Login

Your Opinion On Purchase For Purpose

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Your Opinion On Purchase For Purpose

Postby genealex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:20 am

Hi,

I need a product to make my digital mixes sound more like analog, and also a product to act as a "summing box" that I will feed with sound files and will get a "processed" sounding output. I am interested in Nebula, or the Thermionic Culture Vulture.
I have heard that Nebula can do a great job on making digital more analog sounding, and I have heard some processed clips through Culture Vulture vs unprocessed clips of mixes and I was very impressed as well (I hope it won't distort much though).

For example, can Nebula do something like this to a mix: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-pro ... lture.html ?

I don't care about the distortion properties of Culture Vulture. It is also very expensive. I just want to know if it would worth the money for something like this. If Nebula could do the same thing, I would really go for Nebula.

What is your opinion?

Thank you,
Alex
genealex
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Your Opinion On Purchase For Purpose

Postby scottkane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:34 am

I guess you could get that kind of distortion with many instances of the same nebula programs

but I m not an expert :P
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Mimi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 am

Well .. My friend, let's start from the beginning ....
I was mixing my jobs, In a studio with console N**e v3, And I've always been crazy about the sound of vinyl.
I use protools, with waves plugins V3/V4/SSL4000, A digital garbage.
I thought about buying a console type mackie 32 / 8.
When used nebulafree...The S*L eq was remarkably identical ...
bought Nebula... And the consoles alexB, I did not regret a single day ...
I tape a lot of samba and jazz, rock in Brazil ...
You will be amazed with the results ...
There is a library of valves Alexb, ModernTubePrePro, What amazed me...
Already got in touch to buy it.
Buy, nebula3bundlepro, you will not regret ...I bought and am happy too ...
I just need to go to improve my computer, Because quality of real hardware, I already have.
Nebula is not digital, is the kernel of the actual hardware.
Infinitely better than the liquid mix ... I do not want anything else.

The women's team record of production in Brazil
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mimi

Postby everbeatz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:49 am

genealex wrote:I don't care about the distortion properties of Culture Vulture. It is also very expensive. I just want to know if it would worth the money for something like this. If Nebula could do the same thing, I would really go for Nebula.

What is your opinion?

Thank you,
Alex

Is there a chance to rent the Culture Vulture or maybe go to a studio to hear it "in vivo", tweak some knobs, process your own stuff there, etc?

Unloading that amount of cash for unit such as CV and eventually find it useless for your own purposes doesn't seem like a good idea to me..Making decision based solely on some processed example doesn't work for me...

Also, Nebula is soo much lighter on your wallet so I'd suggest go for that first :)

If you want something close to CV in plugin world try Sound Toys Decapitator..
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Mimi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:38 am

As I said ... The harmonic distortion of the valves Alexb, It's hard to distinguish what is real and what is nebula.
And besides a hardware cost much money, The nebula will give you the quality of hardware tube, and leave your wallet lighter.
I have a "hotsoundVT4000", A pre valve made in Brazil, That has control of age ...
Work it allows the slew rate and harmonic, Ranging between 40 years to the sounds of more modern ...
With the nebula get to this stage too.
Although eager to misting, my pre.
Nebula will not disappoint you, With ModernTubePrePro, you are good valve.

The women's team record of production in Brazil

Mimi

Postby scooter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:42 am

Save your money.
UAD Fatso can do the same and so can using a combo of Nebula TB+ Libraries, along with EQ and Compression. You can rest assured that the very same "analog" sound you speak of and are searching for, that Nebula developers and 3rd Party Library creators are going for it too! ;)

It's sad, but there is no magic bullet in this twisted game called "audio production".
-Scott
scooter

Postby piperboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:52 am

funny you mention this unit because if I am not mistaken... someone is preparing a release. I smell the opportunity for you to snatch it up for less than pennys on the dollar!!!!!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby piperboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 am

Check out "NEW Distortion... soon" post in 3rd parties by Transcending
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby genealex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 am

Well... It seems that all of you here are familiar with the thought that Nebula can do it fairly indistinguishable from the analog hardware. I will go for Nebula. In the mean time I will have saved my money for a really, really colorless hardware pre-amp. Mhwahaha.. :lol:

Thanks piperboy for the info about the topic... 8-)

Everlast, unfortunately there is only an option to buy from the internet and test for 30 days, but the payment itself would change my whole program. Also I was only interested in the "gluing/warming" attributes of it, so yes, I'm going for Nebula.

Thanks brothers and sisters!

Alex
genealex
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby everbeatz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 pm

genealex wrote:
Everlast, unfortunately there is only an option to buy from the internet and test for 30 days, but the payment itself would change my whole program. Also I was only interested in the "gluing/warming" attributes of it, so yes, I'm going for Nebula.

Thanks brothers and sisters!

Alex

For "gluing/warming" duties there are many options and mostly that doesn't necessarily depend of just one unit..but that's another topic..

I still recommend checking the demo of Decapitator - especially T and P modes ;)
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Next

Return to Working with Nebula