that can fulfill all or at least more of your needs? Like Reaper? Free uncrippled evaluation, incredibly helpful forum community, unbelievable depth, power, and customizable DAW. And very very inexpensive. Or any other DAW, just some way to eliminate some of your "middle-man" processes to get your work done more efficiently and enjoyably. If you are determined to keep your current set-up, then rendering the fx in whatever VST compatible DAW you have is still the best way to use more Nebula instances. So I'm not sure what it is you are asking. Bounce the tracks with FX in your VST compatible host and move them to Reason.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 am

i see a lot of support for reaper around, and their pricing system seems pretty thoughtful and fair. personally i'm still using cubase 4, because i mostly just use it for mixing and it can handle pretty much what i need, but there are some things that really bother me about it, like midi routing just seems kind of needlessly complex. i've just never been able to justify spending another couple hundo on an upgrade.

i might have to look into reaper..

richie makes a pretty good case for it :)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 am

why don't you use nebula tools for processing the whole audio folder?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby richie43 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 am

Cupwise wrote:i see a lot of support for reaper around, and their pricing system seems pretty thoughtful and fair. personally i'm still using cubase 4, because i mostly just use it for mixing and it can handle pretty much what i need, but there are some things that really bother me about it, like midi routing just seems kind of needlessly complex. i've just never been able to justify spending another couple hundo on an upgrade.

i might have to look into reaper..

richie makes a pretty good case for it :)

I know, off topic and probably fan-boy....
Try Reaper. Completely uncrippled free eval, a very vibrant and helpful forum community (much like this one), and a business model rivaled only by Acustica. Do a little Googling on Justin Frankel, the Reaper originator. very interesting story, very cool guy. I need to pass on to you that after years of all analog audio experience, my first attempt at digital audio left me craving a roomful of analog gear and 2inch tape. Reaper and Nebula are responsible for me even wanting to give digital audio a shot, and I am so glad that I did. I have many years of performing and session experience, studied jazz and classical, blah blah. But I never took any audio engineering classes. But now I can track, mix and create like "the big guys", and am even eeking out a living doing specialty audio stuff. Reaper is so customizable and inexpensive. Super powerful too, more and more DAW refugees are showing up in the Reaper camp. PM me if you have any questions.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula