Re: Your Opinion On Purchase For Purpose

Postby genealex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Cool, thanks...
genealex
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby himhui » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm

If listening to depicataor alone, it's not bad......but when it works together with nebula, decapitator obviously sounds not like the real analog as the nebula does. Anyway, decapitator is a good product......
Last edited by himhui on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.29 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby everbeatz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Guys, don't be too obsessed with "analog sounding" - if we look at Nebula it's still something that belongs to "digital world".

Plugs are good if you know how to use them, no matter it's pure algo-driven or Nebula - everything is DSP code after all.

My approach is to dig more into technique and developing own style of mixing rather than thinking too much into what sounds closer to analog and what doesn't...majority of digital tools work pretty nice
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby lordnielson » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm

everlast wrote:Guys, don't be too obsessed with "analog sounding" - if we look at Nebula it's still something that belongs to "digital world".

Plugs are good if you know how to use them, no matter it's pure algo-driven or Nebula - everything is DSP code after all.

My opinion is to dig more into technique and developing own style of mixing rather than thinking too much into what sounds closer to analog and what doesn't...

Agreed. You can get soo caught up in "sound" that the musical message suffers.

In other words. I think the average consumer is more into musical content (grooves, riffs, lyrics etc..) than sound quality. Except for the latest Metallica album, which admittedly sounded like shit. :D
lordnielson

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

everlast wrote:Guys, don't be too obsessed with "analog sounding" - if we look at Nebula it's still something that belongs to "digital world".

My approach is to dig more into technique and developing own style of mixing rather than thinking too much into what sounds closer to analog and what doesn't...majority of digital tools work pretty nice

That's fine and well for you but, for many people who have a background in analog mixing and recording, that's a long lost sound that people are actively trying to recapture within the bounds of digital tools. While one can use Nebula to do a lot of different and interesting things in addition to analog emulation it would be crazy to think that it won't be used for that purpose because it's flat out so much better than almost any other tool for that purpose (certainly than any other tools in the price range), a purpose that people have been chasing after since DAWs became viable for full production mixes. The sound of console-to-tape is a very popular goal for a mix, and that should make perfect sense: this is the sound of almost every record that today's (and yesterday's and the day before's) adults grew up with.

While Nebula indeed "belongs to the digital world" it has some analogs with hardware (pun intended) which make it somewhat different than typical digital devices and plugins, particularly the ability to drive the input of a program in a way that the reaction is pretty damned similar to the way the hardware unit in question would respond to higher levels of signal. It may all happen in volterra kernel processing (digital) but it's clearly an (accurate) emulation of how analog equipment would handle the signal. And, to me, that's really what Nebula is all about. If you want just good tools there are actually lots of them; but not many of them approach the signal like a piece of hardware, or at least not very well.

To the OP: a chain consisting of a good console emulation (both CDSoundmaster and AlexB's consoles are all fabulous, I honestly believe you can't go wrong with any of the consoles released thus far; just a matter of picking your flavor[s]), tape machines (R2R package), tape saturation (TapeBooster+ package), and a variety of other good distortions (there are too many now to start naming them) and emu programs you can get very very close to the sound you're referring to. Keep in mind that many of the really excellent programs mentioned above are an extra expense beyond just buying Nebula; while most third party packages aren't too expensive (none of the above exceed $100 and only one exceeds $60), I generally feel it's worth knowing up front that there's an additional expense to getting a lot of the most popular and well loved programs; and there are also some programs now that do not cost anything which are very good. I'm not familiar with the comparison unit, however, so I can't really tell you how it stacks up in this discussion.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby genealex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Ok, in fact is not obsession, in my opinion it does not represent "over-thinking" to ask what is better out of the products for a given task. I'm in the process of buying something to make my soft-synths and digital mixes sound more pleasing to the human ear, and this is where my worries generally revolve around right now. The rest parameters could be more or less assured, even though some general help is always nice.

About the average consumer, I think there are cases where below average music is saved because of good production, and cases where below average production is saved by good music. But, while the opposite holds true, a recording with awful music never resisted to mortality because of it's producer.

ngarjuna yes, thank you for this notification...
genealex
User Level 0
User Level 0

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula