Login

Just how am i meant to use a nebula console?!?!?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Just how am i meant to use a nebula console?!?!?

Postby himhui » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:59 am

Definity wrote:im using it mostly in fruity loops and cubase 5 and still i get literally 3 Alex B libraries on the master of cubase and that's it!!! it 100% the processor im am on is a i7 920 32 bit is this normal?

Of course not.....
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby mordecainyc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 am

I am also able to use only a few instances of Nebula before Logic crashes. Of course, it depends on the programs used, but when using more than three or four instances of AlexB's 10 kernel programs, Logic gives up. (I work on a 2,5 year old iMac with 4 GB Ram and Intel Core 2 Duo processor).

I had already sort of accepted this and found a workflow around it (constant rendering) but it seems from this forum that some members do not have this issue and are able to load many more instances of Nebula (for instance Mimi).

Is this merely a matter of CPU/Ram etc? Is it a question of mac vs. pc? Or could this have another reason? In other words, can this be improved in any way by the user himself without buying a new computer and/or constant rendering?

This question has been asked before on this forum but I have not yet seen a clear answer to what the solution may be. It would be great if Giancarlo or another Nebula developer could take the time to chime in!
mordecainyc
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 pm

i just have a small question regarding the use/set-up of the MWC console

im using renoise as my "daw"

in the MWC manual it says insert 1 console buss out on mix-buss??is that the same as the master channel??

i havent really been interested in learning to mix/master my own stuff properly,but now i want to learn
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Mimi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:50 am

I believe the problem is in "o.s", Nebula, in windows764bits , can have numerous instances, There are cases of people running 115 nebulas in core i7.
I run about 20 cases of the nebula. my nebula, is the bundlepro.
Actually this is very strange, send an email to giancarlo.
Nebula3 in win764bits, each instance represents 1% cpu usage.
And look at that is a notebook core i7 of 1.6 mhz.
your machine can run,150 nebula.
Mimi

Postby Mimi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 am

you can run the buss in several submasters
drums, guitars, voices.
and the stereo buss of the console, in the master
entries console can be done the same thing ...
Mimi

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:01 am

Mimi wrote:you can run the buss in several submasters
drums, guitars, voices.
and the stereo buss of the console, in the master
entries console can be done the same thing ...

thanks
so im right that i can put the console buss out program on my master channel in renoise right?
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Mimi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:44 am

I separate my mix, in groups and put an "in" console to my liking.
and put an "out" buss console of my preference.
So I go riding my virtual console, with input and output, and master ...
It's easy, just use your imagination.
Example:
Channels battery, say, 16 channels, at all on a submaster.
In it, I put two nebulas, with a "in7" alexb vbc and another with "out" mbv buss alexb.
And so on the imagination.
Mimi

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:58 am

This is how I do it in REAPER:

*One Input program in all tracks (different inputs in each one of them)

I do all the editing first and then just run a rough mix: riding levels, equalization, compression, etc., just to get a big picture of the song and know it better. Then I insert input line programs in all my instruments/drums and input mic programs in vocals (my main rule here is "line for instruments that are supposed to be recorded using line" and "mic for vocals or instruments that are supposed to be recorded using microphones", though sometimes this may vary depending on the element, e.g., a guitar may be recorded through a line or mic, in this case I choose what sounds better). I won't lie, I can't really add Nebula instances in all my tracks at once so I just do it in blocks of 10 or 15 tracks which is what my current PC can handle. I also insert preamp programs before these input programs (I don't use hardware preamps anymore :) ). AlexB's Modern Tube Pre and Preamp Color Suite, Analog in the Box's Fate EQ's line in, CDSoundMaster's Siemens W285B pre and 1084 free pre, Rhythminmind's free VM-Tube and Military-Tube, etc. These are the programs I use. I render these tracks.

*One Buss Group program in my groups (in REAPER I use folder tracks)

I don't use 'colored' buss programs that much, my go-to program here is the clean version. I don't really use a lot of groups. I use one group for each singer, one group for all my drum elements and another group for the rest (except the bass, I always leave it alone). Like I said, I insert "BGC" programs in each one of these.

*One MixBuss program in the master.

I always use the CLC MixBuss Clean program (CLC MBC) here, that's the program I like the most :)

I should mention that I always split my stereo tracks to left and right channels and use different input programs in each as well as AlexB's Precision Analog Panner (-3dB mostly) to pan them hard L/R. In these cases I send both tracks to a group and then I insert a buss group program there (clean). I render these groups and then I split them again to left and right channels. Most of my processing occurs in mono tracks, the only stereo tracks I use are groups.

Hope that helps. Cheers.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby breaker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:04 pm

hi can anyone give me some tips on how to best optimise my nebula to get more instances running ?

I have a quadcore with 4gigs ram on XP 32 bit running cubase 5 and i have lots of glitchy problems with nebula.

I love using it, it sounds amazing - but i see guys posting that they have 40 instances running on similar specs to me and i really wish i could have that!

any tips anyone?

thanks

Al
breaker
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby woeischris » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Are you using the reverb version?
woeischris

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula