Login

Nebula 76d tweak / closer to hardware i think

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula 76d tweak / closer to hardware i think

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 am

Ok,

I was playing with this mod yesterday for the 76d .

I've talked about the tweak before to get nebula faster .It is also been in Nebula tips page before .

So ,copy a nebula reverb xml and dll file. rename both to something you'll see as the modified nebula like Fast nebula etc.

Next open nebula the new nebula xml in note pad.Find prog rate and change it to 10 OR 20 and the same for offset.

Next open your daw and load a instance of the new named Nebula , load a 76d program.Then go to edit, then evf page and change the Q to 8 ( this is the slope of the high pass filter). Next do the Timed tweak I mentioned on the transient loss topic .The evf is already evf 17 , so no need to change that. Next go the main controls and place the high pass between 100hz and 150hz(this will stop the bass taking over the compression)

Ok , thats it . I compared this to a trial version of IK's black76 algo comp and the attack is really good sounds alot better on the smoothness side of things , alot more like hardware.But the gain reduction is not right.

Do not use this instance with anything else but compressors .I got big problems using it with eq's pres etc. BIG DISTORTIONS ETC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful ! :?
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Re: Nebula 76d tweak / closer to hardware i think

Postby musicgreator » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Besides improving the compression behavior, des it alter the sound a little bit in a bad way too? Someone said, changing the Prograte can change the frequency response and smash the sound or something like that.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:20 am

I guess you should try it.

See what you think. :)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 am

Here's my 2 cents:

In general, when it comes to a finalized preset, meaning one out circulating for use free/commercial, settings are all set to work with one another to get the most accurate or intended sound. Tweaking things could work but in my opinion when developing the preset. After the fact, tweaking things produces more or less a compromise situation. Tweak one thing make it better, make something else possibly worse.

Regarding Prog Rate change (while preset is already loaded): this could help "speed" up a comp but it will alter the character of the sound. It changes the original intention of the dev really. Also, to me it's important to allow for the entire (dev intended) kernel length to play out which a low prog rate can cut off.

Regarding EVFS modes: this is related to the shapes of the timing parameters. Not that it will make the comp faster or slower. But again, usually this is set with the intention of the dev relative to their process and the final sound they are going for while tweaking and sampling other things.

To each their own though: if you feel like you like what you are tweaking, by all means.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 am

So increasing the kernal length will bring it back into focus?

Tim
TranscendingMusic wrote:Here's my 2 cents:

In general, when it comes to a finalized preset, meaning one out circulating for use free/commercial, settings are all set to work with one another to get the most accurate or intended sound. Tweaking things could work but in my opinion when developing the preset. After the fact, tweaking things produces more or less a compromise situation. Tweak one thing make it better, make something else possibly worse.

Regarding Prog Rate change (while preset is already loaded): this could help "speed" up a comp but it will alter the character of the sound. It changes the original intention of the dev really. Also, to me it's important to allow for the entire (dev intended) kernel length to play out which a low prog rate can cut off.

Regarding EVFS modes: this is related to the shapes of the timing parameters. Not that it will make the comp faster or slower. But again, usually this is set with the intention of the dev relative to their process and the final sound they are going for while tweaking and sampling other things.

To each their own though: if you feel like you like what you are tweaking, by all means.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Tim, well overall you can't say that as a blanket statement. What we can say is after considering the dev's original intention, meaning however they analyze, examine, set and develop a preset as, only from that point can we say lowering or raising back up the kernel length can affect quality. So if you've brought it down from this original setting, then yes it will help the sound quality by bringing it back up allowing the intended kernel lengths to play out.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula